No announcement yet.

PWS Shrimping is in trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I looked up the proposal (#135) to prohibit powered pot pullers. That was a proposal specific to southeast AK, not PWS. It was considered at last month's BOF meeting in Petersburg and it did not pass.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Comment

Pot Pullers Outlawed

After reviewing the proposal a little closer I would be suprised if they even come close to banning the automated pullers - That being said I still don't think the F&G can/will properly manage a commercial fishery in this area.
      How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Comment

PWS Shrimp

Another Spotted Shrimp Report/Stats dated Dec 2008 for PWS. Shows the increase in Non-commercial Shrimp Pot take since the COMFish Closure in 1992. 2007's Non-commercial take of 54,872 lbs is just 19% of COMFish's peak 1986 take of 286,105 lbs, but it's 317% of COMFish's 1991 take of 17,302 lbs, when the fishery was closed. Just more justification for NOT re-establishing a COMFish Shrimp Pot fishery in PWS.

Comment

Originally posted by captaindd View Post
          Another Spotted Shrimp Report/Stats dated Dec 2008 for PWS. Shows the increase in Non-commercial Shrimp Pot take since the COMFish Closure in 1992. 2007's Non-commercial take of 54,872 lbs is just 19% of COMFish's peak 1986 take of 286,105 lbs, but it's 317% of COMFish's 1991 take of 17,302 lbs, when the fishery was closed. Just more justification for NOT re-establishing a COMFish Shrimp Pot fishery in PWS.
          How did they come up with the numbers for 2007? They got rid of the permits a few years back so now F&G has no idea of how many bugs are being caught by the rec fishery :confused:
          Maybe the BOF should look at how many MORE rec pots are fishing now and set a harvest limit from the amount of rec pots that were being used when they closed the fishery down years ago?? I would bet there are at least 10 times more rec pots fishing now but i never hear of anyone worrying about the rec fishery catching too many shrimp. Maybe they should bring the permit system back so they know how many boats will be fishing and adjust the amount of pots and season accordingly. Let make it like Hood Canal and have a shrimp season measured in days :eek: not months and a bag limit of say 200 shrimp a day(like I think it is in Hood Canal). Bet that would get a lot of attention at the BOF meetings !!!
          sigpic
          Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
          Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
          Ropes, Buoys, Bait
          alaskashrimppots.com
          akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
          907 775 1692

Comment

Permits Come Back

I agree that the shrimp permit system should come back. Without that they have no idea on who is catching what or where. I went to a seminar at the Sportsman Show a couple years ago about shrimping and the regional biologist said then that the sport fishery was expanding at a higher rate every year. Then the followed it up by saying oh by the way we are eliminating the permits.
            Everyone is looking at one another and saying - gee isn't that the one thing that would let you know how much expansion is really happening in the sport catch? Even a nominal fee to support the program wouldn't be that bad.
            How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Comment

Originally posted by akfishnut View Post
              I agree that the shrimp permit system should come back. Without that they have no idea on who is catching what or where. I went to a seminar at the Sportsman Show a couple years ago about shrimping and the regional biologist said then that the sport fishery was expanding at a higher rate every year. Then the followed it up by saying oh by the way we are eliminating the permits.
              Everyone is looking at one another and saying - gee isn't that the one thing that would let you know how much expansion is really happening in the sport catch? Even a nominal fee to support the program wouldn't be that bad.
              DON'T EVER SAY FEE !!! the old permit system was fine, just a simple few questions to get a idea of what is being caught. Another thing i'd like to see is the season opened a bit earlier and closed bit bit sooner, why you ask?? well did you ever notice how many more eggers you catch later in the season? let them spawn out so this nice fishery we have keeps going.
              sigpic
              Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
              Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
              Ropes, Buoys, Bait
              alaskashrimppots.com
              akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
              907 775 1692

Comment

Since 2006, the non-commercial harvest is estimated using the Statewide Harvest Survey adjusted by the average proportional difference between the SWHS estimates and the noncommercial harvest estimates from the permit data that was gathered between 2003-2005.

Although estimates generated from the SWHS are not very timely (usually not finalized until August of the following year), the data is good enough to manage this fishery based upon its current structure and abundance of the stock. If the existing fishery were to change, that may no longer be the case.

Remember that the SWHS data does not include harvests that are reported as subsistence. Also keep in mind that all Alaska residents qualify as state subsistence users, so if a limit was placed on the sport and pu user in PWS you would only effect probably less than 10% of the harvest that takes place by nonresidents.

I believe it would take legislative action to enact a new fee.

Attached is a link to an oral presentation that was given at the PWS board of fish meeting:
                http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/genin...0309BOFppt.pdf

Comment

Catch logs needed

If I had to guess - the reason F&G done away with the permit catch logs was they didn't have the people or the time to compile the data in a timely manner. A small fee for the shrimp permit could possibly give them the resources to get this data collected and recorded in a decent amount of time. Five or six bucks for the right to collect shrimp wouldn't be that bad. After all anyone that's fully outfitted with five pots for catching shrimp already has several hundred dollars tied up.

Comment

We have to buy a king salmon stamp to harvest kings.....would a stamp work for Shrimp as well??

Comment

Correct

Originally posted by akfishnut View Post
                      If I had to guess - the reason F&G done away with the permit catch logs was they didn't have the people or the time to compile the data in a timely manner.
                      That is correct as I asked the biologist in charge and got that answer. Too much paperwork, too much time, not enough people. I used to turn in 2-3 pages a year when we had too.

Someone produced a chart of PWS a couple of years ago showing the Hot Spots. Well it was not that accurate. In certain areas you can only shrimp on the underground structure. So with 3-4 people hitting the same spot, it looked like one really Hot Spot. Wasn't so, just more people in that one area.
                      Last edited by Daveinthebush; 03-06-2009, 15:17.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
                        so i'm thinking its going to be a rag tag fleet with maybe some rich retired guys doing it to play commercial fisherman and get a write off for their boats.
                        That is the worst possible situation, for us personal use guys. If it is going to be fished commercially, it must be done responsibly.
                        My Facebook My YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                          Writing a law that is not enforceable is a waste of time even in the troopers minds.
                          That's what the Government is really good at.
                          My Facebook My YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
                            DON'T EVER SAY FEE !!! the old permit system was fine, just a simple few questions to get a idea of what is being caught. Another thing i'd like to see is the season opened a bit earlier and closed bit bit sooner, why you ask?? well did you ever notice how many more eggers you catch later in the season? let them spawn out so this nice fishery we have keeps going.
                            Have to agree 100% with closing the season earlier due to the amount of eggers brought up later in the season. If they show signs of life I throw throw them back but still feel bad about catching a female with eggs. As far as opening the season earlier as a tradeoff - great idea!! Would make the winter downtime a little shorter. Who doesn't want to be out in PWS ASAP ?

Comment

How is catching a female without eggs in the summer different than catching a female with eggs in the fall? That female caught in the summer would be an egger in a few months, so the effect is the same - you're still killing an egg producing shrimp. It may look different when they're full of eggs, but there is no biological difference to the health of the resource when that female is caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                                How is catching a female without eggs in the summer different than catching a female with eggs in the fall? That female caught in the summer would be an egger in a few months, so the effect is the same - you're still killing an egg producing shrimp. It may look different when they're full of eggs, but there is no biological difference to the health of the resource when that female is caught.
                                I don't know the answer to that question Brian. But how about this;

When I catch a shrimp without eggs during the summer, I really don't know if that shrimp is going to produce eggs that fall so I keep her unknown to me if she will produce eggs in the fall.
                                When I catch a shrimp in the fall and she is full of eggs, I now know she is producing eggs and I let her go when she's still alive and there's a chance that those eggs will survive to populate the species. I realize that earlier in the season no one would know but what about later in the season when the evidence is obvious if the egg laden females are still alive??

Dave

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X