Halibut Charter Moritorium being announced this week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halibut Charter Moritorium being announced this week

I have it from a relieable source that the long over due halibut charter guide moritorium is going to be announced for its final public comment period this week. After which, it should become law. That would mean that last year was the "year prior to implementation" The permits should be good to go by 2010 if all falls into place.

By my simple understanding of this rule, you will have had to fished for halibut in 2004 or 2005 AND the year prior to implementaion which was 2008. If you have not done these things and you are in this business, you might be looking towards someone who will be getting a transferable permit or you will not be halibut fishing next year.

I will post the announcment when if shows up in the Federal Register.
    www.graylightalaska.com
    http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/ga...arter-captains
    (800)566-3912

Originally posted by AKCAPT View Post
    I have it from a relieable source that the long over due halibut charter guide moritorium is going to be announced for its final public comment period this week. After which, it should become law. That would mean that last year was the "year prior to implementation" The permits should be good to go by 2010 if all falls into place.

By my simple understanding of this rule, you will have had to fished for halibut in 2004 or 2005 AND the year prior to implementaion which was 2008. If you have not done these things and you are in this business, you might be looking towards someone who will be getting a transferable permit or you will not be halibut fishing next year.

I will post the announcment when if shows up in the Federal Register.
    I also thought that there was talk about each permit would be issued with a limit on trips, figured by the highest number of trips you took in 2004 or 2005, then that permit holder is locked into that number of trips forever.

Comment

There was a minimum number of trips to qualify for a permit - Maybe 5 trips a year for the qualifying period for a non transferable permit and 20 trips per year for a transferable (sellable) permit.
      I would think that once this goes through, the State will me motivated to do something to prevent other species besides halibut from being over harvested by displaced halibut guides. time will tell...
      www.graylightalaska.com
      (800)566-3912

Comment

There was a minimum number of trips to qualify for a permit - Maybe 5 trips a year for the qualifying period for a non transferable permit and 20 trips per year for a transferable (sellable) permit.
        I would think that once this goes through, the State will me motivated to do something to prevent other species besides halibut from being over harvested by displaced halibut guides. time will tell...

Does this reward the lodge owners who got us into the problem in the first place? Or are the permits given to the actual captains of the boats?
        Alaska Wide Open Charters
        www.alaskawideopen.com
        907-965-0130

Comment

blame?

Permits go to the business owners. The same people who bought and owned the boats ( in most cases). Giving permits to paid skippers was not really well recieved at the Council level. I think everyone who expanded their charter businesses during a time when there was obviously a problem with over capitaliztion shares the blame for the problem (including me)
          www.graylightalaska.com
          (800)566-3912

Comment

Permits go to the business owners. The same people who bought and owned the boats ( in most cases). Giving permits to paid skippers was not really well recieved at the Council level. I think everyone who expanded their charter businesses during a time when there was obviously a problem with over capitaliztion shares the blame for the problem (including me)

It might be a little different in SE than it is up by you. We have some 10 - 30 boat operations that popped up. They are often owned by one guy, who obviously makes the majority of the money. The day skippers usually make $200 a day plus tips for a 14 hour day. Some make a monthly salary. Subtract taxes from that, and it's not really much money considering the licensing involved in being a capt.

I personally think it would have been great to give the "guide" permits to the actual guides. Those greedy 10-30 boat lodge owners would then have to pay their captains a better wage to keep them and treat them right too. Just my opinion.
            www.alaskawideopen.com
            907-965-0130

Comment

wow

Most commercial operations pay a percentage of the gross boat receipts to the crew. Seems like these charter operations are basically sweatshops.

Comment

Pay

In Valdez most of the skippers make around $300 aday plus tips. Average charter is $1500 fuel cost $600 booking fee $150 bait $40 other gear $30 insurance $100 based on 50 charters. total expenses $920 not including the Captains wages The Captains that do not own boats do so because they do not want the hassel of paying and maintaining the boat.

Comment

Federal Register

Proposal is now in the Federal Register & open for public comment through June 5th. See 74 Fed Reg 18178. Available at http://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/prules/74fr18178.pdf

Comment

I'm curious how the logbooks can be interpreted as "fact" for these lodges? If in 04 and 05 the lodge owners fudged the log books to make it seem like they ran more charters than they actually did? How can they prove the boats actually left the dock, other than what THEY put on the log books. I recall back in those years working for a lodge and the owner was registering his buddies sport boats to "protect himself" as he put it.

This entire thing is a scam in my opinion. You South Central boyz might do it legit, but in SE where most of the problems are, lots of shady charter operators exist. It boils my blood thinking about all those out of state fly by night charter nazi's in Sitka getting permits!
                    www.alaskawideopen.com
                    907-965-0130

Comment

Thanks for that link, aklefty.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dipper View Post
                        Most commercial operations pay a percentage of the gross boat receipts to the crew. Seems like these charter operations are basically sweatshops.

I worked for an operation for a few years as a captain when I was first starting out where the out of state lodge owner would pay his help (fish cutters, maids, cooks) 1k a month, plus tips. He'd work them 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. He'd find unsuspecting college kids from down south who loved the outdoors and expect them to quit after a season.

Are these the people we want to give 'forever' rights to the industry?
                        www.alaskawideopen.com
                        907-965-0130

Comment

The only way to check them is to see what they paid taxes on. If they logged sport craft as being "guided" then I bet they did not pay taxes on the revenue that they should have earned from those trips. Tax records are usually the best records.

Originally posted by 270ti View Post
                          I'm curious how the logbooks can be interpreted as "fact" for these lodges? If in 04 and 05 the lodge owners fudged the log books to make it seem like they ran more charters than they actually did? How can they prove the boats actually left the dock, other than what THEY put on the log books. I recall back in those years working for a lodge and the owner was registering his buddies sport boats to "protect himself" as he put it.

This entire thing is a scam in my opinion. You South Central boyz might do it legit, but in SE where most of the problems are, lots of shady charter operators exist. It boils my blood thinking about all those out of state fly by night charter nazi's in Sitka getting permits!
                          It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by captaindd View Post
                            In Valdez most of the skippers make around $300 aday plus tips. Average charter is $1500 fuel cost $600 booking fee $150 bait $40 other gear $30 insurance $100 based on 50 charters. total expenses $920 not including the Captains wages The Captains that do not own boats do so because they do not want the hassel of paying and maintaining the boat.
                            I dont understand your numbers. I am know nothing about your costs but have run business my whole life and your numbers dont add up. Whats a booking fee of 600.00? the expenses listed dont make it 920.00 for a one day trip. Help me out here. Like i said i know nothign about your busines. Just trying to understand. Thanks!

Comment

I think that he is saying a booking fee is $150 on a average number of trips per season. The $600 is the fuel cost estimate that he giving over the same amount of trips.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X