question about ski skins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AKBEE View Post
    I like the comfortable riding position, comfortable and stable ride, long/wide track with long enough lugs, the simplicity, the reliability (and back up pull start). I dont like the weight and the design of the underseat storage. Overall happy with them but wish I had given more thought to the expedition with ACE for quiet fuel efficiency. I miss the light weight of my old Tundras but man they were tippy!
    Yes the storage under the seat is a little strange as the seat does not completely flip up, but It is completly do able. I had a Arcticcat bearcat 550 XT before I purchased my Arcticcat 540XT and I believe it was way heavier plus did not have the low/high transmission. I have found with the wide ski skins the front stays afloat and with the wide track the machine seems to do well in deep snow, I break trail up in the lake Louise susitna lake area of course I am not going through 3 or 4 feet of snow, but I have never been stuck because as soon as I feel any track slippage I back up and move forward in small steps until I can get through the bad spots. I also looked at the skidoo work machines but simplicity brought me back to simple and functional 😊

Comment

Originally posted by hunter1951 View Post
      Yes the storage under the seat is a little strange as the seat does not completely flip up, but It is completly do able. I had a Arcticcat bearcat 550 XT before I purchased my Arcticcat 540XT and I believe it was way heavier plus did not have the low/high transmission. I have found with the wide ski skins the front stays afloat and with the wide track the machine seems to do well in deep snow, I break trail up in the lake Louise susitna lake area of course I am not going through 3 or 4 feet of snow, but I have never been stuck because as soon as I feel any track slippage I back up and move forward in small steps until I can get through the bad spots. I also looked at the skidoo work machines but simplicity brought me back to simple and functional 
      A proven workhorse in Russia the whole time it was being improved upon and people here thought it was a reintroduced sled. I do like the simplicity for sure. Looking forward to breaking trail soon. Stay safe.

Comment

Articcat 540XT Yamaha 540 Viking same machine just differant names 😊

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	2501399Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	2501400
        A proven workhorse in Russia the whole time it was being improved upon and people here thought it was a reintroduced sled. I do like the simplicity for sure. Looking forward to breaking trail soon. Stay safe.

Comment

Hunter:

Thank you for the reminder! Those are some wide shoes for sure! The lack of snow I haven't been getting ready for riding but it could dump any day now. I got so hung up on chores at the end of last season that I never got the skins ordered as I thought I had, so just wrote Big Lake Yamaha to get the wider ones ASAP.
          Did you ever get your new ski skins?

Comment

Originally posted by hunter1951 View Post
            Did you ever get your new ski skins?
            I got a call from Big Lake Yamaha yesterday afternoon that the ordered ones have arrived! Now I need some snow to try them out.

Comment

No matter what you do you will get stuck at some point in time, an the wide ski skins will help in the soft snow , to float the front end some , with the weight of the big sleds it helps the have a jack with you at all times , SID

Comment

Originally posted by Sid View Post
                No matter what you do you will get stuck at some point in time, an the wide ski skins will help in the soft snow , to float the front end some , with the weight of the big sleds it helps the have a jack with you at all times , SID
                We just had about 3 feet of snow followed by some rain and a bit more snow. The trail conditions were horrible and I busted through to the bottom while trying to go up a hill pulling a laden sled- however the skins performed great and I was able to float over places I could not have without them.

Comment

to get unstuck you need a jack to lift the track up so you can put sticks under it , an old car jack works for me , the part that goes under the bumper of car has to be reworked to fit the back end of your sled , this worked real well for me when alone an at the end of the day,
                  car / auto jack ? it was from the 1950 to 1975 time frame not the type used to day , they called them BUMPER JACKS then

Comment

it was from the 1950 to 1975 time frame not the type used to day , they called them BUMPER JACKS then
                    Man you just aged yourself! Include myself in that, I have not seen one in years.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Lol- was just watching a movie about Hoffa and they were using a bumper jack. Hi- lift jack is same principle but heavier and now they make lightweight jacks for snogos.

Comment

Sid- I appreciate the advice and will pack an extra hi-lifter jack with wheel hooks (easier to grab racks) in my cargo sled when I go back in this week. Hopefully I won’t need it! I was looking online at the snowjacks- $325 ..... I think for sport riders cutting weight with no space it makes a lot of sense, but I can carry extra gear where I go so a bit more weight is fine. Y’all ride safe!

Comment

Could you cut two poles, lash them together and us a 5 part pulley to lift a sled? Mine will lift 1500 pounds.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                          Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                            Could you cut two poles, lash them together and us a 5 part pulley to lift a sled? Mine will lift 1500 pounds.
                            I haven't thought about that but it is a good idea if I was really sunk and needed to just lift- especially since I carry rescue gear. I would appreciate knowing how you arrange the poles (and sizes) because I would have thought a tripod. I was reading on another forum that folks were modifying smaller sized bumper jacks like Sid mentioned as they are lighter than standard. They recommended the VW/Porsche ones from the 60's and 70's.

It is funny reading about the snow specific hi-lift jacks in that they are supposed to lift the sled high enough to be pushed over onto a higher spot. Something I would never have considered doing with something I have used a high lift jack for previously.

Hopefully we will get some decent snow this next week!

Y'all stay safe and have a great Christmas.

Comment

lots of things will work but the old stile bumper jack worked for me ,an it was easy to pack on mt sled , when I traveled in the back country it was worth its weight in '' GOLD "" to me if you have a lot of people you might not need a JACK , a friend turned me on to it ,

Comment

lots of things will work but the old stile bumper jack worked for me ,an it was easy to pack on mt sled , when I traveled in the back country it was worth its weight in '' GOLD "" to me if you have a lot of people you might not need a JACK , a friend turned me on to it ,
                                i appreciate the advice. I ride solo or with my wife so having gear to help out is needed.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X