UCI Northern District EO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    Another hypothesis that F&G has is that the poor runs were caused by over escapement. Look at the runs with 30,000 + fish and the correlating returns. I've always thought over escapement was a myth but when the guys in Palmer showed me the numbers it was hard to deny.
    Remember what spawning conditions were like in 04,05 and 06. This makes a big difference in how a large run will effect productivity. Water levels were extremely low, temperatures extremely high. Runs near low ends of SEGs and BEGs would have been too large for available spawning habitat, so runs coming in above goals made the problem worse. I observed female kings on all Susitna Rivers that I fished laying dead on the banks with eggs still in them. Spawning runs that normally held dozens or hundreds of kings were completely dry, or bare trickles that were packed with kings trying to spawn, backs out of the water, with holding water below the runs full of kings waiting their turn. Then in '06 the August flood pretty much wiped out all inriver fish and any eggs they had laid, making escapement numbers a moot point. So while there may be a correlation between some years of high escapements and poor recruitment from those years, it is not a direct causal relationship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nerka View Post
      Arcticwildman, we may disagree on stuff but at least I hope both of us are open to new data and this post shows it. If we stick to data and where we can improve our knowledge it will lead to the correct solution in most cases. I just think that we have little chance of changing ocean conditions but we have a great opportunity to protect and correct problems in freshwater.
      I agree 100%. Maybe we can discuss the fisheries over a beer sometime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcticwildman View Post
        I agree 100%. Maybe we can discuss the fisheries over a beer sometime.
        I think you know who I am and I am in the phone book. If you get down this way give me a call. Also can drink a beer and discuss fish.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
        Working...
        X