Limiting Long-Liners in Prince William Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limiting Long-Liners in Prince William Sound

There are movements afoot in both Whittier and Cordova to begin regulating the activities of commercial Halibut fishermen with-in the confines of Prince William Sound. What do you guys think of that?
    Rob Cone-Clark
    Whittier Boats
    http://www.alaska-boat-rentals.com
    Tel. 1.907.632.1188

And the reason behind this is?

And the historical use of the area is by?

And the economic impact would be?

And the impact to the biomass has been?

And the creators of this "movement" are?

And their interests derive from?

Sorry, a few more details would be nice to see unless this is entirely based on emotion.

If I had to "off the cuff" this one I'd say it's yet another piss and moan from the mosquito fleet. PWS is limited entry for sable-fish, regulated for halibut via IFQ, not a hot bed for Grey Cod, and the rock-fish is undersized as opposed to the offshore reefs and sea-mounts.

Seems there are already ample "limitations" in place there....

How about a movement limiting the number of pleasure boats?

Or a movement that any boats rented must be rented only to Alaska Residents who hold a minimum 6 pack license?

Makes about as much sense. More, actually.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
      Seems there are already ample "limitations" in place there....

How about a movement limiting the number of pleasure boats?

Or a movement that any boats rented must be rented only to Alaska Residents who hold a minimum 6 pack license?

Makes about as much sense. More, actually.

I seem to agree on the limitations are already in place.

Struck a nerve on the pleasure boaters did it??? Down there stud!
      sigpic
      ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
      1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
      MMSI# 338131469
      Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AKBassking View Post
        I seem to agree on the limitations are already in place.

Struck a nerve on the pleasure boaters did it??? Down there stud!
        Didn't really strike a nerve, insomuch that the ulterior motives behind this post are apparent, and abhorrent. Those involved want to attack one sectors income and livelihood? Expect a likewise response if that's the case...
        Last edited by AlaskaHippie; 06-06-2007, 11:49.
        “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Comment

fair play

one sectors income and livelihood?
          ...one sector's...
          "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Comment

I can't believe I just did that. Now, did I stoop or did I rise? Aye, there's the rub.

(It must be a boring day here in the office).
            "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Comment

If yer gonna play...

..Get it right...

And before the "yer" is pointed out, I am aware of it, and it's common Internet slang...

<grin>

Originally posted by nickster View Post
              ...one sector's...
              Main Entry: 1sec&#183;tor
              Pronunciation: 'sek-t&r, -"tor
              Function: noun
              Etymology: Late Latin, from Latin, cutter, from secare to cut -- more at SAW
              1 a : a geometric figure bounded by two radii and the included arc of a circle b (1) : a subdivision of a defensive military position (2) : a portion of a military front or area of operation c : an area or portion resembling a sector <bilingual sector of town -- David Kleinberg> d : a sociological, economic, or political subdivision of society <cooperation between the public and private sectors -- Peter Chapman>

Comment

Originally posted by nickster View Post
                I (It must be a boring day here in the office).

Yes it is! I would rather be fishing or hunting!
                sigpic
                ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
                1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
                MMSI# 338131469
                Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Comment

educate me further

..Get it right...

And before the "yer" is pointed out, I am aware of it, and it's common Internet slang...

<grin>

Main Entry: 1sec·tor
                  Pronunciation: 'sek-t&r, -"tor
                  Function: noun
                  Etymology: Late Latin, from Latin, cutter, from secare to cut -- more at SAW
                  1 a : a geometric figure bounded by two radii and the included arc of a circle b (1) : a subdivision of a defensive military position (2) : a portion of a military front or area of operation c : an area or portion resembling a sector <bilingual sector of town -- David Kleinberg> d : a sociological, economic, or political subdivision of society <cooperation between the public and private sectors -- Peter Chapman>
                  Ok, sectors in the above quote is plural, "sectors" as you used it previously was possessive, right? Why doesn't the possessive use the apostrophe?

Comment

I think it is a great idea. The offlimits area should also extend offshore of the barrier islands.

Comment

How about there is a new reg made stating that there will be a per pound charge for every red salmon caught by a sportfishing boat in main bay?? a charge for every hatchery silver caught in the sound? a charge for every king caught around ester and whittier? and lets also throw in a permit fee to fish around the hatcheries? The sportfisherman DON'T PAY A DIME for those fish that are paid for by commercial fishermen to be raised and released. So lets not start a grab for the fisheries. I knew it would come some day "those are OUR halibut in the sound" and how dare those longliners want to catch them.
                      sigpic
                      Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                      Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                      Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                      alaskashrimppots.com
                      akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                      907 775 1692

Comment

Well put potbuilder.

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
                          .....The sportfisherman DON'T PAY A DIME for those fish that are paid for by commercial fishermen to be raised and released.....
                          That's fairly accurate.

I knew it would come some day "those are OUR halibut in the sound" and how dare those longliners want to catch them.
                          Where are the halibut hatcheries located?

Comment

Come On

Pot builder are you telling me that out of 7.6 million dollars paid to sportfishing license last year, none of that money went to hatcheries?

I'm not saying they should limit the sound to L/L but lets keep this real. Both sides contribute plenty of dollars for the fisheries.
                            Shawn Gornall
                            www.ultimateislandadventures.com

Comment

my boat has pulled enough sport snagged reds from main bay to justify paying a fee.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X