Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Size and Age of Chinook salmon decreasing across its range.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size and Age of Chinook salmon decreasing across its range.

Originally posted by cod View Post
    Yeah, like how could taking a 4,5, and 6 year fish each and every year for decades out of a river system POSSIBLY affect the population of large chinook salmon in the system, huh??
    Well obviously, but that doesnít change the fact that saltwater plays a significant role too. The rivers in SEAK, where there hasnít been targeted freshwater fishing for Chinook in decades, are experiencing similar decreases in size and age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by johnnycake View Post
      Guys, I'll go ahead and volunteer to be the one to do the right thing here. My only question is whether I should use my 45-70 or need to buy a new gun for the orca hunt? Or maybe a bowfishing setup? What draw weight and line do you think would be best?
      Sounds like a good excuse for a new gun and new bow set-up, let us know what you decide

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
        I have an 1886 Winchester in .45-70 that was used to hunt Beluga whales. It is in amazing condition since it was used while hunting whales in local rivers rather than out on the salt water. I also have a Remington 722 that was used in PWS to hunt seals and sea otters. It isn't in as good condition as the 86.
        Would love to see pics of those Ross.

Comment

Originally posted by sayak View Post
          Would love to see pics of those Ross.
          I have posted pics of the 722 in the past, but can't remember if it was on this site.
          Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Blatchfords were the ones using the 86 on Beluga whales. Percy and his son Joel. In the Susitna River mouth. 1970's.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
              Blatchfords were the ones using the 86 on Beluga whales. Percy and his son Joel. In the Susitna River mouth. 1970's.
              Very cool! The Blatchfords were the real deal. I never met the famous Percy, but I have met Joel.
              I'm not sure what Brooks and Reardon were using to dispatch belugas out in Bristol Bay, but I think it was an .06. My brothers-in-law used an old M94 in 25.35.

Comment

Originally posted by sayak View Post
                Very cool! The Blatchfords were the real deal. I never met the famous Percy, but I have met Joel.
                I'm not sure what Brooks and Reardon were using to dispatch belugas out in Bristol Bay, but I think it was an .06. My brothers-in-law used an old M94 in 25.35.
                Percy was a legend. He did amazing things in WW2. Served part of the time with Audy Murphy, and then hunted with him up here afterwards. Audy gave Percy an M1 Garand. Joel ended up with it, but the only provenance he had was the 2 of them together on a hunt up here and the M1 was in the photos. It got sold for the price of an ordinary M1.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X