ADFG A&Rs are out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADFG A&Rs are out

Are you ready for the helicopter transport of "hunters" who participate in any bear control programs? Are you ready for the snaring of black bears?

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...l-mgt-comm.pdf

Above link, scroll down to the Unit 16 Intensive Management plan.

Here is a link to the actual A&Rs (Analysis and Recommendations):
    http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...pring09-ar.pdf

Scroll down to proposal 170.

I was told that the Department would not support the snaring of black bears or helicopter transport of hunters who participate under a control permit unless many "details" were first worked out. There are no details within these plans. None. Nada. It is a flat-out lie that all this will be "closely monitored" by the Department. Alaska Wildlife Troopers opposed it all because they knew it couldn't be closely monitored. And sheesh, big game guides can get a control permit and then clients can fly out in helicopters??? What the hell is going on here...I am both saddened and ashamed that this is being pushed by so-called "hunters."
    Pshaw,
    Mark Richards
    www.residenthuntersofalaska.org

The BOG will likely eat this stuff up. I feel it will only get worse Mark and really have a hard time believing that AWT and ADF&G will do much enforcement of this program if it is adopted. I just don't see where the funding will come from.
    sigpic

Comment

I know where the funding will come from

Originally posted by Chisana
      I feel it will only get worse Mark and really have a hard time believing that AWT and ADF&G will do much enforcement of this program if it is adopted. I just don't see where the funding will come from.
      Word is that since ADFG doesn't have funding to send qualified biologists out to tranquilize any brown bears caught in snares and remove them that SFW-Alaska will offer up their private helicopter on their own dime to fly bios out to dart the captured brown bears.

Only problem with that is that there are protocols that must be followed whenever Dept personnel tranquilize any animal. Those protocols involve everything from having qualified chopper pilots who are experienced in darting operations, slinging any bears to remove them from the site, insurance concerns if private non-contracting helo and pilot are used, safety of those involved in the entire operation, and more. Basically if the Dept did use private non-contracted freebie helo and pilot, it would break their own protocols. Would be much easier for SFW participants to just shoot, shovel, and shut up.

And read the regs too on having to check snare every 24 hours. So let's say a brown bear is caught. Say a sow with cubs and momma bear is caught in a snare. Weather prevents flying for a couple days (or more) and helo can't make it out there. Gee that sounds like a problem to me. Or...the set is in the trees and biologists can't dart the bear from the air, which is the desired method. They have to land then walk in and dart the bear from the ground, can't sling it...what do they then do with it? Do all the snares in the area then have to be removed? All these details and more were supposed to be worked out but this thing is being rushed through from on high and those on high don't care to bother with pesky details.

Sigh,
      Mark Richards

Comment

black eye

What a black eye for hunters in general and Alaskans in particular. This is what happens when the lunatic fringe takes over.
        An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
        - Jef Mallett

Comment

Why would you want to tranquilize a bear to release it from a snare?
          All you have to do is pull on the release to let the bear loose unharmed.

Personally, I would want a very long rope on the end of the release.

Lets say for some unknown reason a brown bear does get killed. Think of all the moose that will be saved. I can only see a win, win for the people in unit 16 and the moose.

Comment

It appears a bunch of people are tired of how things are getting done by the ADF&G with the out of hand explosion of bears and other predators in this unit and just want a bunch of bears dead. If I lived in unit 16, I'd kill as many bears as I could find. Test a bunch of different rifles and bullets on `em. Surplus bears. Though, I think the whole snaring issue is total nonsense and hope that the BoG laughs at that idea and brushes it aside.

Comment

More fuel for the anti's fire.
              We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Comment

Laughable if it were not so stupid!

WE donate a bunch of tags to SFW so they can auction them off somewhere down in America to raise funds so they can implement a commercial hunting enterprise in Alaska using helicopters and call it predator control?

And at the same time Alaskans are trying to solve predator issues in one area the commercial hunting industry just keeps on using up our sheep, moose and caribou in other areas.

pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by AVALANCHE View Post
                  WE donate a bunch of tags to SFW so they can auction them off somewhere down in America to raise funds so they can implement a commercial hunting enterprise in Alaska using helicopters and call it predator control?

And at the same time Alaskans are trying to solve predator issues in one area the commercial hunting industry just keeps on using up our sheep, moose and caribou in other areas.

pathetic.
                  One of the best summations I have heard.
                  sigpic

Comment

WE donate a bunch of tags to SFW.
                    So please tell us all what tags SFW got? And who is WE?

commercial hunting enterprise in .
                    What commercial enterprise? Are you saying they are getting paid to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by tv321 View Post
                      So please tell us all what tags SFW got? And who is WE?
                      WE would be the people of Alaska.

Are you saying SFW has never had any tags?

Originally posted by tv321 View Post
                      What commercial enterprise? Are you saying they are getting paid to do this?
                      Are you saying SFW unit 16 hunts are 'free'?

Comment

Be aware where it is coming from...

Originally posted by Chisana View Post
                        One of the best summations I have heard.

A Defenders of Wildlife mole.

Comment

Originally posted by J in AK View Post
                          even if it were true, what difference does it make?

Comment

Originally posted by J in AK View Post
                            You're calling me a Defenders of Wildlife mole? I hope you've got the sack to back that up if we are ever face to face.
                            sigpic

Comment

think he meant Avalanche, Chisana

I have to agree with Avalanche; even if he were a DOW "mole," I don't see how it makes his comments any less false or true.

Black is black no matter who points it out, and white is white no matter who says so. J in AK, I don't know Avalanche...or who he is. So please don't misunderstand me.
                              Mark Richards

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X