Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where will the next UCI Board Of Fish meeting be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jefferies thinks meeting should be held in a "neutral place". Is confident that people who's livelihood is dependant on it will find a way to get to Anchorage. Sorry everyone else, I guess this meeting is only for those with commercial interests.

Comment

Jensen also feels that Anchorage is "neutral territory". Thinks Anchorage is the "wise choice".

Comment

Fritz Johnson standing up to the B.S. Thinks that due to so much involvement from people on the peninsula, we are overdue for a meeting on the Kenai.

Everyone but him voted to have meeting in Anchorage. What a corrupt process. This system is broken. Citizens of the Kenai should be livid right now. All of us.

Comment

Interesting that even the "commercial" seats on the board voted to have the meeting in Anchorage.

Pretty clear that blackmailing and vote trading is taking place, and that Karl Johnstone and the Syndicate were willing to expend a lot of political capital to get this meeting in Anchorage. I would say Morisky too but I don't think he orchestrates anything - just does what he's told. I'm sure the Syndicate has something on Jefferies and Jensen (probably controlling votes on issues close to home for Jefferies and the same for Jensen - or perhaps some other dirt since he has been involved much longer) that caused them to line up with the Syndicate. Don't know about Huntington - he keeps pretty quiet but doesn't seem like the kind of person who is easily blackmailed.

Another thing - I caught the last part of discussion regarding the last ACR considered. I don't even know what the ACR was about, but I heard Kluberton's reasoning for denying it and just shook my head - he felt that the board had enough information on the issue to introduce a Board Generated Proposal to fix the problem...

WAY TO CIRCUMVENT THE PUBLIC PROCESS!!!! BOARD GENERATED PROPOSALS HAVE NO MECHANISM FOR PUBLIC INPUT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by smithtb View Post
            Fritz Johnson standing up to the B.S. Thinks that due to so much involvement from people on the peninsula, we are overdue for a meeting on the Kenai.

Everyone but him voted to have meeting in Anchorage. What a corrupt process. This system is broken. Citizens of the Kenai should be livid right now. All of us.
            Did anyone expect anything different. I think a major protest by Kenai residents in the streets against the Gov and his appointments may make a point. Does anyone have the energy to do this? Because a change in Gov is the only way to replace commissioners, directors and board members.

Comment

I will be voting for change, but regardless of how the state elections go, I think it is high time that our local government get involved. It for one will be urging the Borough to take more interest in ensuring the best interests of our fishing communities are represented. This is not a sport vs. commercial thing, this is a community issue.

Comment

What's more disappointing than the fact they chose to have it in Anchorage, is the way they did it.

Folks, be sure to inform your fellow neighbor about the BOF politics taking place, send a quick e-mail to the governor's office expressing your disappointment, and don't forget to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Funstastic View Post
                  What's more disappointing than the fact they chose to have it in Anchorage, is the way they did it.

Folks, be sure to inform your fellow neighbor about the BOF politics taking place, send a quick e-mail to the governor's office expressing your disappointment, and don't forget to vote.
                  For Bill Walker/ Byron Mallot

Comment

Originally posted by gunner View Post
                    For Bill Walker/ Byron Mallot
                    Wondering if they have committed to draining the swamp with ADFG and the BOF? Have they said if they will appoint a new ADFG Commissioner? Have they recognized the problem with the process?

I'm guessing if elected, Walker/Mallott would appoint Craig Fleener as the ADFG Commissioner, since he was Walker's original running mate before the Rep/Dem switcheroo merge thingy that is now the Independent ticket. Fleener, an Alaska Native Athabascan, was the former ADFG Deputy Commissioner with big ties to subsistence issues. According to some, his track record in Valdez left much to be desired. So where fisheries are concerned, it could mean jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Personally I'm a little apprehensive when a Republican and a Democrat merge...since their fundamental principles are so polarized. I understand their combined tactic is to root out Parnell, but then what? Where will the polarization leave our fisheries? In my community, my personal observation is that the general Dem principles center around subsistence, personal use, and guided sport fisheries, while the general Rep principles center around commercial fishing and private sport fishing...your mileage my differ.

Anyway, if the BOF won't go to where the fisheries take place and where the fishermen are, then maybe the folks should bring it to them in Anchorage, like Jeffries wanted. A campaign to fill four or five busses with folks from Kenai/Soldotna, Kodiak, Homer, Seward, etc. might be in order?....

Comment

Wondering if they have committed to draining the swamp with ADFG and the BOF? Have they said if they will appoint a new ADFG Commissioner? Have they recognized the problem with the process?

I'm guessing if elected, Walker/Mallott would appoint Craig Fleener as the ADFG Commissioner, since he was Walker's original running mate before the Rep/Dem switcheroo merge thingy that is now the Independent ticket. Fleener, an Alaska Native Athabascan, was the former ADFG Deputy Commissioner with big ties to subsistence issues. According to some, his track record in Valdez left much to be desired. So where fisheries are concerned, it could mean jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Personally I'm a little apprehensive when a Republican and a Democrat merge...since their fundamental principles are so polarized. I understand their combined tactic is to root out Parnell, but then what? Where will the polarization leave our fisheries? In my community, my personal observation is that the general Dem principles center around subsistence, personal use, and guided sport fisheries, while the general Rep principles center around commercial fishing and private sport fishing...your mileage my differ.
                      f
                      Anyway, if the BOF won't go to where the fisheries take place and where the fishermen are, then maybe the folks should bring it to them in Anchorage, like Jeffries wanted. A campaign to fill four or five busses with folks from Kenai/Soldotna, Kodiak, Homer, Seward, etc. might be in order?....
                      Most of the mess we have is under Republican leadership - Frank M moved habitat, Palin and Parnell have selected pro-development Commissioners who could care less about the environment or are totally incompetent. You are right about the selection of the Commissioner. I know the guy wants the job as he has expressed it. My understanding is that the ticket is not talking about the environment or social issues to keep Walker's republican base. But you are right someone should ask him and Parnell about their appointments.

Relative to Anchorage and buses - forget it. We tried that one time but the cost is prohibitive. The sign up process for testimony means waiting one to two days sometimes. So a bus load of people for a day makes no difference. What counts is buying or threatening them with reappointment threats.

I found it interesting they claim Anchorage is neutral. What a joke. Of the 35,000 PU families most are in Anchorage, most sport fisherman are in Anchorage relative to lic. sales, most political power with Penney and Dan Coffey and others are in Anchorage. It just shows how corrupt this Board is - they cannot even be honest. Just say you do not want it on the Peninsula because that threatens your agenda to eliminate commercial eastside and drift fishing in UCI.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerka View Post
                        I found it interesting they claim Anchorage is neutral. What a joke. Of the 35,000 PU families most are in Anchorage, most sport fisherman are in Anchorage relative to lic. sales, most political power with Penney and Dan Coffey and others are in Anchorage. It just shows how corrupt this Board is - they cannot even be honest. Just say you do not want it on the Peninsula because that threatens your agenda to eliminate commercial eastside and drift fishing in UCI.
                        Yes, Anchorage may be considered "Neutral" to those who make their deals on cocktail napkins in poorly lit lounges. Easier to get away with shenanigans in a big city... Heck, Mr. Chairman can't even fly in from his home in Arizona and have dinner down here without it making the forums

What's crazy is that KRSA, who campaigned HARD to keep the meeting in Anchorage, wouldn't even publically admit that's what they wanted. Here they are, a local "nonprofit" "sportfishing" organization, and they are the ones who started and continue pushing this lie that a meeting here is not a good idea because people on the peninsula are all crazy. They were actively working with the paid Mat-Su lobbyists and others to make the meeting happen up there, away from their home base, the "world famous Kenai River".

KRSA would not openly say they wanted a meeting in Anchorage to the public, but expended a lot of time and lobbying effort to make sure that happened. I would hope to see our community take these people and the businesses associated with them to task for their part in screwing the Peninsula.

As far as the Gov's race and what will happen there - I have no clue. I know that the current administration has admitted there is a problem and made commitments to do something about it, commitments which have thus far not been kept. I know they are aware of the illegal, unethical, and immoral actions of chairman Johnstone, and are supposedly seeking board candidates with the intellect and decency to stand up to his (4'-10") bullying tactics on behalf of the syndicate. I'll believe that when I see it. Talk is cheap.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole BOF should be shaken up and we should start new. Board Generated Proposals are the current modus operandi for this board - which only highlights their lack of functionality and disregard for public input and process. While the chairman may be responsible for most of the unscrupulous activity, the rest of the board - save the lone new-comer who openly stood up to the B.S. - is culpable for allowing it to continue to happen. Comon people, grow a pair already.

Sometimes, change is good. Yes, the unknown of what could happen with regard to fisheries, LNG, and many other issues should a politically mixed administration take office is somewhat nerve-racking. But looking and the current administration, I see an incumbent so beholden to and dependent on powerful special interests that he likely cannot oppose them and survive. To me, that is worse than any unknowns of a new administration.

At the end of the day, regardless of who is in the governor's seat, it's time for our local community to wake up and take the state of Alaska to task for ignoring the best interests of our fisheries resource and the Peninsula.

Or perhaps Johnstone, Gease, Delaney, or another one of the "in" crew who reads these threads could explain to us why they did what they did.....

HA! Pretty sure their strategy with regards to public discussion is radio silence unless they control the agenda...

Comment

Originally posted by Nerka View Post
                          Most of the mess we have is under Republican leadership - Frank M moved habitat, Palin and Parnell have selected pro-development Commissioners who could care less about the environment or are totally incompetent. You are right about the selection of the Commissioner. I know the guy wants the job as he has expressed it. My understanding is that the ticket is not talking about the environment or social issues to keep Walker's republican base. But you are right someone should ask him and Parnell about their appointments.

Relative to Anchorage and buses - forget it. We tried that one time but the cost is prohibitive. The sign up process for testimony means waiting one to two days sometimes. So a bus load of people for a day makes no difference. What counts is buying or threatening them with reappointment threats.

You're welcome to your opinion Nerka - this forum isn't really a place for political debates or partisan finger-pointing. All I will say is blaming Republican leadership for the mess is a myopic, partisan view. Democratic leadership has failed our fisheries and the process too, perhaps more - dating back long before Parnell, Palin, and Frank M; to Knowles, Cowper, Sheffield, and Eagan. And of course some of our best fisheries leaders have been Republican, like my friend Jay Hammond. Bottom line, the corrupt BOF process didn't just happen overnight on the Republican watch. It has roots from the Democrat watch as well. Any fair and open-minded person would recognize that.

I find your opinion that Republican leadership could care less about the habitat and environment, to be the same misguided mantra the anti-development syndicate typically spews. It plays on emotion. Of course they care about habitat and environment, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with a pro-development leadership for Alaska. I would only agree that finding a balance between the two is not easy. Some folks would just like to lock it all up, all why they enjoy the benefits of what development provides them.

What evidence do you have that environmental and social issues are purposely being avoided to keep Walker's Republican base? I have not heard that one. Why would the Republican base not want to confront environmental and social issues?

I agree the logistics of the bussing thing is complicated, mostly financially. But I think it could be done. I'd be willing to help fund a bus rental or some lodging.

Regardless of all this, we need to get some answers out of our gubernatorial candidates concerning the BOF process...what is their plan, what action do they support, and my favorite - will the ADFG Commissioner be attending KRSA's 2015 Kenai Classic?!

Comment

Originally posted by smithtb View Post
                            As far as I'm concerned, the whole BOF should be shaken up and we should start new. Board Generated Proposals are the current modus operandi for this board - which only highlights their lack of functionality and disregard for public input and process. While the chairman may be responsible for most of the unscrupulous activity, the rest of the board - save the lone new-comer who openly stood up to the B.S. - is culpable for allowing it to continue to happen. Comon people, grow a pair already.
                            Hey, can we do a write-in?...smithtb for governor! :topjob:

Comment

I agree the logistics of the bussing thing is complicated, mostly financially. But I think it could be done. I'd be willing to help fund a bus rental or some lodging.
                              Hopefully our whole community will support local government getting involved and helping residents have a voice.

Perhaps we can figure out a way for individuals from the Peninsula to testify remotely. No reason at all we can't have video streaming of the entire meeting as well as video testimony at the local LIO office. Heck, I swore I'd never go back to that BOF circus without a Go-Pro attached to my head, given all of the unethical activity. I'll gladly stream it, AND the "off-the-record" B.S. that takes place during the breaks...

If the board won't hold a regulatory meeting in our fishing community, we need to find a way to bring the community to them without individuals having to pony up $200 a night to stay at the Cook. Sorry Mrs. Jefferies, it IS a big deal to take two weeks away from work and the family (because there is no way in heck I will ever have my family around that scene again) and fight over fish - even though I have a financial interest. Completely unreasonable to expect a private individual to endure that cost just to participate in the process.

If they want to meet in Anchorage, we obviously can't control that. But we can insist that the public have their forum DURING the regulatory meeting, not months before at the worksession. Nice try. I plan to encourage everyone who lives here to testify. If board members like Anchorage so much, let them sit there for 3 weeks while they listen to the concerns of the less important residents of the Kenai P.

Comment

Fun, we will just have to disagree on the cause of the decline and responsibility but the facts on the Habitat change and lack of meaningful habitat action by the past three republican administrations speaks volumes. You cannot deny those facts.

Relative to the lack of comment on environmental and social issues I asked a person close to the Walker team why he was not speaking out on these issues. This was three weeks ago just after the merger. He told me it was a decision that was made by the team and for the reasons I stated. I am out of town so I will ask you. Has Walker spoke to environmental issues and social issues in any meaningful way. I gather from your posts he has not so that tends to support the position I heard.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X