Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More bad news for Alaska's future..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Derby06 View Post
    Folks that live out of state and work in the state would pay minimal or no sales tax. Many slope workers fly in and out not having to spend any $$ in AK.
    Seasonal workers will have to pay some, but still only for the time they are here, not year around.
    You are correct those that live here and work will be taxed twice. Income and sales tax.
    But if we only do a sales tax, those that live here put their earned $$ back into the state. Folks that work here and live else where would pay virtually nothing.
    There are ways around that, simply if you live out of state and you work instate, you pay a tax for the "privilege" of working in the state. It wont be a traditional income tax but it would have the same outcome. The state would put that responsibility on the employer and all employees would have to be known to the state.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
      Fort Wainwright brought mine.

      a strong desire to live in a very low population state/ area was my reason for moving.
      Josh
      Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by akriverunner View Post
        What would Alaska be like if there was no pipeline?


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        No PFD.
        No oil revenues and no oil jobs (the states highest paying employment sector).
        State income and sales taxes.
        While many would leave we would still have plenty on welfare,wic,and other forms of public assistance.
        So the state would still be in debt but have used up the constitutional budget reserve.
        Tourism would finally be taxed with a bed tax,rental car tax etc.
        Crashes in the real estate markets for several years.
        I fail to see too many positives.
        Though there are a few.
        "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

        "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by akula682 View Post
          There are ways around that, simply if you live out of state and you work instate, you pay a tax for the "privilege" of working in the state. It wont be a traditional income tax but it would have the same outcome. The state would put that responsibility on the employer and all employees would have to be known to the state.
          Could be a tough legal battle.
          Taxing them and not us is likely some form of discrimination.
          "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

          "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
            Could be a tough legal battle.
            Taxing them and not us is likely some form of discrimination.

            happens all the time.

            https://www.rapidtax.com/blog/state-.../#.WEIX3X3Vsa4
            Josh
            Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
              No PFD.
              No oil revenues and no oil jobs (the states highest paying employment sector).
              State income and sales taxes.
              While many would leave we would still have plenty on welfare,wic,and other forms of public assistance.
              So the state would still be in debt but have used up the constitutional budget reserve.
              Tourism would finally be taxed with a bed tax,rental car tax etc.
              Crashes in the real estate markets for several years.
              I fail to see too many positives.
              Though there are a few.
              Welfare, WIC and any other public assistance need very short term limits, something that resembles unemployment insurance benefits. If you have to rely upon the PFD to live here you need to find a job/career also. Too many want everything handed to them now days.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • #37
                Recession grips state as employment losses in Alaska grow, hitting new sectors

                https://www.adn.com/business-economy...g-new-sectors/
                "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

                Comment


                • #38
                  What I find interesting is........if a company is in deep financial trouble........one of the emergency actions is to lay people off. We see companies lay off 30,000 employees or more so they can survive. The Oil Industry is doing it........Why is laying off 10,000 Alaska State employees not on the table as an option........???
                  "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    What if we gave all the people on welfare and any assistance........all State of Alaska Jobs. They would then be protected by the Employees Union, and they would never be poor ever again, they would even have great health coverage, and good pensions. Solves the problems.

                    Originally posted by akriverunner View Post
                    Welfare, WIC and any other public assistance need very short term limits, something that resembles unemployment insurance benefits. If you have to rely upon the PFD to live here you need to find a job/career also. Too many want everything handed to them now days.


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Some of you may not know about the "Hazlewood "FULL" Employment Act of 1989".
                      "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Oil is now over $50 a barrel, soon heading to $70.....more then likely never to be this low again. Times will be better again.....
                        "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

                        Edwin Hubble

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          More bad news for Alaska's future..

                          Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                          What if we gave all the people on welfare and any assistance........all State of Alaska Jobs. They would then be protected by the Employees Union, and they would never be poor ever again, they would even have great health coverage, and good pensions. Solves the problems.
                          I don't think there could ever be enough state positions for those on assistance, this would be a giant leap in wrong direction.


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                            What if we gave all the people on welfare and any assistance........all State of Alaska Jobs. They would then be protected by the Employees Union, and they would never be poor ever again, they would even have great health coverage, and good pensions. Solves the problems.
                            nothing like giving a bunch of people who are not willing to work and just want to collect welfare the responsibility of an entire state's well being... i cant see anything wrong with that :rolleyes:
                            Josh
                            Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                              Some of you may not know about the "Hazlewood "FULL" Employment Act of 1989".
                              could you be a bit more specific on that, are you referring to just the "THE Employment Act 1989" ?
                              Josh
                              Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by akula682 View Post
                                could you be a bit more specific on that, are you referring to just the "THE Employment Act 1989" ?
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Hazelwood
                                "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

                                Comment

                                Footer Adsense

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X