Bonus Points are Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonus Points are Here

I wasn't in favor of this proposal, but by adopting an amended version of Prop 241 the BoG has brought the bonus point system to Alaska. According to the proposal as amended, it will only apply to sheep and bison draws.

bummer

Did they approve the move from 3 to 6 application choices.

Comment

Originally posted by whitepalm View Post
      Did they approve the move from 3 to 6 application choices.
      No, but it looks like they'll be bringing it up again down the road.

Comment

That is not good. The sheep draws are now probably once in a lifetime.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks

I've been paying attn to the meetings but had to slip down to the river yesterday and today for a break. Discussing 16 bear trapping now maybe addressing choppers tonight too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chisana View Post
            That is not good. The sheep draws are now probably once in a lifetime.
            That's fine with me. I have lots of sheep and need only one bison. Maybe my luck of the bison draw will improve.
            "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
            ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

how on earth with 6000 applicates is bonus points gonna help you draw a tag? you'll have the same amount of points as the other 5999 people....
              this is gonna get messy.
              Www.blackriverhunting.com
              Master guide 212

Comment

Well

I liked it better when I though I was luckier than other folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Akres View Post
                  That's fine with me. I have lots of sheep and need only one bison. Maybe my luck of the bison draw will improve.
                  I have at least one of both and would rather have way more sheep! Maybe one of the more remote bison hunts would be fun, but Delta is over rated IMHO.
                  sigpic

Comment

I guess it all depends on how they run it. I hope that the bonus points will be specific to the particular tag, or at the least the particular region (ie ds124/125/126 are one region). I don't like any of it but if I am stuck with it there is certainly a lesser of the possible evils. I don't want to see the points accrue for all sheep tags as a conglomerate <sp?>! If those of you that dream of hunting tok want to put in for it year after year to accrue the points to get a once in a lifetime hunt then that is great. Hopefully you will use all three of your tags putting in for the same 3 hunts and leave me the "leftovers" to build points toward.
                    I really don't want to see it go to where folks can spend 5 years losing at Tok and then take their pref points and win a chugach tag. I also think if you "get out of line" for a year you lose your spot! I can't even imagine how much it is going to cost us to implement this new system.... I am sure it will be more than the cost of a dozen aerial surveys!

Comment

The points system is crap...ask anyone that has them in place Outside. It is especially bad if they can build points and then apply for a separate unit. Not only that, but it hurts the chances for young hunters to get a chance to draw. Granted, there is still a chance for a "lucky" youngin to draw with the points system in place, its pretty hard to compete with someone whos been applying for years.

Comment

I am well established as being anti pref points. It is going to be very interesting to see what happens since the Chugach tags have non res tag limits now. That means that even if non res build pref points they will still be eliminated if the 10% non res max is met! I think that us residents just kissed the TOK/DCUA permits good by for life folks! Now take a moment to let that sink in... I hope that those of you who have been pushing for this realize what you just did...:mad:

Comment

When the non res is cut back to 10% there will be less harvest = more big sheep. The odds go up on the Alaskan hunter. I dont see the points hurting until after the first draw. You will just have to make your tag count.

Comment

Originally posted by pa18tony View Post
                            When the non res is cut back to 10% there will be less harvest = more big sheep. The odds go up on the Alaskan hunter. I dont see the points hurting until after the first draw. You will just have to make your tag count.
                            The pain won't be in the chugach range where the 10% is in effect, it will be the fact that AK residents just handed the DCUA/TOK tags over to the non-res/guide industry!! I hope that Brian (brain) or some other math wiz takes the time to break down the formula to explain just how screwed we are!

Comment

I don't know much about the Bonus point system but when recently thinking about going to MT to hunt Elk and or Deer I see everything is drawing for non-resident, besides a few doe and cow tags. I'm all for the same in Alaska, Bou and Moose go to drawing only for non resident, make them all apply with the hefty price of non-res tags then even if they don't hunt they pay the fee. Not trying to stir the pot but I see all other states get more restrictive with general tags, have not seen much effort here in Alaska. Bonus points in my opinion will make it better for the non resident, and perhaps give me a better chance at what I call once in a lifetime tags (certain Sheep areas and Bison). Well we should get on board and increase non resident revenue as most other states have.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X