X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feds vs. State

http://www.adn.com/2011/03/08/174381...k-alaskas.html

Interesting read..........

What else is new. Federal Govt. at its finest...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Comment

I'm new to this state and am not up on why the Federal Government has such a large foot hold in this state vs. the rest of the country. After moving here, I am increasingly apalled at how much land they have tied up in NP's. I can understand preserving places and that's cool but why not just settle for a wilderness area? The lower 48's protected areas are mostly in the form of wilderness areas that still allow hunting and what not. Sure there are some NP's but nothing like up here.

Why doesn't Alaska tell them to take a hike and do what they want with "THEIR" state. It seems kind of backwards to have a self governing state (for the most part), yet not have control or say over huge portions of your own land.

Why did Alaska agree to give up so much of it's land to the Feds?

Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Comment

The rural subsistance users made a deal with the devil a few years back and the devil is coming to collect. Did they really think the Feds would be better stewards of the subsistance live style. Hungry on unimak island eat a wolf.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
        Unknown author

Comment

And some interesting bedfellows..........
          http://action.defenders.org/site/Pag...5ofdt1.app226a
          http://savethewolf.net/stop-the-unimak-wolf-cull/
          http://www.friendsofanimals.org/news...nd-alaska.html

Sounds like to me, there needs to be a study on Bear, wolf and caribou population study, not just one or 2 species. Combine that with food sources availability, hunter harvest numbers, native subsistence harvest, and population density variances, should all be considered.
          Am I missing something, or is this just political?

Comment

Seems simple to me, kill the wolves and see how it goes. Not like they are killing all of the wolves and I don't see a reason to waste a bunch of money for a big study over 7 wolves. If it works and the bou come back then the wolves will too, if it doesn't then the wolves would have died anyway. I fail to see a downside to killing the 7 wolves...

Comment

I believe if I were one of the 41 jolly residents of the island, I'd be developing an irrational fear that about seven wolves were threatening me and my neighbors.... and I'd probably start taking a few afternoon walks with my gun to relieve the stress.
              Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Comment

Just in case anyone wants to actually read the decision document.
                ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Interesting to hear the Federal and state perspectives on this issue as reported on Ch. 2 News. Basically nothing new here. The feds say they are managing for the whole nation; state says it has to manage as needed by the population of Alaska. Personally I believe that the feds are managing in response to environmentalist concern.
                  Big question: what happens to the wolves when they have eaten themselves out of house and home? Is that sound management?

Comment

Originally posted by jkb View Post
                    Hungry on unimak island eat a wolf.
                    I haven't heard of anybody starving to death on Unimak Is. and I doubt I will in the future.

They have plenty of other sources of protein out there.
                    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
                    - Jef Mallett

Comment

That Darn Management Idea

It looks like it's still wide open for us, Ten Wolves, until May 25th
                      So what's the problem, beside the political struggle going on ??
                      That is unless there's something to that Predator Control Supplement that I can't seem to pull up ??

Yeah, I know, it is Irritating as all get out, to see Wildlife managed out on the Aleutian Chain for Wolf Viewing,

or is it, Wolf Imagining, y'kno,

"Just knowing they're out there, howling away, doing their social thing, puppies tumbling together by the den, all fuzzy and cute...
                      It just makes my life here on Sunshine Blvd just better all around, more fulfilling...."

Long as nobody mentions that they'll soon be howling for the fact that their puppies are starving to death... SHHHhhssshhhhh, too graphic for the children.....

That Responsibility of Actually Managing Wildlife is such a Pesky Idea,....geez
                      At least, out on Unimak Island, nobody is ever going to go out there to see what happens.
                      Well except for the people living out there, and whew, there's not many of them, and nobody's listening to what they have to say,......

What else could be the reason for the decision, Wolf Puppy Sustainability ??
                      Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Comment

Originally posted by sayak View Post
                        Interesting to hear the Federal and state perspectives on this issue as reported on Ch. 2 News. Basically nothing new here. The feds say they are managing for the whole nation; state says it has to manage as needed by the population of Alaska. Personally I believe that the feds are managing in response to environmentalist concern.
                        Big question: what happens to the wolves when they have eaten themselves out of house and home? Is that sound management?

Apparently so. Wolves are being allowed to run all over hell and kill game and livestock in the lower 48 without many repercussions. Sad to see.
                        "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Comment

Caribou fall low on the scale of how people value animals. Wolves, killer whales and bears are way at the top. They are considered noble even though each routinely eats its prey alive. We have books such as Julie of the Wolves and Never Cry Wolf, and Gentle Ben to thank for the anthropomorphisizing of these animals, however contrived and unrealistic that might be. Ravens are smarter than wolves from what I have seen.
                          So if an animal looks noble, it get priority. Doesn't matter if their prey gets hamstrung, by one animal while another tears out the tongue.
                          But then, human fetuses get low billing too, so not too surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by twodux View Post
                            I haven't heard of anybody starving to death on Unimak Is. and I doubt I will in the future.

They have plenty of other sources of protein out there.
                            exactly 50 million Koreans can't be wrong. If your hungry on Unimak island eat a wolf.
                            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
                            Unknown author

Comment

Sayak was right about the books. There are also movies that sensationalize the issue. There is a new movie that pretty well depicts the way some here think of wolves. http://redridinghood.warnerbros.com/

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X