Board of game proposal 199 trapping Matsu valley trapping setback from trails.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Well, if that seems far fetched to you, i suggest you brush up on your understanding of the definition of public land.

The attitude you've just articulated exemplifies the very essence of the problem: a portion of one single user group believes they should have use of public land for their chosen activity, to the exclusion of the rest of the public. It simply doesn't work that way.
    I'm not saying there shouldn't be trail set aside that do not allow trapping within the right of those trails.
    But I do think a trapper can make trails for their own trapping use especially on more remote public lands.
    For instance I read the books by Julie and Micki Collins on the remote trap line in the lake Minchumina area.
    As remote as their trap line is you honestly think they should not be allowed to set traps anywhere near the trails they have built and maintained for the last 40 some odd years?
    That all of their traps should be at least 50 yards off of those trails?
    They run dog sleds on those trails all the time and don't seem to have issues with them.
    With an attitude like yours it's a wonder we allow trapping at all on public lands.
    We might as well let the predator species numbers grow so they can pray on more moose and Caribou calves.
    There's a reason the trapping laws were written The way they are.
    And Alaska is unlike any other state with our vast tracks of public land.
    I remember reading stories of PETA and/or similar groups following trappers out and setting off every one of their traps.
    That's why trapper harassment laws were put into effect and why the public isn't allowed to tamper with people's traps.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
      With an attitude like yours it's a wonder we allow trapping at all on public lands.
      With an attitude like yours, you will eventually succeed in getting trapping banned entirely on public land. You seem to be grasping at straw arguments in an effort to find something that will stick... But public land is public land, owned and held in trust for use and enjoyment by the public; open to all users, unless otherwise restricted. You can play nice and share it with your fellow citizens...or you can try to claim it for your own exclusive use. The latter ultimately will fail.

As for your example of Julie and Micki, I don't know them and can't speak for them, but I've enjoyed reading their writing over the years, and have crossed paths with them here in town several times. They don't strike me as arrogant, selfish people, the likes of which would try to claim exclusive use of any trail on public land, and I imagine if you were to ask them directly they'd set you straight on that.
      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
        With an attitude like yours, you will eventually succeed in getting trapping banned entirely on public land. You seem to be grasping at straw arguments in an effort to find something that will stick... But public land is public land, owned and held in trust for use and enjoyment by the public; open to all users, unless otherwise restricted. You can play nice and share it with your fellow citizens...or you can try to claim it for your own exclusive use. The latter ultimately will fail.

As for your example of Julie and Micki, I don't know them and can't speak for them, but I've enjoyed reading their writing over the years, and have crossed paths with them here in town several times. They don't strike me as arrogant, selfish people, the likes of which would try to claim exclusive use of any trail on public land, and I imagine if you were to ask them directly they'd set you straight on that.
        I'm not grasping at any straws.
        You're the one that's claiming that if a trapper builds any sort of trail or uses any sort of trail that happens to be on public land that they should not be able to set a trap anywhere near said trail.
        And I am saying that that is ridiculous argument.
        Under that premise where are they to set their traps?
        Particular if they cannot use any kind of trail as part of their trapping ventures.
        And I think my point about Julie and Micki Collins has gone over your head.
        What I'm saying is they have an established trail network on public land that they have set traps on or very near.
        By your premise they should not be allowed to do so because they have now claimed this land.
        And you don't believe the people should have traps set on or near any trails on any public land.
        There by you are saying that they should not be allowed to run their trap line as they have for all of these years.
        Even though their trap line is very remote and probably seldom if ever sees other users on it.
        But by your definition they have claimed exclusive rights to this public land where their trap line has been run.
        You're the one claiming that they have exclusive use of a trail on public land.
        I have no problem with their trap line you're the one that wants to shut them down and others who trap the same way they do.

Comment

I think the point is that traps shouldn't be next to trails that are built and maintained with public funds. trails like you find at Kelly/Peterson Lakes. Kenai Overlook trail, Skyline, Slaughter Gulch. Primrose. These are trails used by hikers, skiers, snow shoers, dog walkers, (yes likely not on a leash) If you have an unmaintained trail way out in the sticks, go for it. I have a friend that snow shoes in for miles on the Refuge to set traps. He isn't going to catch anyone's dog out there. Rainbow Trail? McHugh Creek? Bodenberg Butte? Yeah, you might have a conflict on trails such as those.
          Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
            I think the point is that traps shouldn't be next to trails that are built and maintained with public funds. trails like you find at Kelly/Peterson Lakes. Kenai Overlook trail, Skyline, Slaughter Gulch. Primrose. These are trails used by hikers, skiers, snow shoers, dog walkers, (yes likely not on a leash) If you have an unmaintained trail way out in the sticks, go for it. I have a friend that snow shoes in for miles on the Refuge to set traps. He isn't going to catch anyone's dog out there. Rainbow Trail? McHugh Creek? Bodenberg Butte? Yeah, you might have a conflict on trails such as those.
            I agree 100% with what you're saying.
            You hit the nail on the head.
            These designated public trails built/maintained with public funds should be off limits.
            But a trail out in the sticks that is maintained only by the trapper that uses it should be okay for them to trap.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X