Dipnetting cutbacks AGAIN!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dipnetting cutbacks AGAIN!!!

Hey Guys, If you value your dipnetting and believe the average Alaskan should take priority, before commercial fishers, please contact me at Federico@ptialaska.net. Come February, the BOf is considering cutbacks to our annual catch limits, From 25 to 15. If you can give three minutes come Feb., 2nd, it will only help our access to the resource. Cell- 715-8363. Stand up for your rights... Thanks. Ken
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip? ALASKADIPNETTING.NET

Originally posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Hey Guys, If you value your dipnetting and believe the average Alaskan should take priority, before commercial fishers,
    Because commercial fishermen aren't average Alaskans? :confused:

Comment

During the oil spill I had a commercial fisherman bend my ear for an hour and a half about his money woes. He was going to have to sell one of his three houses, one of his two $100,000+ motorhomes and at least two of his four trucks. All because he was going to run out of money in seven months as his monthly 'nut' was $40,000.

Average? I was living in my truck.
      I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Comment

Do you have anymore info about this? Is it the copper or kenai?

Comment

Kenai/Kasilof proposals to the Board of fish.

In February, the BOF meets in Anchorage to make decisions for upper cook inlet, for the next couple of years. There are about six proposals to cut back the family limit from 25 to 15. There are also proposals to do away with the windows, Those are the 36 hours each week that the commercials can't fish, to allow fish to enter the Kenai and Kasilof. The Commercials are saying, when the fish are here, we want to be able to fish 7 days a week. If we don't get enough people to give three minutes of their time, to testify before the BOF, telling the Board to leave our fish alone, we will probably be cut back. You have to remember that the Commercial guys don't have to work in the winter and can show up to testify for themselves. Please pass this on to all who dipnet. I started the South-central Alaska dipnetters association last year because they wanted to cut back dipnetters to only three fish a day.Dipnetters need to stand up for their fair share of the resource. I can be reached at 715-8363 or Federico@ptialaska.net. Thanks for your interest.
          If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip? ALASKADIPNETTING.NET

Comment

Great. Another allocation grab.

Could you please link us to these proposals and show us where the evil greedy comfishers have decided that they must have a portion of your fish to continue their evil greedy quest for filthy lucre?

Thanks in advance.

Killin' it!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
              Originally Posted by thewhop2000
              Hey Guys, If you value your dipnetting and believe the average Alaskan should take priority, before commercial fishers,
              Because commercial fishermen aren't average Alaskans? :confused:
              Ummmmm, actually, that's correct since a percentage of commercial fishing permits are held by non-residents, and dipnetters (by regulation) must be Alaskan residents.

Comment

spin

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                Ummmmm, actually, that's correct since a percentage of commercial fishing permits are held by non-residents, and dipnetters (by regulation) must be Alaskan residents.

What has happened to consistency in commercial/resident/nonresident/fish/game considerations?

Comment

Please, Mark. The post I was referring to didn't say that average Alaskans should have priority over some commercial fishermen, but over commercial fishermen period. He was clearly suggesting that they are not, in fact, average Alaskans. Your post points out that "a percentage" of permits are held by non-residents. True. So...therefore those that are Alaskans should be somehow punished because some permits are held by non-residents? Yeesh... :rolleyes:

As for the "rich commercial fishermen" remarks in another post above, I can most certainly assure you that is not the case 99% of the time. I have known more commercial fishermen that have gone bankrupt chasing the dream of a life at sea than have found financial security, much less wealth.

The vast majority of UCI salmon fishermen most certainly are average Alaskans. If you want to advocate for dipnetters, please do so. (Heck, I dipnet every summer myself.) Please, though, do not try to paint a false picture of average Alaskans vs. evil outside wealthy commercial fishermen who seek to plunder our resources so they can buy a 4th RV.

Comment

Originally posted by AVALANCHE View Post
                    Originally Posted by Mark
                    What has happened to consistency in commercial/resident/nonresident/fish/game considerations?
                    The only consistency in fish and game law/reg in Alaska was the golden rule; he with the gold makes the rules.........

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                      Originally Posted by thewhop2000
                      Because commercial fishermen aren't average Alaskans?
                      Please, Mark. The post I was referring to didn't say that average Alaskans should have priority over some commercial fishermen, but over commercial fishermen period. He was clearly suggesting that they are not, in fact, average Alaskans....
                      I was answering your question, and I believe I did so accurately.

....Your post points out that "a percentage" of permits are held by non-residents. True. So...therefore those that are Alaskans should be somehow punished because some permits are held by non-residents? Yeesh... :rolleyes:
                      No, not necessarily.

I'd be quite happy if non-resident commercial fishermen were prioritized lower than resident commercial fishermen in the Copper River commercial fleet.

Just for the record:

2006 grand total of commercial fishing vessels: 9755
                      2006 commercial fishing vessels, Alaska resident: 7203 (74&#37
                      2006 commercial fishing vessels, California resident: 168 (2%)
                      2006 commercial fishing vessels, Oregon resident: 268 (3%)
                      2006 commercial fishing vessels, Washington resident: 1809 (19%)
                      2006 commercial fishing vessels, Other resident: 307 (3%)

....The vast majority of UCI salmon fishermen most certainly are average Alaskans.......
                      I agree. There's a substantial shore-based set-net fishery in UCI who are primarily Alaskan residents. "Only" 17% of Cook Inlet set net permits are held by non-residents.

Comment

$$$ vs The little guy

Brian
                        I do believe that commercial enterprises with their sights clearly on the almighty dollar will move to cut the little man out. You can clearly see it when the National Fisheries management wanting to limit the private take on halibut when the by-catch from the commercial operation is 5-10 times the private take. It is not about residency, it is about commercial entities taking actions that will severely impact, or impede completely our access to the fishery.
                        Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Toddler View Post
                          Brian
                          I do believe that commercial enterprises with their sights clearly on the almighty dollar will move to cut the little man out. You can clearly see it when the National Fisheries management wanting to limit the private take on halibut when the by-catch from the commercial operation is 5-10 times the private take. It is not about residency, it is about commercial entities taking actions that will severely impact, or impede completely our access to the fishery.
                          Do you mean this in a general, "Commercial fishers catch all my fish and it's not fair" sense?

Or do you refer to some specific proposal whereby commercial fishermen are attempting to grab a portion of the personal use allocation on the Kenai from it's rightful holders?

If you mean something specific, please show us.

Thank you.

Killin' it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ishmael View Post
                            Do you mean this in a general, "Commercial fishers catch all my fish and it's not fair" sense?

Or do you refer to some specific proposal whereby commercial fishermen are attempting to grab a portion of the personal use allocation on the Kenai from it's rightful holders?

If you mean something specific, please show us.....
                            May I?

The commercial fishing industry makes up a statewide average of 95% of the total salmon harvest. I can provide links to support that claim.

The taxes paid on this largess is insignificant, to say the least:

....Fisheries Business Tax
                            The fisheries business tax is levied on businesses that process or export fisheries resources from Alaska. Although the tax usually is levied on the act of processing, the tax is often referred to as a “raw fish tax” because it is based on the value of the raw fishery resource. Tax rates vary from 1% to 5%, depending on whether a fishery resource is classified as “established”
                            or “developing,” and whether it was processed by an on-shore or floating
                            processor.....
                            One to five percent. This after recently pounding the oil and gas industry at 25%.

And few Alaskan residents are interested or capable of harvesting and processing their own oil and gas.

Many Alaskan residents are very interested in harvesting and processing their own salmon in order to put food on the table. But in order to do so they must fight the political fish wars, which have been ongoing for decades........even before statehood, and even involving foreign nations.

I need the commercal fishing industry like I need a nuclear detonation in my watch pocket. Of course, I'm not employed in the industry, nor is my local government involved. In fact, my locality (Mat-Su) gets screwed royally in the fish wars.

So that's my perspective; from the outside looking at.

But, it could be worse. Look here for any tax on commercial hunting (guiding).

Good luck..........

Comment

The list is growing

But, it could be worse. Look here for any tax on commercial hunting (guiding).

Good luck..........
                              Thank you Mark; I missed that one.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X