*$^&#)* Trailer wiring!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JOAT View Post
    I cannot believe how far off of the "old standard" they changed the pinouts on your Featherlight/GMC list. I know there are variations in wire color as well as the use of a couple of the "extra" pins on a 7RV plug, but that is rediculous that they rearranged the "standard" stuff such as turn signals and tail lights. And putting Ground on the center pin has got to be the stupidist idea I've ever seen. The original use of the center pin was for auxilliary battery positive. Thus, if you plug one of these Featherlight plugs into an old truck, you just made a dead short between the truck battery/charging circuit and the trailer's ground. Since the trailer ground is going to loop back through the ball, you might as well just weld your trailer to the truck. What the heck?

Exactly, either that or he did not explain it correctly.

Comment

My Featherlite has been with me through a few trucks and their plugs have all worked fine. A friend has a different brand trailer and his ground is also the center pin. My stuff is fixed and working fine. Y'all can discuss theory. My issue is solved!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Pid View Post
        My Featherlite has been with me through a few trucks and their plugs have all worked fine. A friend has a different brand trailer and his ground is also the center pin. My stuff is fixed and working fine. Y'all can discuss theory. My issue is solved!
        Is that a yes, or no to my question in post #29?

Comment

I indexed Featherlite's colors to pin positions with the index notch at the bottom according to the diagram Featherlite sent me. I'm guessing that's a yes to your question. In any event the fact that my ground is in the center and a friend's trailer and truck match mine? Interesting. Google up 7 pin wiring diagrams and you'll find several variations. Crazy stuff. I'm just happy to have mine fixed.

Comment

Somewhere along the way, someone must have redone the "standard" if trucks are coming from the factory with the center pin set as ground and the pinouts as you posted. I have a very, very old "standard" pinout chart in the shop that shows the wiring for the 7 pin RV connector. It's been there for probably 20 years or more. The center pin is "auxiliary/battery/charging" and matches the image that was posted earlier in the thread.

I've not hooked my truck (which is wired per that image) to a newer factory trailer, but this is going to make sure that I check things out before I ever do. Glad you posted this.
            Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

The white/black reversal of "typical" function has me scratching my head. Maybe the Featherlite drawing is incorrect. Black is ground.... Or is it? I'll grab a friend and map my truck plug with a multi meter when I get a chance. I'm curious.

Comment

Black was the standard "ground" color. However, most automotive applications are now running white as the "chassis ground" and adding a black stripe to 12v negative returns on fully looped circuits. So, you once had a red wire run from 12V+ to a lightbulb and a black wire from the bulb over to a chassis ground point. Now you may have a colored wire running from a switch or control out to the light or device and then the same color wire with a black stripe is running back on the negative leg where it will eventually tie into the 12V negative leg off the battery. With all the plastic and such being used, you can't rely on a chassis ground being available, so they usually run two wires out to each gizmo.

Of course, you can't rely on any color or color/stripe combo to mean anything across platforms. Seems like every auto manufacturer uses a different color code for their vehicle wiring. I just put a new stereo in a newer model Pontiac a couple weeks ago. Absolutely nothing in the car's wiring colors matched the "standards" for car stereos.
                Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X