Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All-out JIHAD on Alexander pike

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • All-out JIHAD on Alexander pike

    Program aims to kill pike in Alaska

    PAY TO SLAY: Fish and Game gets money from fund that will supplement state's contribution.
    By MIKE CAMPBELL
    mcampbell@adn.com
    Published: January 31st, 2011 10:51 PM
    Last Modified: January 31st, 2011 10:52 PM
    The battle to rid Alexander Creek of salmon-munching northern pike may escalate into a war next summer.



    Read more: http://www.adn.com/2011/01/31/167754...#ixzz1FbKF65G4
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    sigpic
    The KeenEye MD

  • #2
    Can anyone tell me why there is a limit on pike in Alaska? How about making them "no closed season - no limit" and for places that they really want to reduce the population, pay rewards to anglers for catching them. Set a price on their heads of a buck or two a pound. You will attract the types of anglers that will mercilessly hunt down and kill every pike they can hook. It's worked in other parts of the country with other invasive species.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

    Comment


    • #3
      Screw a bunch of salmon,,,,pike is as good to eat as salmon,and you don't have to argue with a bunch of commercial fishermen about who has the right to catch them....

      Comment


      • #4
        FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the link doc.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JOAT View Post
          You will attract the types of anglers that will mercilessly hunt down and kill every pike they can hook. It's worked in other parts of the country with other invasive species.
          Can you give me examples of where this has worked for any type of fish? Bet you can't.

          The only way you'll eliminate all the pike is checmically kill the watershed. If you can't do that you need to manage for pike or you're just wasting time and money.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JOAT View Post
            Can anyone tell me why there is a limit on pike in Alaska? How about making them "no closed season - no limit" and for places that they really want to reduce the population, pay rewards to anglers for catching them. Set a price on their heads of a buck or two a pound. You will attract the types of anglers that will mercilessly hunt down and kill every pike they can hook. It's worked in other parts of the country with other invasive species.
            Can't imagine why anyone would want to wipe out the Pike in areas of the state where they are not an invasive species. The interior rivers have pike populations and create a great fishery along side the local salmon runs. The fishery certainly can't withstand a "no limit" regulation. I personally prefer pike fishing over salmon fishing on the rivers.

            Comment


            • #7
              OH NO!!!
              We Alaskan's...We Sportsmen are going to get another Black Eye outta this...Killing off predators, just so we can pick and choose the species we favor! How are the Undecided Masses going to interpret our actions? First it's Wolves, then it's Bears and now the Pike...I mean come on...leaving the succulent, flavorful, nutrient filled white flesh of Pike layed to Waste! To Selfishly target a given species in a given location, with total disregard to the remainder of the state!!! Gotta love the hipocracy of our fellow Alaskan's when it comes to Predator Control Efforts...Too Funny to not be True
              "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
              ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rambling raven View Post
                Can't imagine why anyone would want to wipe out the Pike in areas of the state where they are not an invasive species. The interior rivers have pike populations and create a great fishery along side the local salmon runs. The fishery certainly can't withstand a "no limit" regulation. I personally prefer pike fishing over salmon fishing on the rivers.
                True. In many areas of the state, pike and other species coexist.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm all for them killing little pike. Continue the trophy fishery by eliminating as many small pike (27" and under) as possible. The population will be fine and Alexander will continue to have trophy sized pike. The big ones are not the major threat to salmon, as they eat very little in the summer time.

                  If a number of pike aren't eliminated it's possible the lake could suffer a pop. crash and end up a lake of stunted fish.
                  "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

                  Comment

                  Footer Adsense

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X