Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposal 243-Disabled Vets Tags

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Proposal 243-Disabled Vets Tags

    Can someone provide some insight into this one? I mean, what hunts were they specifically talking about giving 25% of the available tags--or were they talking 25% across the board? Don't get me wrong with this one--I am fully supportive of our troops and the tough job they do, but I also know that the interpretation of disabled can vary widely (lots of "disabled" military would not be recognized as disabled in the traditional sense of the word). There are plenty of servicemen with some level of disability from their service which would not necessarily entitle them to an "easy hunt". For example, diminished hearing is a pretty common disability that I wouldn't consider as disabled. I can see this one difficult to interpret both what constitutes disabled and what their limitations would entitle them to. Any feedback is appreciated.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Ken R View Post
    Can someone provide some insight into this one? I mean, what hunts were they specifically talking about giving 25% of the available tags--or were they talking 25% across the board? Don't get me wrong with this one--I am fully supportive of our troops and the tough job they do, but I also know that the interpretation of disabled can vary widely (lots of "disabled" military would not be recognized as disabled in the traditional sense of the word). There are plenty of servicemen with some level of disability from their service which would not necessarily entitle them to an "easy hunt". For example, diminished hearing is a pretty common disability that I wouldn't consider as disabled. I can see this one difficult to interpret both what constitutes disabled and what their limitations would entitle them to. Any feedback is appreciated.
    As I understood and heard. No one wanted to micro-manage the program, so it has to be based solely on the govt's definition. That way they did not have to segregate individual disabilities. I also understand that it was expanded/amended to include all, including those that reside anywhere in the world.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

    Comment


    • #3
      A person might find it difficult to hunt if they cannot hear. In some cases it might be dangerous. Lets let the Dr's determine what constitutes a disability. There are many veterans that are disabled that you really cannot tell in a normal conversation. BTW - Hearing is not valid disability unless you have extenuating circumstances. Having hearing aids will not get you a disability above 0 percent, service connected. Google up CFR 38. There are many misunderstandings and rumors of the reasons for disability.

      Mike
      I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
      Bill Hicks

      Comment


      • #4
        I have high frequency hearing loss (cant hear a beeping timer going off right next to me) and have had complete brachial plexus nerve reconstruction. Which means that I may look perfectly normal , But am in intense pain if my body temperature goes above 99. (feels like I'm getting hit with a sledge hammer in my arm) ... kinda makes hunting difficult,,, I'll have to check this bill out...
        sigpic
        If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ret25yo View Post
          I have high frequency hearing loss (cant hear a beeping timer going off right next to me) and have had complete brachial plexus nerve reconstruction. Which means that I may look perfectly normal , But am in intense pain if my body temperature goes above 99. (feels like I'm getting hit with a sledge hammer in my arm) ... kinda makes hunting difficult,,, I'll have to check this bill out...
          "Jet Noise, the sound of Tinnitus"

          (documented tinnutis is a 10% minimum)
          I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
          Bill Hicks

          Comment


          • #6
            God knows I love vets, I have spent a great deal of my adult life working to make sure that our soldiers get the highest quality care. That said I personally prefer to see the civilian non profits handle disabled hunting issues. There are many of them available, I simply don't like to see govt entitlements to small groups of people. What is next? 2% for fire fighters with career injuries, 30% for people on unemployment? The world is full of people who have major obstacles to overcome. I hate these blanket feel good measures where people "make it so" with an aye vote and then go home feeling a sense of accomplishment. I have a great deal of respect for those folks that get out there and take vets hunting, putting in real effort to help them have a truly great time in the field. Sorry for the rant, I am just tired of the ridiculous amount of special use segregation pumped into our hunting regs year after year.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LuJon View Post
              That said I personally prefer to see the civilian non profits handle disabled hunting issues. .
              such as? and how would these vets find out about these "non-profits"
              as it is I get alot of "smiles and nods" and I have yet to recieve any offer that was followed through from any non-profit ...

              as for the WWP ... I have yet to receive anything from them either.. except a letter (e-mail) telling me to look at their website.. why so I can see all the other vets having fun hunting fishing and dealing with their "issues" (PTSD, TBI )together ..

              the best offers I have recieved have been through people who are not involved in corporations,govrnment,and politics.

              sorry I'm a little pissed after recieving this letter. just yesterday.
              sigpic
              If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

              Comment


              • #8
                To further define the original question of what is a disabled vet for the purposes of this prop, i believe they went with the States definition of a 50% or greater VA rating as well as some of the territorial guard stuff (don't know exact terms for this). I believe they referenced a State loan or disabled vet program when defining it. I would have liked to see it stay in state for the first go round, I thought it was rather premature of them to assume there wasn't enough disabled vets in the state to take advantage of the 25% allocation for the referenced hunts, kind of hard to believe when there are so many retirees running around....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ret25yo View Post
                  such as? and how would these vets find out about these "non-profits"
                  as it is I get alot of "smiles and nods" and I have yet to recieve any offer that was followed through from any non-profit ...

                  as for the WWP ... I have yet to receive anything from them either.. except a letter (e-mail) telling me to look at their website.. why so I can see all the other vets having fun hunting fishing and dealing with their "issues" (PTSD, TBI )together ..

                  the best offers I have recieved have been through people who are not involved in corporations,govrnment,and politics.

                  sorry I'm a little pissed after recieving this letter. just yesterday.
                  Really?

                  From 11-19-2008 :
                  Originally posted by ret25yo View Post
                  I just received a 27ton log splitter from the wounded warrior program...how do these perform in the cold.... any advise ... it's a troy built w/Honda engine from Lowes..

                  I'm not complaining just trying to see what I need to do to be able to operate it one handed in the cold..as I have about 10 cords left to "process"
                  As I said I support vets I served at a trauma hospital down range on active duty and am still working to make them better and more efficient to get more of our troops home alive. I am just against chopping up the resource and assigning special interests a dedicated slice of the pie.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LuJon View Post
                    Really?

                    From 11-19-2008 :


                    As I said I support vets I served at a trauma hospital down range on active duty and am still working to make them better and more efficient to get more of our troops home alive. I am just against chopping up the resource and assigning special interests a dedicated slice of the pie.

                    Of course you are,


                    you don't qualify for speacial interests.
                    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

                    meet on face book here

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LuJon View Post
                      Really?

                      From 11-19-2008 :


                      As I said I support vets I served at a trauma hospital down range on active duty and am still working to make them better and more efficient to get more of our troops home alive. I am just against chopping up the resource and assigning special interests a dedicated slice of the pie.



                      Ahhh see ... dangit.... there goes my credibility and evidence of TBI.. dang thats depressing... but thanks for pointing that out ..
                      sigpic
                      If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Actually I helped with this proposal in a letter to the BoG.

                        There are over 74K veterans here in Alaska and 10% are 50% disabled or over. So around 7400 or so. This is per VA Alaska.

                        They wanted to add all disabled working military (TBI, PTSD, and those whom are missing limbs, etc) in the the senerio as well... which at most is 200 at the highest up here. One issue is that most of these 200 are in other States due to what "problems" they have and are getting help for.

                        I asked them not to "toss" this out as many disbaled Vets who want to be able to hunt but can not go as far out as good physically able hunters. They are only going to be hunting on Ft Richardson and Ft Wainwright only. So when I heard the 25%, rather then the BoG totally getting rid of it. They included the 50% VA Disabled Alaskan Vets and those who are Military Disabled who are actually here in Alaska and Stationed here. It will be a draw, but these are only for Alaskans. Those who are not stationed here in the active military can not apply.

                        I don't see how this would cause any problems as it will give those hunters more avalibility to hunt in prime area, as well as let the Vets be able to get their meat.
                        No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by LuJon View Post
                          As I said I support vets I served at a trauma hospital down range on active duty and am still working to make them better and more efficient to get more of our troops home alive. I am just against chopping up the resource and assigning special interests a dedicated slice of the pie.
                          If this is a problem for you I would highly suggest you take it up with the BoG. I am sorry you don't qualify under the 50% or over category. Maybe I should tell my friend Nick, who lost both legs and has had numerous other problems and operations after being blown up by an IED, that yu don't think he qualifies.

                          Thanks Lu... talk about keeping the faith for those who serve.
                          No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ret25yo View Post
                            Ahhh see ... dangit.... there goes my credibility and evidence of TBI.. dang thats depressing... but thanks for pointing that out ..
                            Screw it ret, it don't mean a thing.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by LuJon View Post
                              I am just against chopping up the resource and assigning special interests a dedicated slice of the pie.
                              Yeah, I've got something special, the 25% chance at a bow hunt, when I can't physically use a bow.

                              And a 25% chance at a black powder rifle hunt, which most days due to pain and mobility issues, I doubt I could load a black powder rifle in the first place.

                              I sincerely hope this thread doesn't go the way a thread in the hunting forum went last fall / winter that some members of AOD basically stated if the disabled or a disabled vet couldn't participate in outdoor activities like "normal" people, then we had no business outdoors and should stay home.

                              Lujon, you served just like I did and many others here on AOD did, we were born with our rights and freedoms like every other American, but we went on to earn them through our service to the Nation, and we insured that they will continue to exist for future generations of Americans, including those who don't serve.

                              Whether that makes us a "special interest" or not, I don't know. But I do know that we are deserving of enjoying life and freedom to the extent our disabilities allow, and part of that should be the access to the outdoors for those of us that were disabled in the line of duty to our Nation.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X