No announcement yet.

King Cove/Cold Bay Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To put this into perspective JR2, compare this miserly cost of this gravel road, to the federal subsidies paid to the state of Alaska to support your industry. I'm uncertain what you're actual industry is, as you claim yourself to be "oil field worker" on your profile page. Federal subsidies to support your industry, ranges in the billions of dollars.
    www.freightercanoes.com

Comment

You all should just have some patience . The entire state will be covered in roads and cities too make sure everyone can be rescued instantly in an emergency soon enough.

How about we understand there is an inherent risk when living remote. There are just as many rewards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
        You all should just have some patience . The entire state will be covered in roads and cities too make sure everyone can be rescued instantly in an emergency soon enough.

How about we understand there is an inherent risk when living remote. There are just as many rewards.
        You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hoyt-Hunter again.
        ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
        The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
          this is common knowledge to Alaskans. Thank you for your common sense, in the face of fairly ignorant outsiders who've no clue about the truth within this road issue. They only spout what they read on their respective organization's propaganda blotter list, crafted with a poor little cub, or baby bird to instigate some sort of irrational emotion.
          Chill out. People ask questions in order to gain information. You can feel free to judge me by my questions, but I think maybe that says more about you. Alienation is no way to carry on a conversation. I've only heard the "emotional" arguments from the build-the-road side.

Comment

Residents of King Cove have long sought a land connection through Izembek National Wildlife Refuge to Cold Bay, which has an all-weather airport. They call it a safety issue.
            https://www.adn.com/politics/2021/07...t-filing-says/
            It has been interesting to watch the argument evolve over the years as peoples memories fade and evolve with time. At this point most people seem to have bought into the emotional life and safety argument, and few seem to remember the fact that this road proposal was originally all about using federal tax dollars to build a road for the benefit of a private business (Peter Pan Inc). No more, no less.

Here are a few historical facts to jog memories. (I wonder if Interior Secretary Haaland is aware of them?):
            • When this thing was first proposed, the City of King Cove passed a resolution in support on 18 May 1994 (Resolution 94-26), which stated the road would link America's largest salmon cannery in King Cove with the Cold Bay airport. There was no mention of life and safety concerns at all.
            • On 7 June 1995 the Sitka Sentinel quoted from the 1995 Alaska State Transportation Plan, wherein Gov. Tony Knowles stated he favored a road between King Salmon and Cold Bay for the purpose of transporting salmon to the Cold Bay runway. No mention of life and safety concerns.
            • On 29 April 2010 the USFWS held an Izembek EIS Public Scoping Meeting in King Cove. At that meeting an Aleutians East Borough assemblyman testified that the road would be used by Peter Pan Seafoods to "transport fresh product". Again, no concern mentioned regarding life and safety issues.
            But ultimately nobody was buying the pitch that the U.S. taxpayers should cough up several tens of millions of dollars to punch a road through critical habitat of a national wildlife refuge for the benefit of Peter Pan Inc. So the "must have a road for life and safety" argument was born.

Fast forward almost thirty years: Peter Pan is still in King Cove, and still lobbying for a road to the Cold Bay runway....behind the same cloud of life and safety smoke.
            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X