New Aquatic Farmsite Coming to Resurrection Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Aquatic Farmsite Coming to Resurrection Bay

Looks like there will be an approximately 30 acre (900 feet by 1,400 feet) aquatic farmsite about a quarter mile south of Lowell Point operating between the end of October and March each year and farming ribbon kelp and sugar kelp potentially for the next decade. If you are interested in reading about such things here's the preliminary decision that includes the development plan https://aws.state.ak.us/OnlinePublic...aspx?id=125183

Here is the public notice and information about the comment period that ends on December 4th, 2020 https://aws.state.ak.us/OnlinePublic...aspx?id=200012

With the state of our economy and the limited impact this appears to have, especially considering the time of year they will be growing the kelp, this project seems like a good way to diversify our local economy while possibly developing a new industry.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Seems like an odd time of year to grow a plant. Dark. Or is that when they harvest and process the kelp?

Comment

Originally posted by NRick View Post
      Seems like an odd time of year to grow a plant. Dark. Or is that when they harvest and process the kelp?
      The way I read it they grow from October to March and harvest in March then remove all of the equipment. I thought it strange to grow during winter but I guess they know something we don't. I thought some species of kelp can grow up to a foot per day during the summer so maybe that's too much growth or it doesn't make a good product to market?
      I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
      Working...
      X