Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deshka Closed to Fishing

If this was already posted sorry.

-KS-2-12-08 06/19/08 Northern Cook Inlet The Deshka River king salmon fishery will close beginning 11:00 p.m., Friday, June 20, through the remainder of the king salmon sport fishing season. Contactave Rutz
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

'bout time...

Painful as it may seem for some, it's just the right thing to do.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    sigpic
    The KeenEye MD

Comment

so i think i can expect the Little Su to be a Big Circus this weekend. loads of people lots of boat traffic (poor little river gonna get beat up). what do the guides do now? i know they spend their winter booking trips. will they go looking north?
      i know its the right thing to do,...bummer
      www.alaskahydrographics.com

Comment

The Little Su needs to either be restricted or shut down also. Everyone with a boat is going to head there and it can't take the pressure. Numbers have not been great there yet either. I was headed there for the weekend but will look at doing something else now. I'm just hope it's enought to save the run on the Deshka for years to come. I hope they start keeping track of the number coming out of the Willow, Sheep, Kashwitna, Montana etc... If they are low I want them shut down also. I'd rather take the pain now and know we can fish ten years from now. Time to go kill some pike.

Comment

Bummer...

As bad as it may sound they need to shut down several of the Susitna tributaries. Most of them are haveing very low numbers this year and with them closing the Deshka down, the guides and everyone else that usually fishes it, will hit the next closest rivers and we'll se the same thing in them. Sure is a BUMMER...

Comment

Has anyone heard if they are planning on restricting the Little Su to weekends only as previously rumored??

Comment

Deshka Closure

Does that mean you can't fish for kings, or you can't fish at all:confused::confused:
              I like to fish for pike in some of the sloughs up on the deshka, I hope this doesn't affect that.

Comment

will they cut back the commercial fishery, or is this just the sport fisherman giving up fishing for the year?

Comment

From what I understand it will stop all commercial fishing in the upper Cook Inlet. Probably too little too late for both commercial and sport fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by chucktruck View Post
                    Does that mean you can't fish for kings, or you can't fish at all:confused::confused:
                    I like to fish for pike in some of the sloughs up on the deshka, I hope this doesn't affect that.
                    the closure shouldn't affect your pike fishing....BUT F&G is gill netting the living crap out of those sloughs....not a whole lot left in there....I hate to see it but I guess that too is for the best...:mad:
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    pull my finger....

Comment

Silvers

Originally posted by gconk View Post
                      From what I understand it will stop all commercial fishing in the upper Cook Inlet. Probably too little too late for both commercial and sport fishing.
                      Will that make for a hot year for silvers?
                      Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Comment

Best thing that could of been done at least for now. I'd rather have good fishing in the coming years than poor fishing from now on.

So why was it put to 2 per day last year so early? I mean the counts were barley starting and they went to 2 a day. And didn't last years run end up below average in the end?

Comment

Whittier

Well it looks like it will be Whittier this weekend... SHRIMP!!!!!!

Comment

Crap

The best thing they coulda done?? What sport fishermen take nothing compared to comm fish, so shut down the sportfishing and give comm fish more openings?? That sounds right, thats lame.
                            sigpic
                            "I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
                            The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Comment

So if the BEG is not met...or is not even lets say 2/3's of what it is supposed to be, will the Biologists put a limit on the North Cook Inlet Commercial fishery for the next year? Or will they just limit sport fishing?

Not trying to start a fight, but this is the first time I have seen this happen, and just curious. :confused:

Thanks
                              When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X