Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama prohibits oil drilling in most US Arctic waters

Obama prohibits offshore oil drilling

https://www.adn.com/politics/2016/12/20/obama-prohibits-offshore-drilling-in-most-of-us-arctic-waters/

EXCERPT:

WASHINGTON President Barack Obama issued an order Tuesday indefinitely closing off the vast majority of U.S. Arctic offshore waters to oil and gas leasing.

The Obama administration's announcement came in conjunction with an announcement by the Canadian government that it would bar oil and gas licensing for all offshore Arctic waters there, though the Canadian decision will be reviewed every five years.

There will be no such built-in review of the Obama administration decision, however. Using the authority granted to the president by the 1953 Outer Continental Shelf Land Act, Obama will "withdraw" from potential oil and gas leasing 125 million acres of the Arctic Ocean. That includes all of the Chukchi Sea and the majority of the Beaufort Sea.
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

One executive order can easily be undone by another executive order

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 0321Tony View Post
      One executive order can easily be undone by another executive order
      Except this wasn't an EO. It was a withdrawl under authority of 43 U.S.C. 1341(a) (the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act), and that law doesn't provide a mechanism for a subsequent president to reverse a withdrawl. "Reversal", if even possible would likely require additional Congressional legislation to change the law and/or a lengthy legal test.
      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

President Trump will get Congress to reverse this non-sense. Trump needs a 55 gallon barrel of whiteout to eliminate this fool's 'legacy.'

Comment

Unfortunately, taiga is correct. Only Congress can pass a new law repealing this Act, Trump will have no authority to change what Barack has done with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by AkReaper View Post
            Unfortunately, taiga is correct. Only Congress can pass a new law repealing this Act, Trump will have no authority to change what Barack has done with this one.
            I would imagine that won't be a problem

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Comment

Popcorn....
              "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

It may be popcorn time for you Ron. But it means popcorn for dinner for many of us that are now unemployed do to this Jackass's actions. Can't wait til he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by theultrarider View Post
                  It may be popcorn time for you Ron. But it means popcorn for dinner for many of us that are now unemployed do to this Jackass's actions. Can't wait til he's gone.
                  No, I get that, the popcorn was for how long this thread goes nuts.
                  "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

Originally posted by theultrarider View Post
                    Fear not, the incoming fascist oligarchy has your best interests at heart!
                    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

It is way, way, way to late to save America. It is also way, way, way to late to save Alaska. A few will save themselves and their loved ones.
                      "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Now, that is funny!

Hehe, looking forward to the next 4 years of playing "hide the football" with the new administration.

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                        Fear not, the incoming fascist oligarchy has your best interests at heart!

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                          It is way, way, way to late to save America. It is also way, way, way to late to save Alaska. A few will save themselves and their loved ones.
                          I watched a film by a former labor secretary called inequality for all. 40 years of down the river. There is no way to stop it.....I just want to see how long it takes for people to see it. My guess people will skip buyers remorse and go straight to blame the guy before them.

"The interest is up and the stock markets down and you only get mugged if you go downtown".....

Yes, a song, but also major topics here....funny thing about history....when you don't understand it, your doomed to repeat it.

Edwin Hubble

Comment

Read this:http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...road/95884438/

Think about sending more money outside the US. I have many friends doing this and many more wanting to. The issue is very clear. The US standard of living will have to drop to match the rest of the world, since theirs are not moving up to meet ours. Painful is not a harsh enough word. So, if we want to compete, wages and prices need to go back to 1962. Think about the amount of money we would lose to get there.

Edwin Hubble

Comment

If you are that pessimistic Ron, why would you even want to move back to AK?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X