The Sheep "problem" and observations from the BOG meeting in FBX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I agree on the aerial spotting. Those who are doing it will not be stopped.

The comments on the youth hunts were interesting, and I took them as the Board genuinely wanting to allow families to hunt together before the school season starts. They recognized that a very small number of hunters might remain in the field in the gap between the youth hunt and the general season hunt, but they thought the impact from that would be negligible. They also discussed the issue of disturbing sheep before the general season started, but the consensus was that participation would probably be fairly low on that hunt, and the impact minimal.

I think everyone realizes that there's no way to accurately predict what will happen, but it was nice to hear that the Board is sympathetic with the idea of getting our young people out into the field and giving them a quality experience. I got the impression that they truly cared.
    Well,, they have poop pooped other youth hunts and while they made feel good comments, it was member Sager-Albough who reminded them there was a mandate from the Legislature to establish youth hunts when possible......
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

So I can take my son to Virgil Umphenour's guiding area and hunt there for 5 days before he is allowed to. Thanks for "sharing the burden" Virgil! LOL

Comment

As I understand the new youth hunt, it is open to non-residents so the guides can extend their season and still tie up a lot of sheep hunting areas by marketing and selling youth sheep hunts!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Springer View Post
          So I can take my son to Virgil Umphenour's guiding area and hunt there for 5 days before he is allowed to. Thanks for "sharing the burden" Virgil! LOL
          Wow. Really?
          Michael Strahan
          Site Owner
          Alaska Hunt Consultant
          1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X