Covid and Sport and Personal Use Fisheries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid and Sport and Personal Use Fisheries

We as sportsmen and women should be setting the example and not take advantage of these guidelines. Think of your fellow Alaskans, and how you can help them. From ADFG:

There appears to be some confusion regarding an announcement the Department made today regarding sport and personal use fishing. The Department understands the value of these activities to Alaskans and supports Alaskans having the opportunity to get out and fish to feed their families and fill their freezers. Sport and Personal Use fishing in the State of Alaska will remain open, consistent with published regulations during the 2020 season, subject to compliance with State of Alaska Public Health Mandates. Although travel between communities is prohibited under the issued health mandates, the public may still travel to fishing locations. When traveling to participate in sport or personal use fisheries that occur outside of their communities of residence, the public must follow these guidelines:
    1) Conduct your fishing activities as close to your home residence as possible;
    2) Local mandates may be authorized under Public Health Mandate 012. Find out local mandates in communities through which you plan to travel and abide by them;
    3) Totally provision your trip from your community of origin. Don’t plan on buying food, drinks or even fuel (if possible) after you begin your trip and until you return home;
    4) Practice social distancing while sport or personal use fishing; and,
    5) Highly suggest anglers wear face coverings as suggested in Health Alert 010 issued April 3, 2020.
    Adherence to these stipulations will allow Alaskans the opportunity to fish and put food on their tables while taking measures to protect public health and allow time to build needed health infrastructure. Also, subsistence fishing remains open and unrestricted under the issued health mandates. Be safe and considerate of others as you venture out to fish.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/h...emain_open.pdf
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Hu...569653281.html
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

I am in California now and watching the world from a different perspective. It has been interesting. With my immune system compromised I have been hiding in our house or car. No activity outside and my daughter does all of our shopping.

I just do not see how the commercial fishery is going to operate. I also do not see how the personal use fishery is going to happen. Kenai gets 10,000 people funneling through one pay gate (you really want to have a young person exposed like that) and then by regulation they are limited to a small section of beach. They stand side by side. How can that work? The sport fishery is not immune to questiions. How do you have a Russian River fishery or bank fishing at various boardwalks? To keep from violating the separation requirement would take an enforcement officer. So what I see in the State guidelines and no one at the State level wants to lead and do what is right. On the PU fishery it looks like they threw the ball to the City of Kenai and of course the City of Kenai said we will follow the State recommendations. This is a State fishery they need to make the call on some of these high use areas. I loved the idea of not spending money where you go fishing. So thousands come down to Kenai, expose lots of locals, and the State says do not spend any money. So in this recommendation they are saying the local economy does not count - you just have to accept the costs. Typical State responses - no leadership

Comment

In case you haven't heard: https://www.newsmax.com/us/alaska-mi.../25/id/968895/
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Nerka, sorry to hear about your status.

Sunshine and fresh air are powerful anti-virus. Summer fishing should be fine. The travel restrictions and cruise cancellations will limit crowding somewhat.

Best wishes.

Comment

Nerka - Nice to hear from you. Hope all is going well with you since you've relocated. Best of luck in CA!

The commercial fisheries in the PNW have been operating as normal, while the recreational fisheries have been shut down. The sport fisheries is now open but it was shut down during the normal peak of the spring Chinook run (April). The Tribal fisheries have continued but the Tribes have been hit hard by COVID. The history of the Tribes and various pandemics over the past 200+ years has been catastrophically tragic, so they're not taking any chances.

Seems like the ESSNetters and the drift fleet in UCI should be okay, if they keep the number of crew members down to 3-4. Conversely, the recreational and PU fisheries are likely a major COVID risk, and perhaps should not be implemented.

Comment

Nerka, clean out your inbox...I'm trying to send you a PM.
              "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Comment

Nothing of what they recommend is actually a law, do what is best for you.

This year I've seen more disrespectful and rude people on the beaches than ever before, I dont know where thay're coming from but they have no respect for others around them

Comment

The lock downs and social distancing is over. Get out and enjoy summer. This is the Black Plague that wasn't. Go play and enjoy the outdoors WITHOUT TOURISTS!!

Comment

I originally posted this two and a half months ago, or there abouts. Any takers now?
                    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X