No announcement yet.

New proposals on Spike/Fork, and the 50" clarifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can say that was a young moose with a spike on one side. Exactly the kind we want to remove from the gene pool. Especially if its a 2 year old!

Have you ever watched the Moose Legal video? A healthy 2 y/o should be in the mid 30s

Comment

http://www.all-about-moose.com/moose-antlers.html

Comment

Just because weed is legal now, doesn't mean a guy should smoke the whole joint before starting a thread....

-Grin-
        “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
        "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Comment

And what does a 30 year old study on moose in British Columbia have to do with Alaskan moose?

They didn't mention anything about nutrition or genetics having a major part of antler development.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock_skipper View Post
            And yes that would be illegal under the new regs. How many on here could tell me if this moose has a palm started on either side?

Yes I'm going for both sides as to how people want to use the loophole to there advantage.

This moose was going on about 2-1/2 years old and was showing promise of being in the good part of the genitic pool.

You guys might not agree with me, at the same time, I don't agree with you, lol.

If you want to shoot a any horn shape, then hunt them in a any size bull unit, if not then know what you are shooting at.
            So, now you are not only talking about changing the regs to make anything with any palmation illegal (unless it is a 50"+ bull), but you are ALSO trying to change it so that both sides would have to be legal for a moose to be legal? I totally disagree with that idea. That is a great way to lead to a lot more illegal moose being taken. People have a hard enough time telling a legal bull when only one side is being judged, and now you want to make it so both side have to be judged? Have you really thought this through?

What you are really accomplishing with your ideas to change the regs is to reduce the number of moose taken, plain and simple. That isn't something the BOG is going to even look twice at. No way you would get past the first round of evaluating the proposals.

Comment

My family likes to eat moose so I'd vote against any of Rockskippers ideas on this, but I agree with anch skier that requiring the brow times on both sides would cause a ton of problems. At least the way that I hunt, verifying that both sides has 4 brow tines before firing would probably have cost me 1/3 of the legal moose I've shot over the years. You just don't always get a good look at both sides. Maybe the better rule would be to require guided hunters to harvest moose more than 10 miles from a public road to reduce the competition with joe six pack trying to find a moose for his family in the evenings after work. Just a thought mind you, not a BOG proposal..

Comment

Originally posted by dkwarthog View Post
                My family likes to eat moose so I'd vote against any of Rockskippers ideas on this, but I agree with anch skier that requiring the brow times on both sides would cause a ton of problems. At least the way that I hunt, verifying that both sides has 4 brow tines before firing would probably have cost me 1/3 of the legal moose I've shot over the years. You just don't always get a good look at both sides. Maybe the better rule would be to require guided hunters to harvest moose more than 10 miles from a public road to reduce the competition with joe six pack trying to find a moose for his family in the evenings after work. Just a thought mind you, not a BOG proposal..

Who you calling 'Joe Six Pack?'
                Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Me..........

Comment

Originally posted by dkwarthog View Post
                    ......but I agree with anch skier that requiring the brow times on both sides would cause a ton of problems.....
                    Hmmmm..... I thought I said that...???.......lol

I would have to agree with him though here.....

Originally posted by anchskier View Post
                    No way you would get past the first round of evaluating the proposals.
                    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

O.K. guys, Maybe I did'nt express myself as the way it was supposed to come out, but I did get a feel of how you all feel.

I guess I should ask first as to how the unit that you live in is doing with the moose population? Did the spike/fork work there?

Why do you travel this far to shot a moose? ( The ones from the south ) ITS because its on the road system and you could'nt give a **** about the territory that you invade because you are only going to be there for a week out of the year and they have moose that fits that profile.

I dont know how to show you guys that what you are doing by letting people get by with shooting a questionable moose will kill all the moose hunting here, and it will go to permits only and then you have just taking the locals out of the picture.

Yes I would take back the statement on the fork bull that I said would not be legal and would state in that instance that a fork on one side and the other could not be palmed larger than 6 inchs anyway you spread the tape, and if it has palms on both sides it is ILLegal no matter what tines it has.

Thanks.

Comment

I've never hunted near Delta, the spike/fork has been working in the 7,14 and 15 units that I do hunt.

You are ASSuming a lot about the relatively few hunters and why they hunt near you and their dispositions.

Just because you have a feeling that shooting questionable moose will cause it to go to permit doesn't mean its true.
                        How many illegal moose were shot there this year? How many were "questionable "? What is the overall impact on the total population?

Finally, by making an animal illegal according to BOTH sides and REGARDLESS of tines is going to guarantee that your proposal wont make it part the local A.C.

Comment

Thanks AK.

Comment

I'm not against restricting harvest, just additional regulations.

Have you looked at getting rid of the fork legality like they did it 15? That had a dramatic impact on harvest and made it fairly simple to tell if a young bull was legal. Its hard to argue a spike Lol.

It would have precedence going before the Board and you could have biological data backing it up as well.

Comment

Wouldnt make rock happy if the fork had palmation though. While you are at it, skipper, add a proposal that no resident hunter may hunt moose outside the unit of his residence. That is, afterall, what seems to have you most upset.

Comment

Here to cast yet another loud "NO" vote, little to NO support here for the nonsense you want to propose there, Rockskipper!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X