X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FishGod
    replied
    Originally posted by smithtb View Post
    Same group of people, however their population has increased exponentially and they have incorporated modern technology and efficiency into their traditional harvest methods. Big difference. Their ancestors didn't have outboards, cell phones, or monofilament gear.
    Excellent point! I brought this up in a different thread. Cell phones have changed that subsistence fishery unlike any other form of technology.

Leave a comment:

• smithtb
    replied
    Originally posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Ohhh you mean those people that have harvested these fish for survival for the last several thousand years???

I'm more curious how many were killed as "by-catch" by commercial fishermen in more recent history........
    Same group of people, however their population has increased exponentially and they have incorporated modern technology and efficiency into their traditional harvest methods. Big difference. Their ancestors didn't have outboards, cell phones, or monofilament gear.

Leave a comment:

• kasilofchrisn
    replied
    Ohhh you mean those people that have harvested these fish for survival for the last several thousand years???

I'm more curious how many were killed as "by-catch" by commercial fishermen in more recent history........
    When the fish are gone completly we will all wonder what we should have done.
    While Trawler bycatch is a serious issue, when there is a closure I don't care who you are the resource should come first.
    And personally I don't care if you have been harvesting them for 1 year or 10,000 years when the fish are suffering we all need to do our part to keep them alive or bear our share of the blame for their demise.
    Out of curiosity what have you done in regards to the bycatch issue? Written any letters to your congressmen/women? Strated a campaign against them?
    Just curious as you should do something if you are that concerned yet I doubt you have (other than complain here).

Leave a comment:

• akiceman25
    replied
    Originally posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Yes, that's what I mean. Just because you've done it for X amount of years, doesn't give you any exception. If the population is hurting that much, it doesn't matter who you are.

And the by-catch continues.

Leave a comment:

• Anythingalaska
    replied
    Yes, that's what I mean. Just because you've done it for X amount of years, doesn't give you any exception. If the population is hurting that much, it doesn't matter who you are.

Leave a comment:

• akiceman25
    replied
    Originally posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    I can only imagine how many Kings will be poached by villagers and others.

Leave a comment:

• Anythingalaska
    replied
    Good, it should be closed. I can only imagine how many Kings will be poached by villagers and others.

Leave a comment:

• iyouktug
    replied
    Oh no no noooo!

Leave a comment:

• fishNphysician
    started a topic YUKON KINGS…. closed for 2014

YUKON KINGS…. closed for 2014

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...cted-low-runs/

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=1932

Footer Adsense

Collapse