Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenai River guides numbers set record high. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenai River guides numbers set record high. . .

"The Kenai River S[pecial] M[anagement] A[rea] has an official total of 439 guides this summer (400 fishing) - an all-time high!"

Jeanette Wilkinson
    Administrative Assistant
    Director's Office
    DNR-Parks & Outdoor Recreation
    Ph: 269-8700
    Fax: 269-8907

What is your point Marcus?

Comment

You first. . .

Originally posted by yukon View Post
      What is your point Marcus?

You first . . . answer the question I asked you some days ago:

Do you support a continuance of Cook Inlet's gill-net industry or would you too like to see it gone? . .

Comment

I support it, I would just like to see more time between EO's.

Comment

Hmm......

Originally posted by Marcus View Post

"The Kenai River S[pecial] M[anagement] A[rea] has an official total of 439 guides this summer (400 fishing) - an all-time high!"

400 fishing guides (part of which are Trout and Sockeye guides.) using a single hook on each of up to 4 rods. -VS- 334 Cook inlet gill net permit holders each deploying several hundred feet of net.. Hmmm.....

Comment

Fair enough. . .

I support it, I would just like to see more time between EO's.
            And here's my answer:

First of all, I didn't make the observation about record Kenai River guide numbers, DNR did, and I have no idea what their point was.

I posted DNR's observation, copied from their August newsletter, simply to pass on information, letting readers form any opinion they wish.

My point was to pass on objective information.

Thanks. . .

Comment

You kill me Marcus! Really.......becuase you really must think we are as dumb as a block of wood. Do you really think you are fooling anyone? Wow!

Comment

Also, seems when doc posts similar information, just information, you accuse him of dividing the community and posting it just to inflame people. Man, I can't believe your double standards. I must have "Stupid" written accross my face. I bet I do, I should go look in the mirror right now.........
                Wow, didn't find a mirror but met a dim-witted individual that looks a lot like me, I tried to shake his had but there seemed to be a peice of glass inbetween us.

Comment

Okay, I have calmed down a little, very little, I will play your game.

Do you think there are too many guides?

Simple answer, yes or no
                  Then I will follow up.

Comment

Guides are not the problem. . .

Okay, I have calmed down a little, very little, I will play your game.

Do you think there are too many guides?

Simple answer, yes or no
                    Then I will follow up.
                    A yes or no answer doesn't fit because I have never been and am not now in favor of limiting guide numbers. . .

I am in favor of limiting resident/nonresident, methods, means, times, and other options, letting the marketplace dictate the number of guides.

Guides are not the problem. The problem is "opportunity."

Comment

You kill me Marcus! Really.......becuase you really must think we are as dumb as a block of wood. Do you really think you are fooling anyone? Wow!
                      Yukon, if I pose a question to you in this thread, will you answer it?

I haven't had a comemrcial fisherman spoil a trip on the Kenai River for me yet. Sure, I've fished some days when it's been slow because the nets are out, but that's an accepted part of the process. If I want bumper-to-bumper traffic, I can either move to Chicago or fish the Kenai in July. There have certainly been a fair number of days when the guides have made it less than desirable.

Comment

Limiting "opportunity," not guides. . .

Consider how limiting nonresidents to taking 50 lbs. of fish per head-of-household out of state with additional family members limited to 10 lbs. of fish taken out of state. . . :eek:

That's just one example—and one that needs to be explored—of limiting opportunity. Others abound. Guide numbers would adjust because guides are nothing more than a free-market response to "opportunity."

Guides aren't the problem. . . opportunity is the problem. . .

Comment

Danny Boy ask away, Honestly sorry I didn't answer your last set, keep it simple for me, only a question or two per post, otherwise I get confused! LOL

To your crowded July situation. Depends on when and where you fish, there are plenty of times in the peak of July where the lower river is not crowded. One day on a July Friday afternoon I was going in around 3:00 and counted 8 boats between Beaver Creek and the actual Eagle Rock, granted same stretch at 7:00am is a little different. Heck many days I started at the Sonar Counter at 6:00am and there were 3 or 4 boats. I don't consider either of those situations crowded.

Honestly, I have more trouble with non-guides than I do guides. The guys going dipnetting sometimes are very dangerous, obviously not familiar with the travel lanes, they almost hit some guys just backtrolling. The non-guides that you see fishing day in and day out are awesome and great fishermen.

Comment

Marcus, as far as your answer I don't know what to do because you say that all the time but never come up with any concrete solutions so until I see an actual plan I won't comment further, thanks.

Dannyboy, ask away.

Comment

Whew!

Thank God for you clarifying that non-guide thing Yukon. I was about to get offended!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X