No announcement yet.

Pebble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you want to see some mines that were supposed to be nice friendly mines take a ride through my homestate of montana. we now have some great superfund sites to check out. nice greenish brown water loaded with arsenic behind failing earth dams that are leaking into once pristine watersheds. whoo hooo and the best part is the mines extracted everything they could. skipped the state and declared bankrupcy so everyone else gets to pay for the cleanup aka environmental disaster. i would trade every mine especially gold for a handful of healthy spruce trees. now im not a guy looking for a bunny to fornicate with but historically mines have not been the most responsible party when it comes to the envirinment.

Comment

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...dow_left_top_2
      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Thank you . . . +1 . . :topjob:

Comment

Originally posted by tccak71 View Post
          If not Pebble, where?
          Hmmm, where indeed....Hey, I know, how about Canada?!; they've got a good track record in Canada, don't they?:think:

Massive tailings dam failure spills wastewater into B.C. Rivers: The failure of a dam holding back a large tailings pond at a gold and copper mine in British Columbia has sent 1.3 billion gallons of wastewater downstream in the Quesnel and Cariboo river system, according to numerous reports. As the CBC reports, that amount of water would fill 2,000 Olympic-sized swimming pools. Video taken from a helicopter shows a broad area affected. The mine is located 400 miles southeast of Ketchikan, reports Ketchikan Public Radio KBRD. Exactly what chemicals are in the wastewater remains unknown, reports The Tyee. The affected tributaries drain into Fraser River, where fishing for a forecast record run of sockeye salmon recently got underway. The Vancouver Sun reports that the spill puts the state of those returns in doubt, saying the peak wave of the migrating salmon will reach the Quesnel -- and the toxic debris -- in about two weeks: “The timing of this spill couldn’t be worse in terms of the return of the sockeye,” Craig Orr, executive director of Watershed Watch Salmon Society, told the Sun. Alaska has a harvest-sharing arrangement with Canada that includes some of those fish, Petersburg Vessel Owners Association’s Brian Lynch told KRBD, but the real fear in Southeast Alaska is the approximately half-dozen British Columbia mines in the planning stages much nearer to Southeast Alaska -- some of which drain into Alaska watersheds: “Guy Archibald of the Southeast Alaska Conservation Council says they all plan to store tailings, which contain acidic rock and toxic metals, behind dams similar to the one that broke,” KRBD reports. The stock price of Imperial Metals Corp. plunged to it’s lowest levels on new of the spill, destroying nearly half of the company’s value, Toronto’s Globe and Mail reported. source: http://www.adn.com/article/20140806/...e-fraser-river
          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Comment

Yet another environmental disaster, courtesy of the mining industry:

Comment

The scenes of devastation are beyond belief. Shocking. And heart-breaking. This company must be forced to clean up the entire mess. Every square inch of BC wilderness should be restored to what it once was. And no more mines should be permitted in BC until that task is done 100%.

However, I hate to say it, but I'm not surprised this happened. Mine tailings ponds are going to fail with catastrophic results. It's just a matter of when. And how bad it's going to be. And who is going to die. It appears there were no fatalities in this case, which is a miracle. But the devastation to the fish and wildlife resources in this watershed is beyond incredible. And it's not over. This will be a continuing environmental disaster for decades into the future. The heavy metals and toxic contaminants being released over time will ensure that.

For anyone who still believes Pebble Mine should be built, just look at the video. If Pebble is built, what you're seeing is the future of the Bristol Bay watershed. It's only a matter of time. Fortunately, the solution is simple - Pebble should NEVER be permitted. Ditto for any open-pit mine n the Bristol Bay watershed.

Comment

Of course insted B.C. is putting in mines on every river system it has. Yukon has a mine that could ruin the Chilkat and Glacier Bay.
                Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo Will View Post
                  Of course insted B.C. is putting in mines on every river system it has. Yukon has a mine that could ruin the Chilkat and Glacier Bay.
                  Sad but true.

http://salmonbeyondborders.org/

Comment

Trailings pond? Sounds so innocent. More like trailings lake of pollution and waste.

Comment

Well it looks like the project is moving forward.
                      "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

https://www.adn.com/business-economy...-gold-project/

Comment

Heard on the radio yesterday that the 5 major mines in Alaska have all had at least one major violation due to some kind of spill that they couldn't control. Yet people still want to put another one at the headwaters of Bristol Bay. Brilliant!
                          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X