Bristol Bay Hospital Impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristol Bay Hospital Impact

As Bristol Bay gears up for the commercial fishing season the hospital in Dillingham has some serious concerns.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/rura...ndle-them-all/

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

I feel bad for rural remote AK communities. If someone gets ICU-caliber sick in Dillingham, would there be resources to air-evac them to Anchorage?

They really can't risk importing the virus from outside at this point.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    sigpic
    The KeenEye MD

Comment

There is a medivac service that transports people. Last time I was flow over from Valdez it was $15,000 for the flight 10 2012. Plus another ambulance fee from the airport to the hospital. It is not cheap.....!

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

But pilot and med support staff would all need haz-mat suits and respirators. Decontamination of plane for the return. Taking a ventilator away from Dillingham hospital the whole time til the plane returns. The logistics alone would be a nightmare.

Best defense is preventative. Lock the place down for the safety of year-round residents
        "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
        sigpic
        The KeenEye MD

Comment

If I had my choices of places to be when sick Bristol Bay would rank pretty close to any third world country and most countries with government run healthcare.
          I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by fishNphysician View Post
            Taking a ventilator away from Dillingham hospital the whole time til the plane returns.
            The plane has everything like ventilators on it. The are pretty much a mini-hospital.

I have been to 15-18 different bush villages. This virus would devastate them.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

So the med-evac plane would be dispatched from Anchorage?
              sigpic
              The KeenEye MD

Comment

Only place i know except maybe Fairbanks and Juneau.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

I work on the slope and the first thing I do every January is up my "Guardian Flight insurance". Living and travelling in this state for over 40 years I have learned to take nothing for granted. It's pretty cheap for a household and you are covered in a lot of other states too.
                  I have seen others flown out of the bush by medical evacuation teams and it can run over $40,000 bucks nowadays. It will certainly be interesting on how this season develops, to say the least
                  If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip? ALASKADIPNETTING.NET

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                    As Bristol Bay gears up for the commercial fishing season the hospital in Dillingham has some serious concerns.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/rura...ndle-them-all/

Well, it looks like there may not be a Season in Bristol-Bay, Dillingham afterall,,,,, ie... NO Flights, Penn-Air and the RAVN Groupe have Parked all of their Planes,,,, ie... NO Flights to anywhere in Alaska, see attached.
                    TG:topjob:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Captur.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	2502182
                    Last edited by The German; 04-05-2020, 15:27. Reason: attachment
                    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ] :topjob:

Comment

Originally posted by The German View Post
                      Well, it looks like there may not be a Season in Bristol-Bay, Dillingham afterall,,,,, ie... NO Flights, Penn-Air and the RAVN Groupe have Parked all of their Planes,,,, ie... NO Flights to anywhere in Alaska, see attached.
                      TG:topjob:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98817[/ATTACH]
                      I saw last week Raven suspended most flight. Some were kept operating because of need. Valdez "was" spared because we have shift workers at the oil terminal. This is interesting.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

I do a lot of traveling and I buy a global rescue policy once per year. It is cheap insurance if I get sick in say Argentina and have to be flown back to Anchorage. I think it covers anything more that 50 miles from home.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                          This virus would devastate them.
                          It already happened. 1918.

https://www.peninsulaclarion.com/new...tive-villages/

"Per capita, more people died in Alaska of the Spanish flu than anywhere else in the world other than Samoa."

Comment

Well the first load of cannery workers arrived in Valdez. Many from the Philippines. Going to be interesting.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Cohoangler View Post
                              It already happened. 1918.

https://www.peninsulaclarion.com/new...tive-villages/

"Per capita, more people died in Alaska of the Spanish flu than anywhere else in the world other than Samoa."
                              The Russians did not help either.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X