Cook Inlet Chinook collapse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kidfromgarcia View Post
    It is no secret There are climate predictions that show by the year 2060 or something most streams in the Matanuska Susitna Valleys will have changed to much to have salmon. I got this information from a friend who works at UAA who attends a salmon meeting in the valley wasilla I think? every year. The meeting is getting larger attended by salmon experts from different places and I think is in the spring? Anyway back to the point, the returns for each spawner is never coming back to stable levels it was like years ago according to the people in the know so there will be less fish on average and many less in the decades ahead. His opinion is all the arguing about regulations and fishing or who is catching all is a pointless activity. My friend said that the state can’t solve the problem and neither can people doing the fishing. Stocking is probably going to be the wave of the future until stocked salmon can’t survive. I mean Salmon fishing is better in Washington and Oregon than up in the valley and the reason is because of stocking.
    So stocked fish will survive in Alaska as long as we pay these people to tell us they will, and give them a job stocking and studying these fish, all the while climate changes kills all other salmon in Alaska even while natural salmon are returning to rivers in California? Seems like there isn't much science involved in whatever climate predictions or your whatever it is your buddies at UAA are saying. There are more salmon today than there were 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 years ago. Global warming is helping salmon numbers grow year in and year out. Certainly there are areas with the typically up and down, but as a whole the salmon numbers are way, way up decade after decade in Alaska and worldwide to boot.

Hatcheries, especially those in Alaska are doing their part in making salmon numbers grow, but they are growing the number of the least of our salmon, not the best of our salmon. We need less hatcheries not more, or at the very least less humpy hatcheries. There is more and more scientific evidence that the massive amount of hatchery humpies dumped into our waters year in and year out is destroying our more valuable salmon harvest. Why are we growing the least valuable, least tasteful, and least quality salmon when we could support and grow better tasting species...Alaskan hatcheries are using the Walmart approach when they should be using the Whole Food's approach. Quality over quantity.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post
      So stocked fish will survive in Alaska as long as we pay these people to tell us they will, and give them a job stocking and studying these fish, all the while climate changes kills all other salmon in Alaska even while natural salmon are returning to rivers in California? Seems like there isn't much science involved in whatever climate predictions or your whatever it is your buddies at UAA are saying. There are more salmon today than there were 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 years ago. Global warming is helping salmon numbers grow year in and year out. Certainly there are areas with the typically up and down, but as a whole the salmon numbers are way, way up decade after decade in Alaska and worldwide to boot.

Hatcheries, especially those in Alaska are doing their part in making salmon numbers grow, but they are growing the number of the least of our salmon, not the best of our salmon. We need less hatcheries not more, or at the very least less humpy hatcheries. There is more and more scientific evidence that the massive amount of hatchery humpies dumped into our waters year in and year out is destroying our more valuable salmon harvest. Why are we growing the least valuable, least tasteful, and least quality salmon when we could support and grow better tasting species...Alaskan hatcheries are using the Walmart approach when they should be using the Whole Food's approach. Quality over quantity.
      did I say stock humpy in my post? I wouldn’t study I would just stock. The point is not that global warming is bad for all Salmon it is no secret that it will be too warm and not enough water for them to be produced naturally in the numbers they once were in the matanuska Susitna valleys. That is the point of hatchery to make up for what nature can’t do to support mankind. I would start now for future stocking instead of spending money on salmon studies and changing the regulations. I believe government is to big and believe in climate change global warming. Hopefully someone pulls head out of arse and gets it done. BTW the salmon fishing in Washington and Oregon is better than the valley and it is pretty much because of hatcheries and fact the environment there is no longer able to support them in the numbers they once had. Sound familiar?? Done! stop the studies stock fish.

Comment

I agree they might be enhancing the wrong species of salmon. I remember the days (1980's) when a guy could hook and release 30 Kings on the Kasilof before work in the morning. Kings were bouncing into my legs while I was fishing. Yeah, I'd sure rather catch those over pinks.
        Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
        Working...
        X