Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little Su Salmon Runs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Little Su Salmon Runs

    This is a Petition Requesting ADF&G move Little Susitna Weir back to Mile Marker 32.5 or a similar down river location of the Little Susitna River In order to actively manage for sustainable numbers of all salmon species

    http://www.petitiononline.com/lilsu/petition.html

  • #2
    I know how to manage it Bob. Get rid of the guides and let the Alaskans have the river back

    <edit> Did I mention the 100 families that live off Shrock on Sage. The kids rack and stack kings out of the spawning beds all summer long
    sigpic




    I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by fullbush View Post
      <edit> Did I mention the 100 families that live off Shrock on Sage. The kids rack and stack kings out of the spawning beds all summer long
      I have seen Kings up at the lil su bridge on the Parks. They don't look like they are healthy enough to even make it up that far, lol

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by salmon_bone View Post
        I have seen Kings up at the lil su bridge on the Parks. They don't look like they are healthy enough to even make it up that far, lol
        I live on the little su by the old carney bridge and 15 years ago you could walk across them. I'd say there were pretty good numbers this year though. I floated down to the new bridge at n.shushana and probably counted a 100 decent ones or so, tons of jacks however. While fishing trout I couldn't keep the jizz shootin lil busters off my bead
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 007.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	2478662Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 008.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	2478663
        sigpic




        I'm taking a poll
        <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

        Comment


        • #5
          Fullbush can you eat those things? Don't look too bad but never know, I have always wondered why they are in the rivers.
          Mike
          www.coffmancoveak.com
          Prince of Wales Island

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Gooch View Post
            Fullbush can you eat those things? Don't look too bad but never know, I have always wondered why they are in the rivers.
            Gooch they're there to perpetuate the species. Gods way of giving us a second chance if say there was a flood, earth quake, volcano, freeze out, draught or simply just to many dipnetters and a year class was wiped out. This is my understanding anyway...
            sigpic




            I'm taking a poll
            <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Gooch View Post
              Fullbush can you eat those things? Don't look too bad but never know, I have always wondered why they are in the rivers.
              Jacks are the result of a smolt being too big when it outmigrates (> 20 grams). They are in such good shape when they hit the salt they only feed for one year and have the required fat content to return and spawn. 99% are Jacks, 1% are Jills. Females require more fat to develope their eggs.
              Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by FishGod View Post
                Jacks are the result of a smolt being too big when it outmigrates (> 20 grams). They are in such good shape when they hit the salt they only feed for one year and have the required fat content to return and spawn. 99% are Jacks, 1% are Jills. Females require more fat to develope their eggs.
                FishGod--Do these jacks and jills as it were, spawn successfully? It seems like they annoy the big ones
                sigpic




                I'm taking a poll
                <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yeah, there milt is just as viable as a 10,20,30 etc pounder. Obviously it's hard to compete with a 45# buck when your 1-2 pounds. One tactic they use is to get in small groups and aggravate the larger male. As the larger buck chases the jacks, 1-2 jacks sneek in with hen and spread their milt.
                  Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Reel Bob View Post
                    In order to actively manage for sustainable numbers of all salmon species
                    This should help a little....

                    continuing to fish for coho salmon after retaining a bag limit on the Little Susitna will be prohibited.

                    http://www.frontiersman.com/articles...5345831664.txt

                    Coho are a HORRIBLE c&r species, esp before they have hardened off (scales set and slimed up). This will reduce unnecessary mortailty and cycle folks off the river faster.
                    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
                    sigpic
                    The KeenEye MD

                    Comment

                    Footer Adsense

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X