Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AK Hunters screwed by Professional Hunter Aswsociation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I guess the bright side is at least there's still a chance for him to hunt. Pretty soon non res will be a lot more limited. Gotta plan dual specie hunts now, one with the grizz tag and one with the sheep tag. Take turns. But at least you guys can still hunt together, those days are dwindling.....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

    Comment


    • #17
      Once again the BOG showing alignment with the guiding industry. The APHA hates next of kin, they only see it as a loss of a $20,000 opportunity. I wish Alaska would just get rid of the guide requirements for the 3 species, make all nonresidents a draw and leave it up to them if they want a guide; we all know its not for safety. I know next state wide BOG meeting I will be submitting a proposal that all guides and assistant guides that successfully take one of the 3 required guided species will not be able to hunt those species that year.

      At least this pushed me over the edge to pony up the 1k for RHAK.

      Comment


      • #18
        "proposal that all guides and assistant guides that successfully take one of the 3 required guided species will not be able to hunt those species that year."

        What? I'm totally not understanding this one?
        Www.blackriverhunting.com
        Master guide 212

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
          "proposal that all guides and assistant guides that successfully take one of the 3 required guided species will not be able to hunt (for themselves) those species that year."

          What? I'm totally not understanding this one?
          Sorry, my proposal will be clearer, if a guide/assistant guide's hunter takes a sheep, goat, or brown bear they will also have to punch their tag for the year. Same as the new NOK rule...


          Comment


          • #20
            I got it. So a guide could only guide for one sheep, one moose, two grizzly in some areas. Basicly limit a guide to about seven hunts a year?
            Www.blackriverhunting.com
            Master guide 212

            Comment


            • #21
              No, I think he is saying they they couldn't go hunt a sheep after guiding a client.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • #22
                I don't know any guides who go hunt for themselves. Why waste time spending money when our time to make it is so short? I usually don't even get my harvest tickets. Can't hunt big game with a client in the field anyway.

                But if a guide punches his tag for one client, there's no tag left to punch for the second client.
                Www.blackriverhunting.com
                Master guide 212

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by thunderhead85 View Post
                  Once again the BOG showing alignment with the guiding industry. The APHA hates next of kin, they only see it as a loss of a $20,000 opportunity. I wish Alaska would just get rid of the guide requirements for the 3 species, make all nonresidents a draw and leave it up to them if they want a guide; we all know its not for safety. I know next state wide BOG meeting I will be submitting a proposal that all guides and assistant guides that successfully take one of the 3 required guided species will not be able to hunt those species that year.

                  At least this pushed me over the edge to pony up the 1k for RHAK.



                  I hope you didn't mean "next of kin" as Alaska is much worse with "second degree of kindred" and if your mother-in-law is also your "next of kin", I feel for you.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    No brwnbr, if a guide or assistant guide, guides for those 3 species he can't hunt them himself (assuming at least one of his clients are successful). Same if I take my brother sheep hunting, and he is successful I can't hunt sheep that year too. And moose are not covered in this new reg as far as I now.

                    I personally know several guides that hunt for themselves after the clients are out of the field. Might not be common but does happen.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by thunderhead85 View Post
                      Once again the BOG showing alignment with the guiding industry. The APHA hates next of kin, they only see it as a loss of a $20,000 opportunity. I wish Alaska would just get rid of the guide requirements for the 3 species, make all nonresidents a draw and leave it up to them if they want a guide; we all know its not for safety. I know next state wide BOG meeting I will be submitting a proposal that all guides and assistant guides that successfully take one of the 3 required guided species will not be able to hunt those species that year.

                      At least this pushed me over the edge to pony up the 1k for RHAK.
                      You might want to give Wayne Heimer's article a good read before you do that. Just in the interest of making an informed decision. He just sent the article to me and I posted it here a few minutes ago. HERE'S THE LINK.

                      If it helps, Wayne gets nothing out of your decision, either way. His primary concern is the health of the resource.

                      Seems to me that the BOG gave something to both residents and nonresidents this time, though folks on either side will claim it all went to the "other guys". Nonresident sheep hunters took a big hit with the 1 in 4 years requirement, and few residents who guide their nonresident relatives took a hit with Prop. 51.

                      -Mike
                      Michael Strahan
                      Site Owner
                      Alaska Hunt Consultant
                      1 (907) 229-4501

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Ahh I see what your saying. If it's not that common why waste time with it? Might as well just try to limit the number of sheep clients a guide could contract hunts for. Make more of a difference that way.
                        Www.blackriverhunting.com
                        Master guide 212

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          AK Hunters screwed by Professional Hunter Aswsociation

                          Originally posted by Michael Strahan View Post
                          Nonresident sheep hunters took a big hit with the 1 in 4 years requirement...

                          -Mike
                          A bit hit? How many non-resident sheep hunters pursue sheep a second time within four years of taking a ram? I don't have the numbers on hand, but it is a very small number. This will affect a very few non-resident hunters. How is that a "big hit"? I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but those that suspect this is just setting the stage for 1-in-4 for residents at a later date might have a point. At best this was a mostly meaningless bone to toss residents so that the BOG can claim to have done something. The actual effect on harvest will be nearly zero.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by J in AK View Post
                            Yep, I agree with ya Snyd. What really gets me, are the military guys that use the, "I got transferred out of state, but intend to retire to Alaska" that keep their residency in Alaska, when they really have no intention of doing so. Then, on top of that, they bring their brother up every year to kill a ram. It's ridiculous, and it happens.
                            Not to mention the fact that they continue to collect the permanent fund along with the rest of their family (husband/wife, kids), and this can go on for many many years while they continue to be in the military but live in other parts of the country/world. But that's a whole other subject and I digress, sorry for the rant.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Mike, please thank Wayne for that very detailed response. It's about time somebody present logic and reason to the melodrama that has become of sheep hunting in alaska.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                                A bit hit? How many non-resident sheep hunters pursue sheep a second time within four years of taking a ram? I don't have the numbers on hand, but it is a very small number. This will affect a very few non-resident hunters. How is that a "big hit"? I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but those that suspect this is just setting the stage for 1-in-4 for residents at a later date might have a point. At best this was a mostly meaningless bone to toss residents so that the BOG can claim to have done something. The actual effect on harvest will be nearly zero.
                                I'm only basing that statement on what I have seen while I was guiding sheep hunters. About 20% or so were returning successful clients. Some of them fall as much in love with sheep hunting as do resident hunters.

                                It would be interesting to see the hard data on this, on both sides.
                                Michael Strahan
                                Site Owner
                                Alaska Hunt Consultant
                                1 (907) 229-4501

                                Comment

                                Footer Adsense

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X