Trump and ANWR...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cod View Post
    Not sure of your position. Sounds like you're saying.... "it is someone else's fault that these 3 areas mentioned are failing". And, duh, if only they could squander a few billion more of our tax dollars from working Americans, THEN, they could maybe run them right! .....(suckerrrrr!) Good grief. 19 trillion plus in debt, still growing, and STILL some people don't figure out the obvious.
    The point is, they didn't run them successfully (regardless of the reasons) and they were initiatives of the govt bureaucracy.
    The premis was that the three programs were used as an argument that government involved in business is always a failure. Point in fact, the USPS has been extremely successful in its stated government mission. And has been for close to 200 years. It's current problems are not due to a poorly managed system, rather they are due to a changing marketplace and an unwillingness by Congress to compete directly with private enterprise. (A position I agree with, fed-ex and brown do a fine job there.) However, there is and always will be a need for traditional mail service.

The VA and healthcare system are just completely not supportive of the argument at all. They are irrelivant to the discussion. The VA needs more funding not less. We should keep our promises to our veterens, period. If that means masive cuts to defense spending, then so be it. And the failing American healthcare system is a privatly operated system and not a government program at all. If your argument is that Medicare/Medicaid is a failing program then that is what you should say. Although, they are expensive programs, I doubt you could make the argument that they are failing or bad. Try and take away medicaid from the elderly and see what happens.

If you are angry with how expensive government is then stop electing the big spenders. Each side of the isle has them, our own Reps in congress
    are responsible with massively contributing to that burden. The problem with that is, every American has his/her own pet project and expectation. Personally I would like to see a massive reduction of the military budget, 60-70% reduction. And a single payer healthcare system. Do I have all the answers? No, just opinions.

Democracy by deffinition is an imperfect system, its designed for compromise. When working properly nobody will get exactly what they want and there will always be the dissatisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by KantishnaCabin View Post
      ...... And the failing American healthcare system is a privatly operated system and not a government program at all........
      I argue that American medicine is the best in the history of mankind. I clearly remember medical treatment in the 1950's and 1960's, and I'm exceedingly relieved that I'm growing old today. Within my lifetime, under American leadership, the scourge of mankind (smallpox) was eradicated from the face of the Earth. Think about that for a moment. Add to that thought that, the very year after smallpox was officially announced as gone (a feat never before accomplished), polio was officially eradicated from the United States.

Let's talk about tuberculosis in Alaska. It used to wipe out entire villages in a single winter season as recently as the 1970's. Now? It's still out there and a potential threat, but it's pretty much just a bad historical memory.

........Personally I would like to see a massive reduction of the military budget, 60-70% reduction.........
      The incredible technological advances of the past half century, including those of medicine, are directly attributable to spin-off technologies originating from massive military spending starting with the Space Race of the 1960's. Ronald Reagan understood that and, despite the opposition from the REAL problem with the United States (cultural and ideological warfare), created yet another technological leap forward with Star Wars. That move ended the Cold War and led to the amazing computer/phone in my hand that I'm typing on right now.

Our problem isn't a failing medical system. Our problems are ideological propaganda, cultural and political warfare, and unreasonable demands.

Comment

Originally posted by RTaylor View Post
        I argue that American medicine is the best in the history of mankind. I clearly remember medical treatment in the 1950's and 1960's, and I'm exceedingly relieved that I'm growing old today. Within my lifetime, under American leadership, the scourge of mankind (smallpox) was eradicated from the face of the Earth. Think about that for a moment. Add to that thought that, the very year after smallpox was officially announced as gone (a feat never before accomplished), polio was officially eradicated from the United States.

Let's talk about tuberculosis in Alaska. It used to wipe out entire villages in a single winter season as recently as the 1970's. Now? It's still out there and a potential threat, but it's pretty much just a bad historical memory.

The incredible technological advances of the past half century, including those of medicine, are directly attributable to spin-off technologies originating from massive military spending starting with the Space Race of the 1960's. Ronald Reagan understood that and, despite the opposition from the REAL problem with the United States (cultural and ideological warfare), created yet another technological leap forward with Star Wars. That move ended the Cold War and led to the amazing computer/phone in my hand that I'm typing on right now.

Our problem isn't a failing medical system. Our problems are ideological propaganda, cultural and political warfare, and unreasonable demands.
        WOW, are you now arguing FOR the massive government spending that was behind the research in the smallpox, polio, mumps.... etc. Those were all government funded research programs run by the department of health. And just a second ago you were arguing that the massive government debt was going to sink the country. The benevolent Mr. Reagan piled on 2 trillion to our national debt you so elequently said was going to implode our country.

Please don't get me wrong, I really do understand your premis. But, the debts have to be paid, that is our burden. We spent it already and people hate to loose their favorite program. Whether it be healthcare or defense.

Sorry, I hate when I get sucked off into the weeds in a hopeless political rant on a non political forum. I'll stop now.

Comment

Originally posted by KantishnaCabin View Post
          WOW, are you now arguing FOR the massive government spending that was behind the research in the smallpox, polio, mumps.... etc. Those were all government funded research programs run by the department of health......
          With the result of the eradication of killer diseases? You bet I am. I love success. It's wasteful entitlements we don't need.

........And just a second ago you were arguing that the massive government debt was going to sink the country......
          They will, especially entitlement spending. And the eradication of both smallpox and polio weren't massive investments. In 1967 the World Health Organization (not the United States government........the Smallpox Eradication Unit was formed under the leadership of American Donald Henderson) boosted the program with $2.4 million annual contributions. The effort was completed within 15 years.

Entitlement spending never ends.

........The benevolent Mr. Reagan piled on 2 trillion to our national debt you so elequently said was going to implode our country.......
          That $2 trillion was a bargain considering what we got compared to the $10 trillion we've added to the national debt over the past 8 years. What has that bought us? Any technological spinoffs? New weapon technologies like defensive missile batteries? An end to any wars?

.......But, the debts have to be paid, that is our burden........
          I'm happy you feel that way. I don't believe the rest of society agrees.

Comment

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-G...Big-Banks.html
            "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X