• Show
Clear All

Earth FIRST!!!!!!

We'll strip mine the others later
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
      Almost anywhere else, Tim. I'm pro-development as well and would love to see more mines, oil drilling, etc., but Pebble and Chuitna are two of the absolute worst places for such mines to occur. Renewable resources like salmon are more important than coal, copper, molybdenum, oil, etc. I'd love to see more exploration on the North Slope, more mining in the interior away from major salmon-producing streams, more use of the timber resources on the Kenai Peninsula and other places affected by bark beetles, etc...but there is such a thing as the wrong place for development, especially in the form of open-pit mines with cyanide leaching and stripping up miles of riverbed. Jobs matter, but it doesn't have to be an either-or scenario. As pro-development sportsmen, we should hope for better.
      I'm with you on all the above. I am pro development but not at the expense of the richest fishing grounds in the world. I'm just hoping there's somebody with a freakin' clue that brings a halt to this beast.

Comment

Originally posted by jim in anchorage View Post
        Nice summation Brian. I wonder how many of these Dan Fagan any development anywhere no matter what the cost types have actually been to the areas they wish to destroy.
        Commercial fished in Bristol Bay from '97-'06. Sport fished Iliamna '84-88 and the mid-90s, flown over it many times with my dad.

Don't fish go up the Kuskokwim? Where's the howling over Donlin Creek? It'll be the largest gold mine ever in AK when it starts producing. Like I said, the "drill, baby drill" is a direct result of the no development at any cost crowd. Challenging the expansion of Red Dog; Wishbone hills. No fish runs up there.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by tccak71 View Post
          Commercial fished in Bristol Bay from '97-'06. Sport fished Iliamna '84-88 and the mid-90s, flown over it many times with my dad.

Don't fish go up the Kuskokwim? Where's the howling over Donlin Creek? It'll be the largest gold mine ever in AK when it starts producing. Like I said, the "drill, baby drill" is a direct result of the no development at any cost crowd. Challenging the expansion of Red Dog; Wishbone hills. No fish runs up there.

Tim
          http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Donlin....html?x=0&.v=1

Donlin Looks like a real winner for Anchorage residents. I thought we were running out of gas? Maybe I can heat my home with gold?

DCLLC is considering the construction of an underground 12-inch pipeline approximately 525 kilometers (325 miles) from the upper Cook Inlet area to the proposed Donlin Creek mine site. Gas from the pipeline would be used to produce electricity at site. The capital cost of the pipeline could be partially offset by cost savings from elimination of the wind cogeneration facility, the potential for a shorter access road and a significant reduction in requirements for diesel storage, with some additional cost reduction opportunities. The potential impact of the pipeline option on capital and operating costs will be addressed in a revision to the project feasibility study.

Comment

Originally posted by jim in anchorage View Post
            I thought we were running out of gas? Maybe I can heat my home with gold?
            At the rate gas prices are increasing, it might be cost effective......
            “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
            "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Comment

Originally posted by tccak71 View Post
              Like I said, the "drill, baby drill" is a direct result of the no development at any cost crowd.

Tim
              Nope, it's a product of some special interests and their bought and paid for politicians convincing the misinformed and gullable that we can somehow drill our way to energy independence. Then the ignorant go around spouting lies about how if we increase domestic oil production the price at the pump will go down. The other big fat lie some like to spout is that open pit mies don't pollute.

Check this out Tim; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brj2UkUPjCI

Then look at some facts.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ast-year-was-/

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2...lly_wrong.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4542853/...s-environment/

Comment

8 bucks a gal by fall in anchorage i hear
                Semper Fi!

Comment

Originally posted by greythorn3 View Post
                  8 bucks a gal by fall in anchorage i hear

I heard mullets where making a comeback....

...Don't mean it's true.....

*crosses fingers and hope it ain't even close to true*
                  “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
                  "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post

...Don't mean it's true.....

*crosses fingers and hope it ain't even close to true*
                    I hope they are lol.
                    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Comment

he probably just jealous case he bald! anyhow no nazi skinhead look for me. plus i need something to blow when i got my t-tops off the car in the summertime!
                      Semper Fi!

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
                        A comeback? Did they ever go out of style here? I still see a lot of women proudly rockin' those 70's perms too.

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineEarl View Post
                          A comeback? Did they ever go out of style here? I still see a lot of women proudly rockin' those 70's perms too.

u right thats one style that never left alaska, what that silly question of his he must be a transplant from the lower 48
                          Semper Fi!

Comment

Now the debate seems to be coming back to the basic question; Salmon or Gold? http://www.adn.com/2011/04/27/183128...n-streams.html

Comment

In the spirit of the "can do" attitude spawned of blind ignorance that seems all too common around here, I offer the following suggestion: Genetically modify Atlantic salmon into some sort of mutation that can be raised in toxic tailings ponds and run-off there of.

Short of that, you're going to have to choose between short term greed and long term biological habitat health. No two ways about it.
                              ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                              I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                              The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Don't know how much I trust the Nature Conservatory or the Wild Salmon Project...They reek of whack-jobs. If not Pebble, where? Be careful throwing in your lot with "them," they'd love to "protect habitat" to the extent of shutting down hunting and fishing, all in the name of preservation, not conservation. Just sayin'.

Tim

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X