• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig Medred- ADN March 31, 2009

Medred plan for predators doesn't cost Palin a dime

A good read at:
    http://www.adn.com/outdoors/craig_me...ry/742165.html
    No habitat, no hunter.

Thanks for posting this, Leech. Medred echoed my sentiments pretty closely with this exerpt:

Whatever happened to the good, old days when individual Alaskans took care of predator problems on their own?
    Now we need the government to do it for us? We need state bureaucrats in helicopters to take out some wolves?

The prospectors and trappers of old would be embarrassed. I'm embarrassed.
    Good on him for writing this. I agree fully.

On a side note, he also gets into the "earn a bull" idea that LuJon has been pushing here for a while. I know there are inherent problems with this idea in some areas, but I would support this over helicopters and such.

Comment

My favorite quote of the article:

"If hunters and trappers in the Interior are unable or unwilling to defend their food from the competition, they don't deserve to eat."

If there was a way that many of our "trappers" in south central and the interior around Fairbanks could get out there (I can think of quite a few right at this moment ) I am sure they would be happy to take care of it.
      No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Comment

Simple fact

is that it is almost impossible for individuals to do enough predator control in certain areas that will really amount to anything. I trap an area and try to catch as many wolves as I can, but in reality, I can keep the #'s down, but I am never going to get the numbers low enough to see a big change in moose #'s. There are certain places that the state is simply going to have to get involved and do aerial wolf reduction with helicopters.

The state can only help itself also if it wants people to harvest predators by allowing the sale of bears and specifically tanned ones. Most people complain that they have enough bears as rugs and just don't want to shoot anymore as they have nothing to do with them.

Comment

About time we got a good read out of Craig.

Comment

Time to put your hunting money where your mouth is, Brian. Why don't you voluntarily refuse to take a moose or bou this fall if you don't get a bear this spring? Start the ball rolling.
            I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
            I have less friends now!!

Comment

Originally posted by martentrapper View Post
              Time to put your hunting money where your mouth is, Brian. Why don't you voluntarily refuse to take a moose or bou this fall if you don't get a bear this spring? Start the ball rolling.
              Or, instead of singling out one person (which happens to be Brian, who seems to be a favorite target of yours from what I noticed on my time on this forum?) on this forum, how about getting everyone on AOD involved in some way instead of giving someone a shot in the back?

You going to shoot a spring grizz this year, or just a bunch of pregnant caribou?

Comment

If Craig is truly serious where was he when it was time to submit proposals to the BOG. And where was he when it was time to present testimony to the BOG. If Craig wants to grandstand he should do it where it does some good, at the BOG meetings.

As far as his idea: predator for food I'm for it.
                Chuck

Comment

It is easy

to say that we should all do this, but how much of it is reality? How many of us/you have shot a wolf? I am a fortunate to get out and trap, but if I HAD to shoot a wolf, I could probably guarantee that I would fail. Now, we shoot "many" bears each spring, so surely take more than our share of those to help the moose calves.

Comment

Originally posted by martentrapper View Post
                    Done. I'm in.

Comment

Incidentally, the part of his article that I really like is the notion that we can take care of most predator control as hunters without the state doing it for us. I'm not sold on the "earn a bull" program, but it's worth considering in some cases/areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                        Incidentally, the part of his article that I really like is the notion that we can take care of mmost predator control as hunters without the state doing it for us. I'm not sold on the "earn a bull" program, but it's worth considering in some cases/areas.

I'll add one thing here. I believe it was customary and traditional for men with planes to aerial hunt wolves from the 30's on and it is my view that certain individuals that live a certain type of lifestyle and want to hunt wolves from airplanes to should be allowed to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                          Or, instead of singling out one person (which happens to be Brian, who seems to be a favorite target of yours from what I noticed on my time on this forum?)
                          Ah, it's just MT's way of saying he loves me and appreciates my contributions here.

Comment

I'm also for us, hunters & trappers, reducing predator numbers on our own. BUT, having said that I've yet to be lucky enough to see wolves in the wild. I'll shoot a blackie or three, I've seen any number of them-even in Anchorage.

I DO think that Medred's part about solving our predator problems ourselves is a little two-faced. What would he write if Anchoragites solved the brown bear problem in town ourselves?
                            I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Comment

And I picked this week to agree with everyone

A wise man said in a pissing contest everyone gets wet. If it wasn't for some of his past BS articles I might like him more. But, at least the liberals like him.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X