No announcement yet.

Polar Bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We don't know, we can't know..." strikes me as head in the sand denialism; a contrived excuse to deny our actions and ignore the inevitable consequences, even as we see them happening all around us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	24_co2-graph-061219-768px.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	2764206
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
      LOL. Well, certainly can't argue at least the second half of that. This will certainly be the first time the human species gets to witness its own extinction, and attempt to understand it.
      Humanity has lived through more than a couple degrees of temperature increase over a few hundred years, history and science proves this. Science tells us that at one point in time about 70,000-75,000 years ago due in large part to rapid climate change, humanity had about 3,000-10,000 individuals and we somehow managed to survived that. It's certainly possible that a 2 degree temperature change wipes humanities 7 billion plus population off the face of the earth in it's entirety, but that would be highly unlikely and there is nothing in the historical record to support such a crazy and fantastical idea, only a modern misunderstanding could lead to such nonsensical thinking. Some of us understand that, others LOL at it.
      I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

"We don't know, we can't know..." strikes me as head in the sand denialism; a contrived excuse to deny our actions and ignore the inevitable consequences, even as we see them happening all around us.
        According to NASA climate changes are rapid, and happened frequently in the past.

And you talk about denialism. A contrived excuse to deny science and history, even as we see them happening all around us indeed!
        I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	24_co2-graph-061219-768px.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	2764206
          Looks like people should stop breathing. Oh wait.
          Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post

Actually, your comment is intended to be a joke but honestly I have often thought that the key to solving any increase in CO2 levels is not to reduce possible sources, because there are endless sources of CO2, some natural (ocean, melting permafrost, people and animals breathing lol etc.) and some man-made (automobile emissions etc.), but rather designing a method to remove excess CO2, whether naturally through more plants (photosynthesis removes CO2 from the atmosphere) being planted, or man-made (designing some type of technology that can artificially simulate photosynthesis). Ironically, the people that do most of the complaining (I'm not going to point fingers and turn this into a political pissing match) are the people who live in mostly urban areas that drive lots of automobiles and live in concrete jungles with no trees. If they really want to make a difference, perhaps they should move someplace rural, start walking to work and plant a garden. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post

And they will. This will be a self rectifying problem soon enough.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
              I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
              The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

And they will. This will be a self rectifying problem soon enough.
                Hahahahahaha, I know it wasn't intended to be funny but it is. Lol

Comment

Fun reading on 'capuccino bears'.
                  https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0419093151.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post

Hahahahahaha, I know it wasn't intended to be funny but it is. Lol
                    Indeed it is!
                    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Wow, this one went down a rabbit hole fast. As for polar bears, they either will adapt or they won't. (I personally think they will) Whether they do or don't, it we be long after we are all gone. A polar bear was surviving just fine in the interior of Alaska way below the arctic circle until he blundered too close to Fort Yukon and a young native fellow named Zeb Cadzow shot it. He was fined $1,200.00 for it if I remember correctly. I know Zeb well, he robbed a couple of my trap line cabins up on the Salmon Fork of the Black. I was able to get the troopers to land in his yard (Also on the Salmon Fork) with a helicopter for that, twice.

As for temperature levels, humans have survived at temperatures far above and below any (realistic) projected temperature changes, at least within the foreseeable future.

As for carbon dioxide, humans will adapt to that too, if not physiologically, we will through innovation, with oxygen generators. Either way, it will all happen after you and I and all of your children and grand children are long gone.

As for me, I'm going to spend as much time with my butt in a boat seat and not worry about it. I tend to not worry too much about things I cannot change.
                      Last edited by mark knapp; 12-15-2020, 10:39.

Comment

All threads have gone down a rabbit hole fast lately.
                        Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Comment

The resident Kaktovik bears will not have to adapt to anything as long as the polar bear tours keep feeding them buckets of whale parts and other meats out by the bone pile. And before you try to roast me on it.... yes i have seen them do it multiple times when i was up there for work.
                          I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                          but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
                            All threads have gone down a rabbit hole fast lately.
                            For sure. This forum has gotten pretty ridiculous. Seems more like the liberal main stream media than a outdoor forum. I'm really starting to understand why a lot of good people left or rarely post anymore. Too bad really cause it used to be a pretty neat place.

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post

For sure. This forum has gotten pretty ridiculous. Seems more like the liberal main stream media than a outdoor forum. I'm really starting to understand why a lot of good people left or rarely post anymore. Too bad really cause it used to be a pretty neat place.
                              I know what you mean, just like all those liberals that are against Pebble Mine. . Just trying to get your goat. Did I get it?

Comment

Originally posted by mark knapp View Post

I know what you mean, just like all those liberals that are against Pebble Mine. . Just trying to get your goat. Did I get it?
                                Not quite....you got part of it right though. I'm not a liberal, but I sure as hell was against Pebble!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X