Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helicopter, foot-snares and bears, oh my!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicopter, foot-snares and bears, oh my!

Well, the BOG passed Proposal 171 today, which authorizes the use of foot-snares in GMU 16 as part of a predation control effort. They also amended the language in order to consolidate several proposals, and to include the authorization to use helicopters to access bear baiting and foot-snaring camps. Here are the provisions contained in the amended proposal:

1. Participating permittees must be residents 16 years of age or older.
    2. Season length would be from April 15 - August 15.
    3. Helicopters may be used for access only to bear baiting camps and foot-snaring camps during April 15 to August 15 provided the helicopter pilot obtains a permit and attends an orientation given by Department personnel in the Palmer office. Permits for use of helicopters will be discretionary. Helicopters may be used only for transport of people, gear, bear hides, bear skulls, and bear meat to and from bear baiting and bear foot-snaring camps. No more than 10 helicopter pilot permits will be issued.
    4. Up to 10 brown bears may be taken (in aggregate for all permittees) with foot-snares incidentally to the foot-snaring of black bears. Hides and skulls of brown bears will become property of the Department. Department staff will release incidentally caught brown bears if possible.
    5. Participants must complete a training program in the field, administered by Department staff or a Department approved contractor.
    6. Foot-snares may be placed on the ground or in buckets and must be checked every 24 hours.
    7. Participants must report all animals taken in foot snares to Department staff within 48 hours.

There was some discussion yesterday concerning people being allowed to bring along a child to participate or observe, and my understanding is that the decision was to allow children between the ages of 10-15 to accompany an adult.

It is my understanding that this amended proposal passed today. This means that we are going with foot-snaring black bears in GMU 16, and that helicopters will be used to access remote camps where snaring and / or baiting will take place from April 15 until August 15. If anyone has different info, please feel free to correct me. I was not here all day, and may have missed something.

-Mike
    Michael Strahan
    Site Owner
    Alaska Hunt Consultant
    1 (907) 229-4501

Just curious....

I see they are limiting helicopter access to 10 choppers. It will be interesting to see who gets the 10 permits, and who they are connected to politically.

This situation is going to be a mess.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Comment

'zactly how do you "release incidentally caught brown bears"??? :rolleyes:
      Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

JOAT,
        I would say very cautiously

Comment

Lots of darts or bullets?

Who gets in trouble if there is 11 brown bears snared the 1st day?

Comment

What an absolute shame.

Comment

man this sucks

I went on the road for 48 hours and this is what i come back too?

bears in snares, points, harvest preference alotments......????????

sounds like the money won again.
              "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

So who is the "money" behind this proposal? Wasn't some group running black bear "control" camps in unit 16 last year? Are they the ones behind this proposal?

Comment

Good and bad I guess , But come on there are a ton of Black bears in 16 ,They should up the limit to 6. The area I do tours ,In a 3 mile area 4 bait stands 10 bears came out of there during baiting ,So there is no shortage of bears.
                  PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                    Good and bad I guess , But come on there are a ton of Black bears in 16 ,They should up the limit to 6. The area I do tours ,In a 3 mile area 4 bait stands 10 bears came out of there during baiting ,So there is no shortage of bears.
                    There wasn't a limit under the control permits last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Oak View Post
                      So who is the "money" behind this proposal? Wasn't some group running black bear "control" camps in unit 16 last year? Are they the ones behind this proposal?
                      Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife - Alaska

Comment

Yea, it's just a crying shame folks should get an increased opportunity to harvest blacks. The guy who gave the snaring demo at the BoG meeting also gave a demo to the trappers assoc. He is a very experienced biologist/hunter/trapper.
                        Anytime something new is tried, it takes time to work out the bugs. There's no shortage of any type of bear in unit 16...........well maybe polar bears are extinct there, haha.
                        Let's see how it works and then throw some stones if it doesn't.
                        I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
                        I have less friends now!!

Comment

Originally posted by martentrapper View Post
                          Yea, it's just a crying shame folks should get an increased opportunity to harvest blacks.
                          How was there a restricted opportunity in any way for any hunter, marten? Those that put in the smallest amount of effort last year were rewarded with ample opportunities to harvest a black bear (or multiple bears, for that matter). The opportunity already existed.

Comment

Well, uh...

Originally posted by JOAT View Post
                            'zactly how do you "release incidentally caught brown bears"??? :rolleyes:
                            You tranquilize 'em first. That's one reason why the whole thing is being supervised by ADFG in the field; they will administer the drugs. At the same time there is a recognition that occasional conditions may exist where a brown bear may have to be euthanized, hence the 10 brown bear limit overall. One biologist stated that when a black bear encounters a moose with two calves, he will usually kill only one of the calves. A brownie is much more aggressive and will usually kill both calves. So the thinking is that even if some brown bears are killed through this effort, the overall goal of increasing moose survival will be supported.

-Mike
                            Michael Strahan
                            Site Owner
                            Alaska Hunt Consultant
                            1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Money?

Originally posted by Oak View Post
                              Not sure what you mean. Unless some money was spent on advertising, there should have been no real cost in getting the proposal before the BOG. If you're talking about who is going to pay for the effort itself, that was discussed at length. I missed this morning's session, but yesterday when Mr. Spraker asked that question, the folks from ADFG indicated that the cost would be borne by the trappers themselves, and possibly if a nonprofit group wanted to assist.

Is this what you're talking about?

Honestly I don't see any money behind this at all, it's just an effort to give the moose a better chance of survival in Unit 16.

-Mike
                              Michael Strahan
                              Site Owner
                              Alaska Hunt Consultant
                              1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X