Latest Kenai report.... Fri 5/29/09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Kenai report.... Fri 5/29/09

Here's the ADFG Kenai report... HOT OFF THE PRESS!

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Static/fishing_reports/PDFs/ERsumm.pdf

If you want to catch one, it's all about the rod hours. Keep those lines wet, folks!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    sigpic
    The KeenEye MD

If I'm reading this report correctly, the unguided anglers are kicking the guided anglers butts! 87 hours per fish for non-guided, and 125 hours per fish for guided..... Did I read that right?
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Comment

So anglers have killed 25 fish and there are 922 in the river. Hmmmm...... I don't have a calculator on me but that is a very low percentage. About 3% or so, if my mind math is working this late at night. Also with 47 being caught and only 25 killed there must be some slot fish or a bunch of dinks, I am leaning toward slot fish as I have heard of some being released.

Comment

Originally posted by markw3 View Post
        If I'm reading this report correctly, the unguided anglers are kicking the guided anglers butts! 87 hours per fish for non-guided, and 125 hours per fish for guided..... Did I read that right?
        Yeah, you guys must really suck this year, Mark! Well, at least some of you.

Originally posted by yukon View Post
        Also with 47 being caught and only 25 killed there must be some slot fish or a bunch of dinks, I am leaning toward slot fish as I have heard of some being released.
        Or some bonafide discretionary C&R of non-slot fish. You know, folks actually releasing bonkable fish rather than just the ones they are legally mandated to.
        "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
        sigpic
        The KeenEye MD

Comment

Not necessarily unusual this time of year

This isn't surprising... the guides are out most every day despite the weather, tides, water color, sonar counts, etc. The unguided angler will often cherry pick the good peak days when all indications are that the fishing is hot.

While I agree that the unguided angler in general is becoming more and more skilled and effective, the guide will typically have the upper hand, simply because they are out every day and have the river and fish dialed in. So, don't let the numbers fool you....

p.s. Mark, my suspicion is that this was tongue in cheek... thanks for the ribbing and the smiles.

Comment

HERE THEY COME!

353 kings counted by the sonar y'day!

The last three days passage has done wonders for the projection (based purely on a run-timing model).

In-river projection now stands at 10.3K. At 25% exploitation,the escapement projection is now 7.7K.

Looks like BEG is securely in the bag. Anyone else smell bait around the corner?
            sigpic
            The KeenEye MD

Comment

Just a few days ago I was wondering if we might see catch and release around the corner, and now there's a chance we could even see bait early.... it's strange though, although the counts have increased 5 fold in the last couple days, the fishing has been very slow still... Landed a 42 inch hen today, but only saw 2 other fish caught, and it was the busiest day thusfar. I was seeing about the same (2 fish per day) thing even when we were only getting 40-70 fish each day.
              www.akfishology.com

Comment

More pressure today so more pieces of the pie shared by others. I saw 10 or so caught today and several others that got away. I saw two slot fish released today as well...

Comment

I must have been in the wrong places at the wrong times... I did land one, but only saw two others landed in 6 hours. Where were you fishing iceblue?
                  www.akfishology.com

Comment

Early on I saw one come out of Porters, one out of airplane, then went down to Crossover and saw a three or four caught on the incoming, bounced up to Eagle Rock (Toilet) saw a handful more caught as tide hit the high, ran back to Porters saw one more there, worked airplane for a little bit saw another one there, went back down to Toilet and saw three or four more before calling it a day. Never did fish Honeymoon or Fall n Hole today. Best bite today seemed to be by following the tide in and then back out again. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Comment

I must have been running away from the bite today I guess... I got mine at Honeymoon, and saw the other two at Toilet Hole and Airplane. Only saw one other boat get bit and miss it. I must have been one or two holes away from the bite all day. Oh well
                      www.akfishology.com

Comment

Landed the third slot king of the season in my boat today. Nice 49 inch buck that was caught by a Sterling resident that has 1000's of hours of fishing the Kenai River under his belt. He also just got home from spending the winter dealing with cancer treatment. Another guide boat, Joe Hanes, was going by and stopped to take a picture from his boat for the guy even though Hanes did not know him or his story. It was a pretty cool thing for Hanes to do and the guys in my boat raved about how neat it was that someone would stop and take a few minutes to do this for someone else as a picture from another boat offers a angle that just cannot be had from within the boat with the fish in the net.
                        I can say that if I am on the river and see someone trying to take pictures of a fish that they intend to release that I will offer to help with the camera if they will let me. Thanks Joe.

Comment

Great idea

Ice blue, Those words are SSSOOOO true. I agree with you, very hard to get a good picture from the boat of a fish you are going to release. Whats the chance we could get a few more people to try this!!!

Comment

thanks for the update

I will throw in my observations and experience for the day. There were more boats and there were more fish caught then the last couple of days, and I share iceblues feeling on the tide. We started out at honeymoon at 6am and missed one right out of the gate on a cheater. Around 730 went down to the toilet hole and fished the incoming tide. Saw about 5 hooked out of 10 boats and boxed a chromer at around 830. Fished the tide out at the toilet, and saw a couple more on between 830 and 10. Took a break (someone decided a beer run was in order) and got back out around 1130. By shortly after lunch the boats all but disappeared. We scratched around and had 2 drivebys. We caught a clone of the first fish at honeymoon at around 330 and boxed it. Called it a day. Congrats iceblue on helping that gentleman find that fish. If your like me that's what makes all the work and "dues paying" worth it. Here's to hoping they keep coming!!

Comment

Is this right? That would be only 1 fish per 15 guided 8 hour days. I landed 4 kings to 35 lbs in 4 hours last summer on the Talkeetna, and it was my first time king fishing on a river, ever. Am I lucky, good :rolleyes:, or is something particularly difficult about Kenai kings?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X