Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about ski skins

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I ride alone too. So i installed a2500 lb. winch on mine.

    Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans


    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
      I ride alone too. So i installed a2500 lb. winch on mine.
      yes sir- understood. I have a Warn 1700 lb portable that I have used 3 times (goes with me on every trip). Also carry come-along with 100’ rope under the seat. Gotta be prepared for most things being solo- especially where not many people go.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by AKBEE View Post
        I haven't thought about that but it is a good idea if I was really sunk and needed to just lift- especially since I carry rescue gear. I would appreciate knowing how you arrange the poles (and sizes) because I would have thought a tripod.
        I haven't had to do it yet but it was a thought. I just might try it with the lack of snow we have since I can't run anyways. I'd think tow 2-3" alder poles would do it. Might as well try now before I really do get it stuck. I think much depends on the snow. If it's 4-5 foot deep I thin that it is best to have 4-5 friends help.

        Patriot Life Member NRA
        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
        Life Member Disabled American Veterans


        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
          I haven't had to do it yet but it was a thought. I just might try it with the lack of snow we have since I can't run anyways. I'd think tow 2-3" alder poles would do it. Might as well try now before I really do get it stuck. I think much depends on the snow. If it's 4-5 foot deep I thin that it is best to have 4-5 friends help.
          Getting really stuck is never in a good spot either! The last time I used the winch I was on a rising ridge and the snow was very deep- sank both ends. Get off the sled and sink up to my waist. It is hard to try to rig up anything when you can't walk, and trying to get close enough to the sled to shovel and hook up straps wearing big snow shoes is not fun either! LOL (funny now- not then). There was nothing in front or back to hook to, and the sides were fairly steep, so I used the trees to the right side to winch over the ass end enough to reverse my direction. That winch has seriously saved my butt. BTW those collapsible shovels with the spring buttons are convenient, but when the spring button breaks and falls into the tube it is not much better than a plate. I know you can use snow shoes to shovel, but not well once the snow is hard. Good luck with trying it out in advance and I hope you never need the winch.

          Comment


          • #35
            I know what you mean. Back when I bought my first machine I was ptarmigan hunting. Shot a couple in the willows and drove over to retrieve them as soon as I hit the willows the bottom fell out and I was 3 feet below the above snow line. Wasn't fun.

            Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans


            Comment


            • #36
              wenches are great if you have a place to hook it , don't get me wrong I had ""come-a-long's also, with lots of rope as I see it a little bit is great, but lots is better as you are on your own ,

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Sid View Post
                wenches are great if you have a place to hook it , don't get me wrong I had ""come-a-long's also, with lots of rope as I see it a little bit is great, but lots is better as you are on your own ,
                i couldn’t agree more!

                Comment

                Footer Adsense

                Collapse
                Working...
                X