Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pebble

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pebble

    An article about investor groups asking the EPA for a closer look at Pebble. It's interesting because the groups asking for the review own shares in Anglo American.

    http://www.adn.com/2011/04/12/180631...oups-zero.html

  • #2
    I get a kick out of some of the pro pebble comments that the natives need the mine for jobs. The lower 48 union halls got love that.

    I doubt the investors could care about Alaska, the environment or anything but profits. And there will be enormous profits for foreign company's who have discovered Alaska is quite willing to be a colony and have it's resources extracted for a few jobs.

    Good move by the investors. Request a study, make some minor changes to keep the EPA happy, Then when the disaster happens just run around yelling " The EPA said it was OK! "

    Comment


    • #3
      Not saying your 100% wrong Jim, but having spent time at Red Dog Mine, I can say there are a ton of local folks employed there and no union....At least not when I was there.

      I suppose they are just trying to see if they are going to get stopped by regulations before they go ahead and spend a zillion dollars on the inital investmets...

      Comment


      • #4
        Smart Investors
        Better to be Pro-Active than Re-Active...everytime.
        "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
        ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

        Comment


        • #5
          Are you saying its better to ask for permission than for forgiveness?

          Maybe I misjudged you Res.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dkwarthog View Post
            Are you saying its better to ask for permission than for forgiveness?

            Maybe I misjudged you Res.

            LOL...Just always seemed easier for me to drag a logging chain than push one...having tried both!!!
            "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
            ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

            Comment


            • #7
              I know R.D. Mine employs a lot of locals but a lot of lower 48 people also. Like my bro in law from Wyoming. He also told me all the crap they put down their to get the mineral out of there.No thanks for Bristol Bay.

              Comment


              • #8
                In the meantime, on a parallel track, Donlin Creek mine, another large proposed mining complex within a couple of hundred miles and in the neighboring watershed of the proposed Peeble mine site, goes chugging along unabated by the environmental cat calls and faux fish follies.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Vidalia View Post
                  In the meantime, on a parallel track, Donlin Creek mine, another large proposed mining complex within a couple of hundred miles and in the neighboring watershed of the proposed Peeble mine site, goes chugging along unabated by the environmental cat calls and faux fish follies.
                  Shoot! Don't bring attention too it! Funny how one area must be perceived as more fragile than another. Donlin's on private property though, so they don't have much of a fight.

                  I'm hoping the investor company is just preempting and heading-off lawsuits. Maybe make it easier to permit and get built. Sad to see the negative response to this mine when they haven't even applied for a permit.

                  Tim

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tccak71 View Post
                    Shoot! Don't bring attention too it! Funny how one area must be perceived as more fragile than another. Donlin's on private property though, so they don't have much of a fight.

                    I'm hoping the investor company is just preempting and heading-off lawsuits. Maybe make it easier to permit and get built. Sad to see the negative response to this mine when they haven't even applied for a permit.

                    Tim

                    Tim, don't get hung up on formalities. These guys have dumped hundreds of millions into their "pre-permitting" work and NEPA document. This thing is coming. There's no need to wait for a formal permit application in order to form a response (negative or positive)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tccak71 View Post
                      Shoot! Don't bring attention too it! Funny how one area must be perceived as more fragile than another. Donlin's on private property though, so they don't have much of a fight.

                      I'm hoping the investor company is just preempting and heading-off lawsuits. Maybe make it easier to permit and get built. Sad to see the negative response to this mine when they haven't even applied for a permit.

                      Tim
                      You seen to have formed an opinion before the permitting. So it's ok to be supportive before anything is done, but not skeptical? Go figure.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Ironic I guess, but I'm pro-development and even more so since the enviro groups oppose every single project in the entire state-except maybe the gas line since they know it isn't getting built. They're out of control. If not Pebble, where? If not Chuitna where? Can't lock everything up.

                        Its one thing to be for/against development, but the enviros are trying to kill mining statewide over this issue, remember the vote two years ago? If I remember right, they were trying to kill every mine over 300 acres, which is a fairly small mine.

                        Tim

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tccak71 View Post
                          If not Pebble, where? If not Chuitna where? Can't lock everything up.
                          Almost anywhere else, Tim. I'm pro-development as well and would love to see more mines, oil drilling, etc., but Pebble and Chuitna are two of the absolute worst places for such mines to occur. Renewable resources like salmon are more important than coal, copper, molybdenum, oil, etc. I'd love to see more exploration on the North Slope, more mining in the interior away from major salmon-producing streams, more use of the timber resources on the Kenai Peninsula and other places affected by bark beetles, etc...but there is such a thing as the wrong place for development, especially in the form of open-pit mines with cyanide leaching and stripping up miles of riverbed. Jobs matter, but it doesn't have to be an either-or scenario. As pro-development sportsmen, we should hope for better.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nice summation Brian. I wonder how many of these Dan Fagan any development anywhere no matter what the cost types have actually been to the areas they wish to destroy.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              drill baby drill!! lest take all we can from earth! heck thats what its here for!
                              Semper Fi!

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X