Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to ensure that if the state income tax does come along the population of non-resident, non-citizen slope folks were also captured in the tax umbrella. I've always been dissatisfied with the huge amount of slope money that leaves the state for our rotational population north of the brooks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Meridian View Post
      I would like to ensure that if the state income tax does come along the population of non-resident, non-citizen slope folks were also captured in the tax umbrella. I've always been dissatisfied with the huge amount of slope money that leaves the state for our rotational population north of the brooks.

Pure blasphemy man!
      Asking non residents to step up and pay a part of this states bills? Are you crazy?
      Every time I mention it here I get bashed!!
      Do you not realize non residents pay more to ADF&G then we do?
      They don't support much else of the states bills from what I see but that doesn't matter here.
      Non residents spend money when they're here and we need to bow down to them for doing so! lol[emoji23]

On a more serious note I agree they need to be taxed.
      Especially if we're going to be taxed.
      "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by Meridian View Post

Maybe not as big of a population but don't forget about all the nonresident commercial fisherman and guides (both fishing and hunting).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't forget..

Let's not forget the fish processors! Overall the commercial fishing and processing industry is by far the largest employer of non-Alaskans and aliens. I'd put a minimum head tax on all non-resident Alaskans, an even higher one on aliens, and then a percentage of income. But we have to be careful not to kill the goose. Wages on the slope for critical skills just aren't that great any more compared to non-slope jobs.

If our senators and congressman weren't in bed with commercial fishing they would demand that the state gets a tax off fish caught in federal water like the royalties taxes on off-shore oil production in federal waters. Unless the fish are landed, we don't get anything. Billions of dollars of fish leave the state for Seattle without us seeing any benefits.

But no matter what new taxes we impose, the state is still in very serious financial trouble. The rural residents are going to get really nailed bad since they have no way to raise revenue to off set the loss of state funds. Towns get property taxes and can add a sales tax to fund their expenses for schools etc. And as the urban taxes get raised and the urban residents squeezed, the attention is going to be on those that pay little or no taxes for what they get i.e. the rural folks.

Originally posted by AK Troutbum View Post
          Maybe not as big of a population but don't forget about all the nonresident commercial fisherman and guides (both fishing and hunting).

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
          ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Comment

Rather have a state sales tax so ALL players pay, not just the working stiffs who float the bills for everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by tccak71 View Post
              Rather have a state sales tax so ALL players pay, not just the working stiffs who float the bills for everyone else.
              Here, here!

Comment

Originally posted by tccak71 View Post
                LOL that would be nice, but can you imagine all the butthurt that would cause?
                Josh
                Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Comment

Butthurt or not, my take is...

1. Good on em for splitting the dividend. This ensured the folks that do nothing but soak up our system paid some. maybe still not their fair share, but some anyway.
                  2. Yes to Income tax. This gets all those that work and make a living for AK wages pay their share. If they want to live elsewhere, so be it. But at least some of the AK paid wages stay in the state, not all being spent elsewhere for now.
                  3. Yes to sales tax. This gets the money from all the tourists.

Doing all 3 means none have to be "Massive" and EVERYONE is effected.

Comment

More bad news for Alaska's future..

Nothing will change until we get rid of the bottom feeders that have been around wayyyyy too long. Sales and income tax will help for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Derby06 View Post
                      Butthurt or not, my take is...

1. Good on em for splitting the dividend. This ensured the folks that do nothing but soak up our system paid some. maybe still not their fair share, but some anyway.
                      2. Yes to Income tax. This gets all those that work and make a living for AK wages pay their share. If they want to live elsewhere, so be it. But at least some of the AK paid wages stay in the state, not all being spent elsewhere for now.
                      3. Yes to sales tax. This gets the money from all the tourists.

Doing all 3 means none have to be "Massive" and EVERYONE is effected.
                      you had me until the income tax, then you really lost me at "pay their fair share". the only way for it to be "fair" is if everyone pays, that leaves it at a state sales tax. Unless you suggest those who pay income taxes don't pay sales tax... otherwise they are being taxed twice while those who don't work only get taxed once.

The country is in a mess because almost 50% of the country doesn't pay taxes, and yet they get to have a say in how tax money is spent. If those who do not work (if they are retired from a life time of working they are exempt) and receive any kind of welfare they can have a choice, either pay taxes on it as Income, or they willingly give up the right to vote. This is not one of those "ill pay taxes this week so i can vote in the election then not pay taxes anymore until the next election" deals. you pick one and you stick with it.
                      Josh
                      Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                        We need a MASSIVE State income tax, did I mention MASSIVE or HUGE........ Maybe 30% or 40%........Then just shut the pipeline down. Fire about 60% of State of Alaska employees, and 45% of municipal employees, and ALL as in 100% of Assistant School Principals, You either teach or that a hike. Each school does not need 20 assistant principals.

Alaska was a better place to live before they built the pipeline.
                        What would Alaska be like if there was no pipeline?

Comment

Originally posted by akriverunner View Post
                          What would Alaska be like if there was no pipeline?

Just like it was in 1969...........All the pipeline did is bring just under 400,000 humans to Alaska,
                          "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Just like it was in 1969...........All the pipeline did is bring just under 400,000 humans to Alaska,
                            I hear ya there!

Comment

Originally posted by akula682 View Post
                              you had me until the income tax, then you really lost me at "pay their fair share". the only way for it to be "fair" is if everyone pays, that leaves it at a state sales tax. Unless you suggest those who pay income taxes don't pay sales tax... otherwise they are being taxed twice while those who don't work only get taxed once.
                              Folks that live out of state and work in the state would pay minimal or no sales tax. Many slope workers fly in and out not having to spend any $$ in AK.
                              Seasonal workers will have to pay some, but still only for the time they are here, not year around.
                              You are correct those that live here and work will be taxed twice. Income and sales tax.
                              But if we only do a sales tax, those that live here put their earned $$ back into the state. Folks that work here and live else where would pay virtually nothing.

Comment

Fort Wainwright brought mine.
                                "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X