Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*$^&#)* Trailer wiring!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • *$^&#)* Trailer wiring!

    I broke a well worn 7-pin tailer plug. No biggie, off to Six Roblees for a new plug and cord. Slice it in red-to-red, yellow-to-yellow, etc. Nice, tidy job, too. All shrink tubed and pretty. Who'd have thought there were more than one scheme for wire colors to pins? Not me. Nothing works as intended. The truck lights turn on the trailer back-up lights. The brakes turn on the running lights. I can't even leave the driveway since the turn signals might work the trailer brakes. That wouldn't be any fun! Holy crap on a cracker. I get to spend another evening under the trailer in the snow. Friggin' trailer wiring! :-(

  • #2
    It sounds to me like someone wired either the trailer, or the original 7pin as they felt it should be, rather than in the "standard" pattern.

    Comment


    • #3
      Nope. I googled 7 pin wiring and the answer was clear. There is not a standard for the pinning or wire colors. I got what I needed from a friendly guy at Featherlite. Now I know what I need but I still have to figure out what I have in the new cord. At least it's warm outside!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mr. Pid View Post
        Nope. I googled 7 pin wiring and the answer was clear. There is not a standard for the pinning or wire colors. I got what I needed from a friendly guy at Featherlite. Now I know what I need but I still have to figure out what I have in the new cord. At least it's warm outside!
        There is a standard pattern on the 7pin, colors may be "whatever" color on the wires depending on who installed the wiring. There is a standard on the wiring as well.
        This is a typical (standard) configuration, there may some color variation, example; the black (4) may instead be red, and/or the center may be red, but the other colors and circuits they serve are industry standard. If your truck is wired in this configuration you will be able to attach to any other properly wired trailer and have all circuits functioning as they should. One other variation in color may be rather than brown for the tail lights(3) it may be dark green
        . the standard for four wire trailer lighting harness is green, yellow, brown, white, add electric brakes and there will be a blue wire, add auxilliary battery and there will be a orange or red wire. The most imortant thing to is have the circuits wired in the configuration shown, a 12V test light will tell how each is operating.



        Comment


        • #5
          Whatever you say. :-) I'll grab a 6 pack and will have it figured out this evening. I'm not *****ing near as much as laughing at myself!

          Comment


          • #6
            I can't believe that any retard would use black wire for a 12v positive line. Black has been the ground wire color for dc circuits since time immemorial. White has never EVER been ground, not even in AC circuits. The color scheme on that schematic is insane, don't use it. Pin 4 absolutely must be red and pin 1 absolutely must be white. The other pins it probably doesn't much matter. Maybe you should print some adhesive labels on a label maker and cover them in clear packing tape or something-then you will have each wire marked as to which circuit it is in.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm not trying to argue but the "standard" pinning and wire colors shown above do not match Featherlite's wiring, and they've been known to build a trailer or two. Wiring is frustrating but the beer will be good!

              BTW, Featherlite uses white for line and black for ground.

              Comment


              • #8
                Just trying to be helpful. I have been a mechanic for 25 years and have repaired and rewired trailers and trucks countless times, the choice is yours.

                FL2AK, white has been the ground circuit on 12VDC trailers for ages.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Your illustration may prove helpful. I'll cross my Featherlite diagram to yours and see it that fixes the light show. Enjoy the rain!

                  Point of curiosity, my stock Featherlite harness, different from the illustration posted above, works with my stock GMC 7 pin socket. The scheme in the illustration would not. Hmmm.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mr. Pid View Post
                    I broke a well worn 7-pin tailer plug. No biggie, off to Six Roblees for a new plug and cord. Slice it in red-to-red, yellow-to-yellow, etc. Nice, tidy job, too. All shrink tubed and pretty. Who'd have thought there were more than one scheme for wire colors to pins? Not me. Nothing works as intended. The truck lights turn on the trailer back-up lights. The brakes turn on the running lights. I can't even leave the driveway since the turn signals might work the trailer brakes. That wouldn't be any fun! Holy crap on a cracker. I get to spend another evening under the trailer in the snow. Friggin' trailer wiring! :-(
                    Having been there more than once, my solution was to make a test cable. That I could put in between the truck and the trailer or use a battery as a power source to test the trailer wiring and lights. It consisted of a Male connector going to a terminal strip and then to a female. The terminal strip had wire color and function mark on it so there was no question as to what the wire was for.

                    If you want to borrow it you can.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      MacGyver,
                      Got a pic of this so I can make one....sounds like it would save some trouble in the future.
                      Currently use a test light to figure this out.
                      Mr. Pid, good luck it can be frustrating.
                      BK
                      BK Marine Services 232-6399
                      Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
                      Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
                      Www.bkmarineservices.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bkmail View Post
                        MacGyver,
                        Got a pic of this so I can make one....sounds like it would save some trouble in the future.
                        Currently use a test light to figure this out.
                        Mr. Pid, good luck it can be frustrating.
                        BK

                        No pictures but I can take some for you.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks guys, but I'll have 'er fixed when I get an hour or two to spend on it. I'm laughing at myself for not testing the color-to-color assumption BEFORE I did this wonderful heat-shrunk assembly and threaded it all back in, then attached all the retainer clips. I should have known better!

                          Friggin' trailer wiring!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Make sure to double check the plug on the truck against your new wiring schematic. That may be some confusion also. I had to rewire a boat trailer that someone did with only white, yellow, and black wires. They then spliced in blue and green halfway through to the lights... Almost ripped it all out and used hand signals

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              are the wires in the plug molded or are they screwed in? If molded You get to practice your crimping sealing skills again. LOL
                              It just stopped raining down here. Headed your way.
                              Liguid electrical tape seal up the connections pretty good and a little regular electrical over the top to cover the splice.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X