Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manage Alaska's resources to hire Alaskans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver Bay Seafoods...

Looks like Silver Bay Seafoods was forced to hire Americans for a change:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...-visa-workers/ I'd bet the situation was similar with other processors.

Interesting that they went to 32 states and American territories to hire American workers. Appears they failed to fully use Alaskan resources - our own unemployed rural and urban residents. Surely it is easier to find willing workers in rural Alaska than Puerto Rico - or is it?

The term used in the article - " unmotivated adults on government aid programs" come to mind.

Surely we can manage one of Alaska's great resources - our people - much better!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Comment

American workers..

Like the fish processors, the tech companies claimed they couldn't find American workers to hire. But in reality, they just wanted to hire cheap foreign workers to avoid paying competitive wages. And we know that companies like Apple and Oracle conspired to hold down wages for workers, and then claimed they couldn't find help.

I'd bet money the fish processors do the same thing- do they all pay the same rate, or do some pay more to attract the workers they need? Has the state ever investigated the wages paid by the processors, and why they can't hire Alaskan resources?

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/...ct-us-workers/
      Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
      ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Comment

Originally posted by tvfinak View Post
        Looks like Silver Bay Seafoods was forced to hire Americans for a change:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...-visa-workers/ I'd bet the situation was similar with other processors.

Interesting that they went to 32 states and American territories to hire American workers. Appears they failed to fully use Alaskan resources - our own unemployed rural and urban residents. Surely it is easier to find willing workers in rural Alaska than Puerto Rico - or is it?

The term used in the article - " unmotivated adults on government aid programs" come to mind.

Surely we can manage one of Alaska's great resources - our people - much better!
        Grandpa used to say, lead, follow or get out of the way! We have way to many people choosing to simply get out of the way and our givement is enabling them. The white becoming of age middle class in the lower 48 wants nothing to do with physical labor. We call them izdisdas! They sit by their mailboxes the third week of every month wondering iz dis da day we get our check. There shouldn't be any government check!

One other thing grandpa used to say and I agree "a man that won't work shouldn't eat!" Man has our government screwed that one up! They are all "unmotivated adults on government programs" I will agree that people are one of the greatest resources but the government is turning them into sheep. We had a massive hail storm roll through here a few years back. School was out for the summer. This is a college town and their had to be 500 voting age men in this town with nothing to do all summer. Yet local contractors had to resort to hiring Mexican workers out of the packing plants to roof house and they worked hard and without resolve. They all had green cards and were paid the same and they should have been paid more.

So what's the answer? Apparently building more low or no rent housing to house those that won't work. Each housing unit will be equipped with rows of mailboxes so the givement can send them their food stamps.

Do you folk in Alaska have low/no rent housing projects? It is absolutely not a race deal with me as lazy is lazy and our non working folk are all as lily white as I am!

Comment

I can tell you that the processor in Valdez ships in most of it's labor from other countries. A lot of crime comes in with it. They have some kind of housing arrangement for these groups they bring in. They were raided by ICE several years ago and had a lot of their workforce deported due to being here illegally. Supposedly they are on the level now.

Alaskans can't afford to go to Valdez to work due to the cost of housing. You can't find a simple place to rent in Valdez for less than about $1200 per month.

My first real jobs were during my summers in High School at the canneries in Kenai. Back then, you never saw foreign workers. It was all kids, mostly college kids, and we had a 100 people standing outside the door waiting for a foreman to step out and grab the number of workers they needed for that day. Once on the line, you put in 16 hour days, 6 days a week. And we did it all for somewhere around $7.50 per hour, IIRC. And that was good money. These days, it seems like you can't get a high school or college kid to do this kind of work. It's a cultural decline more than anything else. They are unwilling to work. And I just do not understand that. An entire generation of people raised without a work ethic and a lack of moral character. That is the root of most of our problems, and the reason why your fish are being cleaned by Filipinos.
          Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

multiple issues..

There are multiple issues somewhat tied together

One is the cultural issue of entitlement and lack of work ethic that you mention - but teaching that to a generation or two required a lack of decent paying jobs and handouts to those that didn't want to work. The availability of legal and illegal drugs is another issue.

Both political parties contributed to the problem for different reasons, so it is not really a political issue.

As you mention the wages when you grew up were pretty good, and they attracted Americans that wanted and needed to work. Many like you and I were able to pay for a college education and/or get a start in life by working jobs like this - we must bring that opportunity back by forcing companies to hire American workers. Supply and demand will determine the wages.

At the same time we must reduce the benefits for the less motivated to provide an incentive to work. As I always told my kids, hunger is a powerful incentive. There are always less desirable jobs but someone has to do them - might as well be Americans.

Originally posted by JOAT View Post
            I can tell you that the processor in Valdez ships in most of it's labor from other countries. A lot of crime comes in with it. They have some kind of housing arrangement for these groups they bring in. They were raided by ICE several years ago and had a lot of their workforce deported due to being here illegally. Supposedly they are on the level now.

Alaskans can't afford to go to Valdez to work due to the cost of housing. You can't find a simple place to rent in Valdez for less than about $1200 per month.

My first real jobs were during my summers in High School at the canneries in Kenai. Back then, you never saw foreign workers. It was all kids, mostly college kids, and we had a 100 people standing outside the door waiting for a foreman to step out and grab the number of workers they needed for that day. Once on the line, you put in 16 hour days, 6 days a week. And we did it all for somewhere around $7.50 per hour, IIRC. And that was good money. These days, it seems like you can't get a high school or college kid to do this kind of work. It's a cultural decline more than anything else. They are unwilling to work. And I just do not understand that. An entire generation of people raised without a work ethic and a lack of moral character. That is the root of most of our problems, and the reason why your fish are being cleaned by Filipinos.

Comment

Originally posted by JOAT View Post

That's a scarily accurate analysis, I'm afraid. I also remember trying, WANTING to work the slime line in Kenai in high school. I never did get hired, but man, I was ready to make that money, live on the beach for a couple of months, and have good money when the season ended.

Nowadays many kids (I won't say all, because I know some driven ones) don't even want to learn to drive, let alone work. It's definitely a weird societal shift.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X