Guided hunting industry rewards itself through Alaska Board of Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guided hunting industry rewards itself through Alaska Board of Game

Couldn't post this article from my iPhone but it is worth reading, looks like they want their cake and eat it too while greatly dicouraging anyone with relatives to come up and hunt for certain species while putting no limits on other nonresident Hunter. What a shame if the article holds any truth sure looks like it's time to get rid of the guide restrictions then or make if the same for all nonresident Hunter's

I'd be cautious about terms such as "they". I'd agree that some things APHA has pushed are not in the interest of resident hunters, but it's been made clear by some guides that APHA does not speak for all guides.

Comment

Just putting the article out there as I have not seen it pop up yet, that's is why I added the last sentence about how much truth it holds. Would like to see guides not in support of this issue speak out on it though

Comment

What "article" I haven't seen a link, did I miss something?

Comment

here is the link

http://www.adn.com/article/20160411/...ska-board-game

Comment

Page 3 of 5 under Misc.
            http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-f/..._2016-2017.pdf
            summary of BOG changes for 2016/2017

Comment

There's a thread in wildlife management about this exact same thing. Maybe combine them moderators?
              I would also caution about this article....it's one side. A very specific side. Not a neutral side, not a iffy side, a very specific agenda side.
              Www.blackriverhunting.com
              Master guide 212

Comment

Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
                There's a thread in wildlife management about this exact same thing. Maybe combine them moderators?
                I would also caution about this article....it's one side. A very specific side. Not a neutral side, not a iffy side, a very specific agenda side.
                Yea, an agenda the vast majority of Alaska residents have been pushing for far too long. Far as I'm concerned the board of game finally showed their true colors and shot themselves in the foot. Alaskans asked for simple cuts to non-residents, and what the board did is simply show they are beholden to only commercial operators. Enough is enough, time for cuts and massive changes to the good ol' boys club of allocation Alaska's wildlife.

Comment

The article was about turner, restructuring the board and the guide industry. Very little was actually about resident allocation. Residents will get their mountains back, it's coming. It's going to be a prelude to disaster for all Alaskans shortly after.

I don't think it's the VAST majority of Alaskans, not all of them are on the forums getting pumped up.
                  Master guide 212

Comment

I don't know if I would merge it. There are a lot of people that do not go to the wildlife management forum and do not know of the approved future rule that as a resident they would have to punch their tag for a relative to harvest a brown bear, mtn goat or sheep.

Comment

Meanwhile in reality, the PETA folks are grinning ear to ear...

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                        I'd be cautious about terms such as "they". I'd agree that some things APHA has pushed are not in the interest of resident hunters, but it's been made clear by some guides that APHA does not speak for all guides.
                        Thank you, Brian. That is 100% spot-on.

-Mike
                        Michael Strahan
                        Site Owner
                        Alaska Hunt Consultant
                        1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Wouldn't need to stay in the management forum...no matter.

This article is actually pretty clever. Maybe I'm off as I'm not the one that wrote it, but it seems some guys realized that moaning in the forums didn't change anything, so gather some coin, get some backing and figure out a way to drag an individual thru the mud to discredit him and get his reinstatement dumped. In order to fill a seat on the board with someone you want,
                          First remove someone you don't want. If the BOG isn't going to listen to different proposals then change the ears on the board. Best way to get stuff done.
                          I do feel bad this was at the expense of turner. Gotta be rough to be a target of residents of the same state that you live off the land of.
                          Master guide 212

Comment

Wouldn't need to stay in the management forum...no matter.

This article is actually pretty clever. Maybe I'm off as I'm not the one that wrote it, but it seems some guys realized that moaning in the forums didn't change anything, so gather some coin, get some backing and figure out a way to drag an individual thru the mud to discredit him and get his reinstatement dumped. In order to fill a seat on the board with someone you want,
                            First remove someone you don't want. If the BOG isn't going to listen to different proposals then change the ears on the board. Best way to get stuff done.
                            I do feel bad this was at the expense of turner. Gotta be rough to be a target of residents of the same state that you live off the land of.
                            Jake,

That's exactly what I saw this as. It's not a reach at all to imagine that there was a meeting somewhere to discuss tactics, and one of the first was to change the composition of the board. I don't know Mr. Turner, or anything about him really. But it's disappointing to see it reduced to this level.

Honestly I am stunned after reading that article. It's not at all what I expected. The tragedy is that, for unthinking people, it's going to brand an entire group of hunters.

-Mike
                            Michael Strahan
                            Site Owner
                            Alaska Hunt Consultant
                            1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Strahan View Post
                              Jake,

That's exactly what I saw this as. It's not a reach at all to imagine that there was a meeting somewhere to discuss tactics, and one of the first was to change the composition of the board. I don't know Mr. Turner, or anything about him really. But it's disappointing to see it reduced to this level.

Honestly I am stunned after reading that article. It's not at all what I expected. The tragedy is that, for unthinking people, it's going to brand an entire group of hunters.

-Mike

thats the same thing I was thinking while sitting at the BOG public testimony, but watching from the Resident side.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X