New Approach to Sitka Deer Habitat Modeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Approach to Sitka Deer Habitat Modeling

Alaska Wildlife News is an online magazine published by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Mine says sorry no content available. Is it a link? Would like to see it. Or is that the new approach? I am a big aficionado, sometimes sarcasm is lost on me in the written word, LOL.

Comment

Both links work fine for me.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
      Both links work fine for me.
      Weird. I’ll have to go to the computer instead of Tapatalk.

Thank you.

Comment

Got it!

Nice to see some work being done. If I am not mistaken they have not done significant work with blacktail habitat since John Schoen was doing it back when.

Comment

(Bite my tongue) -
          https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wild...ikely-to-fail/
          "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Comment

While it sounds like a wonderful idea, I think old mom nature is going to be the determining factor here. If the habitat isn't right, it just isn't going to work. There have been deer in south Anchorage from time to time.

Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
              While it sounds like a wonderful idea, I think old mom nature is going to be the determining factor here. If the habitat isn't right, it just isn't going to work. There have been deer in south Anchorage from time to time.
              The habitat isn't close to right. It's foolish to spend any money at all studying this - any F&G bio could tell the governor that this won't work. Maybe mule deer or whitetail, but not Sitka Blacktail. And introducing new species is not free of risk to the endemic species present.

Comment

If we transplant deer to the Mat-Su for hunters we should also transplant Asian Carp into the Yukon for fishermen. It's only fair.

But the OP has nothing to do with this nonsense. It's about using lidar to model habitat in SE, which is pretty cool.
                ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

It's about using lidar to model habitat in SE, which is pretty cool.
                  That's all I was thinking when I posted it.
                  Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Oh yes, I do apologize - it is off topic! I confess to being taken away by the sheer coincidence. Back to the lidar ......
                    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Comment

I found a dead deer in the Knik river bottoms onetime some years ago. It was a whole , young deer, maybe a fawn or yearling? well away from the road, kind of dried up and mummified, dead in a dense thicket. This may have been around the same time frame that several deer were noted in the Anchorage area. It would be great to have a hunt able deer population in the Valley but if it were gonna happen it would be happening naturally by now is my guess.

Comment

If we transplant deer to the Mat-Su for hunters we should also transplant Asian Carp into the Yukon for fishermen. It's only fair.

But the OP has nothing to do with this nonsense. It's about using lidar to model habitat in SE, which is pretty cool.
                        Haha yep. Maybe throw in some feral hogs.

Comment

Well, in the lake in Cuddy Park here in Anchorage there was a pretty good population of goldfish. Some big ones too. It's next to my office and I remember seeing some riding through there on my bike.
                          They are a type of carp, so careful what you ask for. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anch...ant-them-gone/

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X