question about ski skins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about ski skins

My wife and I have 2017 Yamaha VK540's and for those who aren't aware, they have 156x20" tracks. We got pretty stuck (me x2 and wife x1) this last weekend when riding north of Willow on fresh snow in the hills that was quite deep. My question is for those of you who have put 11" skins on- will it make a significant difference in flotation to be worth it? The factory ski's are 8" so it seems like it would help a great deal. Are there aftermarket skis that would be preferable?
    I had skins on my old Tundra's and it made a difference, and these VK's are heavy!

Glad we had the Warn 1700 portable winch/rope and trees close enough to use for anchors! It is amazing how much weight you can lift on dry ground versus sinking past your waist in snow! LOL.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    BEE

I have used wide skins for flotation, but prefer to just swap the skis out. My favorite are the Sly Dog Powder Hounds. They aren't 11" though.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

My bearcat 7000xt has 10inch wide skis and I was riding it in mtn country up in eureka. That front end stayed on top of the snow the entire time.

Comment

I have wide skins on both of my Skandics. Lots better floatation. Also if the snow conditions are questionable and I want to stop I make a big circle and come back on my track and stop in it. That way I have a trail to start up again in. Esp. when I am hauling wood.

Patriot Life Member NRA
        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I had a Polaris RMK with Sly dogs on it, and had recently purchased a Skidoo that I thought was going to be a nice deep powder machine also. Really long paddle track. I took that pig out, and the skis were so deep in the snow, the front end was plowing and the snow was coming over the hood and windshield. Impossible to see where I was going.....and cold. Took it back to my shop and hopped on the old RMK.
          Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Thank you for the comments- much appreciated.

Comment

I know what you mean about heavy!!!
              I have an RS Venture GT and it's a little lighter than yours but not much.
              My issue is the narrower track. It'll spin out in the sugar snow we get here in the NWT easily if you're not careful.
              Trying to lift the back end up out of 3 feet of snow is a PIA especially when there is so much rear suspension movement trying to lift it out of the hole.

A couple of years ago I got it stuck at the cabin and needed my high lift jack and come along to get it unstuck.

Luckily I can usually get out by digging out the front end and giving it some throttle to drive out.

sigpic
              www.arcticangler.ca
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

the wider the shoes you can put on the front the better....My 900 ACE SWT has 10" clown shoes on it and it is awesome. if you ride with someone else, always a good recommendation, look into the long Sno Bunje Cobra......

kevin
                2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
                26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
                20' Alumatech Airboat
                EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

Comment

Originally posted by keh View Post
                  the wider the shoes you can put on the front the better....My 900 ACE SWT has 10" clown shoes on it and it is awesome. if you ride with someone else, always a good recommendation, look into the long Sno Bunje Cobra......

kevin
                  I ride solo sometimes when heading into our property to do chores, but usually with my wife. We both got stuck at same time at one point. When I really got buried, I didn't want her trying to come up the same way as I was doing a trial run and was 100 yards from her sled. The 11" skins have been ordered! May not need them but will be nice to have more flotation just in case.

Comment

If you are going to get ski skins go big these are 12 inch, it made a huge difference gong through powder and made no difference while riding on a trail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	2501387QUOTE=AKBEE;1628622]My wife and I have 2017 Yamaha VK540's and for those who aren't aware, they have 156x20" tracks. We got pretty stuck (me x2 and wife x1) this last weekend when riding north of Willow on fresh snow in the hills that was quite deep. My question is for those of you who have put 11" skins on- will it make a significant difference in flotation to be worth it? The factory ski's are 8" so it seems like it would help a great deal. Are there aftermarket skis that would be preferable?
                    I had skins on my old Tundra's and it made a difference, and these VK's are heavy!

Glad we had the Warn 1700 portable winch/rope and trees close enough to use for anchors! It is amazing how much weight you can lift on dry ground versus sinking past your waist in snow! LOL.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
                    BEE[/QUOTE]

Comment

Hunter:

Thank you for the reminder! Those are some wide shoes for sure! The lack of snow I haven't been getting ready for riding but it could dump any day now. I got so hung up on chores at the end of last season that I never got the skins ordered as I thought I had, so just wrote Big Lake Yamaha to get the wider ones ASAP.

Comment

Are Ski Skins specific to an exact model, say ski-doo wide track, or will they work on more then one model.....??? Will they work on more then one make or brand of snow machine.....??? Are they totally universal....??
                        "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                          Are Ski Skins specific to an exact model, say ski-doo wide track, or will they work on more then one model.....??? Will they work on more then one make or brand of snow machine.....??? Are they totally universal....??
                          I believe Denise Kirk ( Internet snowmachine parts) sells universal ones you would need to drill out the holes for the carbides, every one of the ones I have purshased have been from a dealer my new ones for my articcat 540XT came from the dealer, I have not really had a chance to try them I believe they are 10 inch wide, I am hoping they will be wide enough.

Comment

Originally posted by AKBEE View Post
                            Hunter:

Thank you for the reminder! Those are some wide shoes for sure! The lack of snow I haven't been getting ready for riding but it could dump any day now. I got so hung up on chores at the end of last season that I never got the skins ordered as I thought I had, so just wrote Big Lake Yamaha to get the wider ones ASAP.

How do you like your VK 540? My 540 XT is some what differant then any other machine I have owned it is a pure work horse, with a lot of comfort things added, and if need be very easy to work on

Comment

I like the comfortable riding position, comfortable and stable ride, long/wide track with long enough lugs, the simplicity, the reliability (and back up pull start). I dont like the weight and the design of the underseat storage. Overall happy with them but wish I had given more thought to the expedition with ACE for quiet fuel efficiency. I miss the light weight of my old Tundras but man they were tippy!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X