need a crown redone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a crown redone

No idea how I managed this but I'm sure it took skill...

Damaged the bore at the crown. Damage put a bur inside the bore deep enough that the normal tricks won't correct my screw up.

Option 1 is: Anyone have one of the manual reface/crown kits with a .338 pilot they'd rent, sell, loan?

Option 2: looking for a smith to do the work. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Call Stan Jackson.

Comment

Alaskacustom firearms will fix you up

Comment

Thanks. If I had the funds, I'd just by the kit & do it myself.. as it is, guess will see when I can get it done.

Comment

Stan Jackson would be my first choice.

Originally posted by 426nut View Post
          Call Stan Jackson.
          ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

Originally posted by rdklinak View Post
            Thanks. If I had the funds, I'd just by the kit & do it myself.. as it is, guess will see when I can get it done.
            I was hoping to get a .17HMR cleaned up, local guy wanted as much as I could buy the tool to do it myself for, price the tool before paying someone to do it IF your mechanically inclined...

Comment

Originally posted by limon32 View Post
              I was hoping to get a .17HMR cleaned up, local guy wanted as much as I could buy the tool to do it myself for, price the tool before paying someone to do it IF your mechanically inclined...
              Where did you find the tools for that price? I've looked, and all I can find is in the $250+ range.

Comment

Brownells had them at the time, a couple years ago I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It should be done in a lathe, the tool will work but not nearly as well (chatter) as a lathe. I charge $50 for a simple re-crown done in a lathe even with shipping (barreled action is like $20 postage) to me I'd be cheaper than the tool and proper bushings . . . even the little rimfire tool for 17HMR.
                  Andy
                  On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                  Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                  Call/Text 602-315-2406
                  Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Thanks to all for the info.

Comment

If its not too bad you can just lap it with a brass cap nut in a drill with valve lapping compound or even toothpaste.
                      Andy
                      On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                      Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                      Call/Text 602-315-2406
                      Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X