Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manage Alaska's resources to hire Alaskans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manage Alaska's resources to hire Alaskans?

From the ADN: https://www.adn.com/opinions/2017/08...help-vanishes/

So while we have chronic unemployment in rural Alaska and a high unemployment rate overall, the fish processor import alien workers from all over the world to work the slime lines.

Obviously at least Trident can afford to pay a bit more to attract domestic workers: https://craigmedred.news/2017/07/19/richest-fisherman/

Not really a question of politics - both political parties overall embrace cheap foreign labor in one way or another.

The question is - should Alaska's resources be managed to require domestic hiring where possible?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Originally posted by tvfinak View Post
    The question is - should Alaska's resources be managed to require domestic hiring where possible?
    "where possible"? Where would it not be "possible"? This mealy-mouthed caveat is tacked onto every disingenuous rant about domestic vs. foreign labor. Fact is the typical U.S. consumer doesn't want to pay the true cost of producing anything we consume. A person wanting to make a convincing argument should work to pass a bill requiring the entire Ag industry to hire only domestic labor, pay a living wage, and pass the cost on to the consumer; put up or shut up.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

possible..

"Where possible" should certainly be very limited - I was simply trying to avoid that discussion in favor of the larger topic.

Along the lines of higher wages: http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/...ruction-wages/ Note that the author did screw up and use "AK" for Arkansas - a common mistake.

Higher costs should be more than matched by tax cuts resulting from elimination of welfare and unemployment benefits, and not having to provide costly benefits to alien workers. Overall - it is a win-win for the American worker.

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
      "where possible"? Where would it not be "possible"? This mealy-mouthed caveat is tacked onto every disingenuous rant about domestic vs. foreign labor. Fact is the typical U.S. consumer doesn't want to pay the true cost of producing anything we consume. A person wanting to make a convincing argument should work to pass a bill requiring the entire Ag industry to hire only domestic labor, pay a living wage, and pass the cost on to the consumer; put up or shut up.
      Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
      ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Comment

Higher costs should be more than matched by tax cuts resulting from elimination of welfare and unemployment benefits, and not having to provide costly benefits to alien workers. Overall - it is a win-win for the American worker.
        You should test your theory by getting legislation passed and see if the American worker/American consumer agrees with you.
        ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Comment

A person wanting to make a convincing argument should work to pass a bill requiring the entire Ag industry to hire only domestic labor, pay a living wage, and pass the cost on to the consumer; put up or shut up.
          That would certainly yield some very hungry consumers. The domestic labor you speak of will not do field work at any price. And I'm not sure what a living wage is but field labor is $15 an hour now, minimum.

Comment

supply & demand..

Without a glut of cheap foreign labor, (and handouts for those that don't care to work) supply and demand will ultimately determine the labor rate. Some businesses will survive, some won't - that's life.

The labor rate is typically only a small percentage of the price of most goods anyway. I'd bet on fish it 5 or 10 cents a pound at most of the retail price.

Charity is - and always has been - there to help those that work and can't make it.

Originally posted by gbflyer View Post
            That would certainly yield some very hungry consumers. The domestic labor you speak of will not do field work at any price. And I'm not sure what a living wage is but field labor is $15 an hour now, minimum.

Comment

........Fact is the typical U.S. consumer doesn't want to pay the true cost of producing anything we consume. A person wanting to make a convincing argument should work to pass a bill requiring the entire Ag industry to hire only domestic labor, pay a living wage, and pass the cost on to the consumer; put up or shut up.
              So, if your allegation is accurate, are you supportive of importing slave labor, or importing products manufactured abroad with slave labor over there? If not, why don't you work to pass a bill requiring the payment of "a living wage" for imported labor, and sanctions against foreign manufacturers who don't pay a living wage abroad? Have you so put up?

Comment

Originally posted by RTaylor View Post
                ...why don't you work to pass a bill requiring the payment of "a living wage" for imported labor, and sanctions against foreign manufacturers who don't pay a living wage abroad?
                Why don't I? Because I recognize the reality that it's an unrealistic notion, sadly unsupported by the majority of U.S. consumers. The question was this:
                ...to which I say 'good luck with that'.

Comment

Why don't I? Because I recognize the reality that it's an unrealistic notion, sadly unsupported by the majority of U.S. consumers........
                  A similarly stupid such vote occurred in Seattle regarding a "living minimum wage" (although it didn't particularly target foreign or imported workers), and it passed. You don't think other Americans are as stupid as Seattle residents?

Comment

So, if your allegation is accurate, are you supportive of importing slave labor, or importing products manufactured abroad with slave labor over there? If not, why don't you work to pass a bill requiring the payment of "a living wage" for imported labor, and sanctions against foreign manufacturers who don't pay a living wage abroad? Have you so put up?
                    A similarly stupid such vote occurred in Seattle regarding a "living minimum wage" (although it didn't particularly target foreign or imported workers), and it passed. You don't think other Americans are as stupid as Seattle residents?
                    Are you for? Against? ...Truculent?

Comment

Are you for? Against? ...Truculent?
                      I absolutely love to watch the stupid wallow in the consequences of their stupidity, especially if they continue to reject the obvious truth.

And I'm exceedingly truculent.

Comment

Wean the Trident Execs off the govt subsidized teat. Let the market determine the wage, end all imported VISA workers, allow the fish processors to pay whatever wage that can attract workers. Go back to the 1996 Welfare Reform rules where the idea was to move people to the workforce. If you need the govt to import workers for you maybe your economic model isn't profitable and you need a new line of business.
                        My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Comment

exactly..

Right on!

Alaska shouldn't allow alien workers at the same time there is chronic employment in rural Alaska. It has to cheaper and easier to fly someone in from the bush than from Europe or the Philippines or Central America.

The hours worked also needs to be examined. Tired workers make mistakes and get hurt - and fishing and processing is dangerous enough already. If an industry in America can't provide safe working conditions it should not exist.

Originally posted by Mkay View Post
                          Wean the Trident Execs off the govt subsidized teat. Let the market determine the wage, end all imported VISA workers, allow the fish processors to pay whatever wage that can attract workers. Go back to the 1996 Welfare Reform rules where the idea was to move people to the workforce. If you need the govt to import workers for you maybe your economic model isn't profitable and you need a new line of business.

Comment

.......Alaska shouldn't allow alien workers at the same time there is chronic employment in rural Alaska. It has to cheaper and easier to fly someone in from the bush than from Europe or the Philippines or Central America.........
                            Hear, hear! It's pretty tough to hear people whine about a lack of work when they're flooding in from the Third World to work. And it's not like the argument about "jobs that Americans won't do". People in the Bush are crying about not having any fish to filet.

Well, give them some. Thousands of them.............

http://live.laborstats.alaska.gov/labforce/

Comment

..won't do..

"Don't want to do" is more correct. As long as you can get a free ride - why walk?

As the stats show - there are plenty of people in Alaska needing jobs. Fish processing is no / low skill job so Alaska's rural residents are qualified.

Likewise for a lot of jobs in the tourism business.

Why do we allow this situation to exist in Alaska?

Hear, hear! It's pretty tough to hear people whine about a lack of work when they're flooding in from the Third World to work. And it's not like the argument about "jobs that Americans won't do". People in the Bush are crying about not having any fish to filet.

Well, give them some. Thousands of them.............

http://live.laborstats.alaska.gov/labforce/

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X