Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• willphish4food
    replied
    Well, the Dept has already issued EO's closing nearly all Susitna drainage streams to retention of King salmon by sportfishermen
    due to numerous years of not meeting sustainable goals. The forecasts coming in each year are new and significant, I would think. Sure makes sense to close a fishery that catches indiscriminately fish bound to all drainages.

Seems like a very interesting take you have, Nerka. You and many others on this forum and in the meetings resist regulatory restrictions in the ND setnet fishery, claiming that if a Chinook shortage is forecast or becomes apparent inseason, managers just have to issue an EO to close the fishery. Now you claim that to do so is illegal. Nice.

Leave a comment:

• Nerka
    replied
    In my opinion this is a totally illegal emergency order. It is not about whether it is needed or not. The PMA case which went to the Supreme Court states that ADF&G cannot change management plans prior to the season without new and significant information. This emergency order changes those management plans without meeting that criteria. The early run Kenai River chinook emergency order does the same. While some may want to argue this is needed the fact is that the courts and legislature and constitution are there to protect users from ADF&G making allocation decisions that have been passed by the BOF prior to the season.

Just for the record ADF&G changed a management plan on chum salmon prior to the season. The Peninsula Marketing Association sued that ADF&G could not change the plan prior to the season. The court ruled in favor of PMA. This has been the standard ADF&G operated with until recently and in my opinion they are breaking the law. All ADF&G has to do is start the season for both fisheries and after a few days issue the e.o. That would be clean. Arrogance of power is the rule with this Administration.

I wonder if anyone will challenge this in court.

Leave a comment:

• fishNphysician
    started a topic UCI Northern District EO

UCI Northern District EO

Upper Cook Inlet Commercial Fishing Announcement No. 1 closes commercial salmon fishing in the Northern District of Upper Cook Inlet on Monday, May 26, 2014.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../401704712.pdf

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X