Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoffman newest BOG member, good or bad?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hoffman newest BOG member, good or bad?

    What do you think of the newest BOG member?
    http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ap_al...ry/614510.html
    16
    He'll do great things for hunting in Alaska.
    18.75%
    3
    I'm scared to think about it.
    12.50%
    2
    I'm crossin' my fingers.
    68.75%
    11

  • #2
    Anybody who is pro-subsistence has my vote. In my opinion most for the board is behind the power curve when it come to really having an understanding about subsistence. This guy seems to have at least walked the walk. I give him a thumbs up for now.
    Chuck

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by hiline View Post
      Anybody who is pro-subsistence has my vote. In my opinion most for the board is behind the power curve when it come to really having an understanding about subsistence. This guy seems to have at least walked the walk. I give him a thumbs up for now.
      I can see your point when looking at remote areas but in my opinion the Tier II system is a travesty on the road system. It is truly the Nelchina liars permit. I am not saying that there are not legitimate subsistence users there but that by and large the permits go to those with a fuzzy memory and who view the black and white of the "law" in various shades of gray. If Mr. Hoffman fights to protect that sham then I think it will be a big negative. Time will tell.

      Comment


      • #4
        Tier II/ What a travesty

        I have been hunting that area for 27 years and still don't qualify for a tier II permit. What is up with that?
        If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip? ALASKADIPNETTING.NET

        Comment


        • #5
          It's all politics

          Originally posted by LuJon View Post
          I can see your point when looking at remote areas but in my opinion the Tier II system is a travesty on the road system. It is truly the Nelchina liars permit. I am not saying that there are not legitimate subsistence users there but that by and large the permits go to those with a fuzzy memory and who view the black and white of the "law" in various shades of gray. If Mr. Hoffman fights to protect that sham then I think it will be a big negative. Time will tell.
          Tier II has little relationship to subsistence it came from courts and pencil pushers who are clueless, Tier II is politics period. There is little resemblance to
          AS 16.05.258. Subsistence Use and Allocation of Fish and Game and 5 AAC 92.070. Tier II subsistence hunting permit point system. Alaska statutes set the parameters, the Admin Codes are determined by the BOG/BOF. The BOG puts more credence in history and specific game populations than an actual dependence or mainstay of livelihood.

          A lot of people believe McDowell said all Alaskans are subsistence users it actually it said all Alaskans are potential subsistence users. It also threw out priority by proximity but said it was OK for the state to set up non-subsistence areas based on social and economic factors. This is where my gripe is I live in the TM565 hunt area in 16 typically over 75% of the Tier II permits go to unit 14 hunters. Unit 14 has sport season for moose, they have other sources of food. They don't have a direct dependence as a mainstay of livelihood if they weren't allowed to hunt over here they would still have a reasonable chance to get a moose in their backyard . Yet there are people living out here who can't get Tier II permits because they haven't lived out here long enough to get points for a hunting history. Theses same people because there is no Safeway, no Costco, or no Chevron out here have to fly to Anchorage to buy the groceries and fuel then have to pay big bucks to get it home. Because we buy our food and fuel in Anchorage get no points for those two categories.

          I know a lot of you out there don't any use for the federal subsistence but at least those people get to argue for their subsistence rights twice a year if you live or hunt state land you only have that opportunity once every four years. The best thing that could happen to subsistence would be to get the politics out it, I figure that will happen about the second Tuesday of next week.






          Chuck

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FamilyMan View Post
            What do you think of the newest BOG member?
            http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ap_al...ry/614510.html

            What do y-o-u think of the appointment?

            I agree with hiline:

            "Anybody who is pro-subsistence has my vote. In my opinion most for the board is behind the power curve when it come to really having an understanding about subsistence. This guy seems to have at least walked the walk. I give him a thumbs up for now."

            Comment


            • #7
              Badddd News for the BOG. His presence on the board was out of demand by a few vocal special interest minded individuals. With a start like that and expectations from supporters, it sets a very bad stage for the play to be carried out on. He will be a thorn is the side of the board.
              "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
              ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Akres View Post
                Badddd News for the BOG. His presence on the board was out of demand by a few vocal special interest minded individuals. With a start like that and expectations from supporters, it sets a very bad stage for the play to be carried out on. He will be a thorn is the side of the board.
                Got any specifics? Not being sarcastic just like to know no one seems to much about him.
                Chuck

                Comment


                • #9
                  me

                  Originally posted by AVALANCHE View Post
                  What do y-o-u think of the appointment? ..."
                  Thanks for asking, Avalanche - - - I think there's a possibility that Hoffman might think more favorably about the TIER 2 system than I do... but I don't know enough about this and I'd like to hear more.

                  Since it has some effect on those here, and because many here know a lot, I just thought I'd ask. I suspect there's more to be said, than has been said so far in this thread.

                  I'm all ears.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ya, if someone knows something speak up. I can't find anything about this guy anywhere. Who are all these mysterious "vocal special interest minded individuals"? Inquiring minds like to know. I hope coming out of Bethel and before that McGrath his attitude about subsistence will be more traditional and less in line with the warped politically motivated Teir II joke.
                    Last edited by hiline; 12-09-2008, 08:04. Reason: Spelling
                    Chuck

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by hiline View Post
                      Ya, if someone knows something speak up. I can't find anything about this guy anywhere. Who are all these mysterious "vocal special interest minded individuals"? Inquiring minds like to know. I hope coming out of Bethel and before that McGrath his attitude about subsistence will be more traditional and less in line with the warped politically motivated Teir II joke.
                      This has been in the news for some time, and we knew it was coming. Have you not heard the rantings? There was even much talk of it at the last two AFN Conventions. Many demands in Letters to the Editor's of every major newspaper in Alaska. If you are willing to give up your hunting rights and priveleges to either "traditional or politically motivated" individuals, that is your right to do so. I oppose both. Equal opportunity is the only method of fish and game allocation, that I will support, NOTHING LESS. That said, I will play the other game, because that is what we have, but I will not support it.

                      If you truly believe that "traditional" methods are being employed, you really need to get out to the bush more often, and see it happen first hand. Perhaps you might change your opinion, and then again maybe not. But it is important to witness what is happening, in order to form an opinion.
                      "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                      ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        you really need to get out to the bush more often
                        I'm betting I live farther out in the bush than most "traditional" Tier II hunters. I also don't see anything "traditional" about Tier II winter snow machine hunts either or Tier II in it present condition either.

                        I don't do TV or get the ADN delivered to my front door, and I can't stand to listen to self inflated wind bags on the radio. The only way I get news is on online. That is why I asked about him. Saying the AFN is pushing him in and of itself is not bad. What specifically is his/their agenda?
                        Chuck

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by hiline View Post
                          I'm betting I live farther out in the bush than most "traditional" Tier II hunters. I also don't see anything "traditional" about Tier II winter snow machine hunts either or Tier II in it present condition either.

                          I don't do TV or get the ADN delivered to my front door, and I can't stand to listen to self inflated wind bags on the radio. The only way I get news is on online. That is why I asked about him. Saying the AFN is pushing him in and of itself is not bad. What specifically is his/their agenda?
                          Well, it is hard to keep up with agendas, if you are unable or unwilling to listen in on, attend meetings or watch the groups in action. AFN, Local Advisory Boards to F&G and many others (to include each and every individual) all have an agenda. The common trait among them, is they want special priveleges and top social economic status. They want to be the Have's and not the Have Not's. They want others to be the bottomfeeders, while they skim the cream from the top.

                          I see you are very down on Tier II. Do you then, support the use of snowmachines, planes, bulldozers, walkie talkies, ariel spotting or any other modern technological means and methods for "traditional" (your term, as you suggest this new member to the BOG will somehow help this cause along) Subsistence Hunting and Fishing? To focus on Tier II and not the rest, seems shortsighted to me.

                          BTW, your place of residence has no bearing on your status or classification. Some realize that, but I thought I would clarify it for others.
                          "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                          ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I see you are very down on Tier II. Do you then, support the use of snowmachines, planes, bulldozers, walkie talkies, ariel spotting or any other modern technological means and methods for "traditional" (your term, as you suggest this new member to the BOG will somehow help this cause along) Subsistence Hunting and Fishing? To focus on Tier II and not the rest, seems shortsighted to me.
                            Don't suppose you could show me where I suggested any of those methods as traditional. And traditional is not my term I use it to be sarcastic when I reference it to Tier II since that is how the courts decided that is what Tier II points should be based on.
                            Chuck

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hiline, I'm betting you're right. If you don't have an anchorage, palmer, or wasilla address you win. Didn't you know thes areas are the subsistence hub of the state.

                              The terms Tier II and traditional and customary use are slung around in arguments so much now that nobody takes it seriously. Especially in the areas that those terms are used on roadside hunts.
                              Proud Member of the
                              Alaska Frontier Trappers Association

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X