No announcement yet.

Susitna River dam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tsk tsk....Res walks away from the computer, kicks the dog outta the way and goes out to the woodshed for another load of wood. Gonna get cold tonight!!!.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

Susitna dam.... YGTBFK, right?

Another ridiculously stupid idea being resurrected from the past.

Just say NO!
      "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
      sigpic
      The KeenEye MD

Comment

Hydro power would be great. It could help power the mines that are coming.

Comment

I know that there are some negatives associated with this dam, but I hope it gets the go-ahead and is built. Yes, it is going to have an environmental impact, and may harm the salmon run to an unknown degree. However, I sincerely believe that the positives make it worth it. Lots of jobs (some may even go to Alaskans), a steady source of power for FBX, Anchorage, Delta, Wasilla, and all the small towns along the way. It would help the state reach its goal of 50% of power from renewable energy sources, and maybe help GVEA in Fairbanks stop burning oil for creating electricity, which makes my electric bill fluctuate all over the place every 3 months. Remember that Cook Inlet is going to run out of gas at some point. Yeah, we could build more coal plants, but until the technology is available to capture emissions from coal plants (and "clean coal" does not really do that yet) it will not be as environmentally friendly as hydro. And like Mr. Pid said, it will provide power to the mines that are coming at some point. I am sure it will impact some, but the benefit is huge in my mind.

I think we are probably getting excited over nothing, because the chances of it actually getting completed are about the same as a gas line.

Slim

and

None
          roud:
          “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Great idea. Can't develop Cook Inlet gas; no pipeline to get gas to the Interior/Southcentral and Mat-Su shot down a coal plant, so yea, get 'er done!

Tim

Comment

I say build it. Then fly a big jet to Yellow Knife, grab 4 to 10 loads of trophy lake trout and stock it up! I personally have no hidden agena on this subject. Anyone have a lakefront lot for sale cheap?
              I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
              Bill Hicks

Comment

Originally posted by dkwarthog View Post
                Wait now, we have a brazillian cubic feet of nat gas available that is clean burning energy and we're even talking about building a dam on the Devils canyon at a cost of how many billions? Who is doing the economic analysis here? Ren and Stimpy?
                Gotta ask (like the blondes!) "Just how many is a Brazillian?" :confused::confused:

Seriously though... how long til the lake fills in with silt and makes it impossible to spin the turbines? And what are you left with then?

Comment

Originally posted by chriso View Post
                  Gotta ask (like the blondes!) "Just how many is a Brazillian?" :confused::confused:

Seriously though... how long til the lake fills in with silt and makes it impossible to spin the turbines? And what are you left with then?
                  Good call, if you have a good idea how long that will take hit me up so I can invest in the dredge equipment that it will take to clear it back out!

Comment

Lakes Louise, Susitna, and Tyone haven't filled in yet.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtofak View Post
                      I say build it. Then fly a big jet to Yellow Knife, grab 4 to 10 loads of trophy lake trout and stock it up! I personally have no hidden agena on this subject. Anyone have a lakefront lot for sale cheap?
                      better be in a NON subsistence area... or you still wont have any...

EdIT>> hey NOBODY will be able to file Customary and tradtional... BULLSPITNOTHING>
                      "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Originally posted by fishNphysician View Post
                        Susitna dam....
                        If they do build a dam it might make for an easier argument to build a couple mega sockeye hatcheries. You know, to take some pressure off the Kenai :wink
                        sigpic

I'm taking a poll
                        <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Comment

I am curious if one of our fish bio's could comment on the feasibility of developing an artificial red salmon run using a man made lake like this. I certainly don't have a ton of knowledge about what it takes to grow fish but I know that reds are a lake spawner which is why they do so well in the bristol bay area with the massive lakes available to them. It would seem as though with proper planning it may be able to be developed since we are essentially building a giant lake. A spillway/fish-ladder should be pretty straightforward to let them get up over the dam and into the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by LuJon View Post
                            I am curious if one of our fish bio's could comment on the feasibility of developing an artificial red salmon run using a man made lake like this. I certainly don't have a ton of knowledge about what it takes to grow fish but I know that reds are a lake spawner which is why they do so well in the bristol bay area with the massive lakes available to them. It would seem as though with proper planning it may be able to be developed since we are essentially building a giant lake. A spillway/fish-ladder should be pretty straightforward to let them get up over the dam and into the lake.
                            It wouldn't work LuJon. You would have to feed them and it wouldn't be cost effective. To naturally sustain sockeye salmon you need zooplankton which is fickle enough in the natural systems. The BB lakes have an abundance, of zooplankton. thats why its so important not to over-escape systems because the gas that comes off the decomposing carcass kills it. I'm no expert either maybe nerka will see this and elaborate
                            sigpic

I'm taking a poll
                            <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Comment

so looking at my maps i have been working on... a light bulb is growing. here... as for WHY all the Ahtna land was selected at the top of the canyon...

so

if it goes through..

will Ahtna OWN it?

get bought out land wise...

or just get more?
                              "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

A few dams here a few dams there and pretty soon you have.... California. I hear the sockeye fishing on the west coast of the us is not so good these days. How stupid can we be to follow that path to destruction??

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X