New Ranger 800 6x6. Suggested mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I am really enjoying all you are sharing here. Like Josh reliability is king for me but I love to tinker & build. As I modify mine I will be looking for that fine line where performance & reliability meet.
    Right now it is sitting forlorn in the snow & 30mph wind behind the house. Bought it new about 3 weeks now & it has exactly 1 mile on it... :-( Anyone else tired of cold snowy windy and dark?
    First mod. Pull the **** air restrictor out of the intake. 2 minutes. Zero dollars. 8hp. That one is a no brainer. Thank lawyers for it being in there in the first place.

Another suggestion for anyone either about to buy one, or who recently has, opt for the optional 5 yr extended warranty. I normally don't on wheelers. But on this thing, it pays to do so if you use them alot.

Comment

Originally posted by theultrarider View Post
      First mod. Pull the **** air restrictor out of the intake. 2 minutes. Zero dollars. 8hp. That one is a no brainer. Thank lawyers for it being in there in the first place.

Another suggestion for anyone either about to buy one, or who recently has, opt for the optional 5 yr extended warranty. I normally don't on wheelers. But on this thing, it pays to do so if you use them alot.
      The restrictor will be coming out but I'm waiting for the weather to get good enough that I can get a good feel for it with the restrictor before I pull it so I will be able to feel the actual difference so I know for my self.
      Can you give me an idea what the extended warranty covers & what it doesn't? We started to discuss it at the dealer & got sidetracked.
      Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
      "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

Originally posted by Vance in AK View Post
        The restrictor will be coming out but I'm waiting for the weather to get good enough that I can get a good feel for it with the restrictor before I pull it so I will be able to feel the actual difference so I know for my self.
        Can you give me an idea what the extended warranty covers & what it doesn't? We started to discuss it at the dealer & got sidetracked.
        Just be dam ed sure you put your restrictor back in if you ever need to bring your machine in for warranty work. I've been warned that having the restrictor pulled while at the dealer will void the warranty. I just threw mine in the glove box so it was always handy.
        Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Comment

The extended warranty will not cover wear items. Ie... belts wheel bearings tie rod ends brakes. Most all of which you will eat up before your warranty is over. But it will cover axle shafts if you are close to stock, differentials transmissions engine and computer parts.

Comment

Resurrecting an old thread 😀. I'm looking at picking one of these up, most likely next spring. I keep hearing about weak transmissions, any truth to this or is it just haters hating. If so, is there a way to bullet proof the tranny? This thread has been a great read as I've been searching the webs there are not many conversations about these machines.
            Any of you guys looked into Portals instead of lift kits. I have read lift kits are hard on CV shafts because of the extreme angles.

https://www.superatv.com/polaris-ran...al-gear-lift-1

Alaskankid13: that is a cool looking 6er and pretty close to what I'm picturing, with the exception of the extension all though I like the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by 2dawgs View Post
              Resurrecting an old thread . I'm looking at picking one of these up, most likely next spring. I keep hearing about weak transmissions, any truth to this or is it just haters hating. If so, is there a way to bullet proof the tranny? This thread has been a great read as I've been searching the webs there are not many conversations about these machines.
              Any of you guys looked into Portals instead of lift kits. I have read lift kits are hard on CV shafts because of the extreme angles.

https://www.superatv.com/polaris-ran...al-gear-lift-1

Alaskankid13: that is a cool looking 6er and pretty close to what I'm picturing, with the exception of the extension all though I like the idea.
              Well if you haven't bought one yet, You are out of luck other than picking up a used one. Polaris dropped them from their lineup for 2018. A coworker called around the state a couple days ago looking for a new one and couldn't find one. They may be gone for good.

Comment

Well, that's not good news.

Comment

New Ranger 800 6x6. Suggested mods?

We are looking at portals, not per say for the lift factor, but to help take the strain off of the transmission and differentials. That is still down the road however.

I lost a transmission last fall while moose hunting. Expensive, even with friends in the right places.

Something a fellow 6x6 owner has recommended is run 75% Polaris tranny fluid and 25% Lucas synthetic additive. About to do this myself.

So what did I do to help make this transmission last longer?? We went down to 30" tires with 14" non-beadlock rims. Last year believe it or not the tire/rim combo weighed 69lbs a piece! Now we're down to 52lbs a piece. HUGE difference in how the machine handles the tires now.

Dont be dismayed that they discontinued the 6x6. There are actually a few really good deals on them on Craigslist right now especially compared to what we paid for ours. Word on the street is they're working on a new 6x6 but who really knows.

The beast we owns has
                  7" frame extension
                  Forward arched a-arms
                  Duraclutch with lighter weights
                  Fuel programmer
                  20" lightbar
                  Custom plywood roof
                  Custom flatbed as well as custom rack on stock bed
                  30" ITP Cryptids
                  14" rims
                  Front differential steel cradle
                  SuperATV Sprague in the front diff
                  Trail Armor skid plate
                  Heavy duty axles all around
                  Rackzilla steering rack
                  Snorkel

I've torn this thing completely apart a time or two and am always adding too it. Shoot me any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hopefully they are just reworking them and bring em back. I think they did this once before a few years ago. I guess we'll see, I'd rather have a new one over a used one but....

Comment

Originally posted by 2dawgs View Post
                      Hopefully they are just reworking them and bring em back. I think they did this once before a few years ago. I guess we'll see, I'd rather have a new one over a used one but....
                      I agree, I'll be in the market for one in a few years, I hope they are around again.
                      Josh
                      Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Comment

2016 6x6 sxs

Can anyone talk me out of getting a 2016 6x6 sxs? 6x6 instead of 4x4?
                        Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ACNDHO View Post
                          I would never try to talk you out of it. My buddy can go places in his that I would never consider trying in my sxs. He bought his after driving another guy's 6x6 accidentally off a 6' ledge and was able to drive off and continue hunting. He has done a number of improvements and just went to a smaller tire as well. I would love to have one as well but the sxs I have is more than adequate for what I need.

Comment

Originally posted by ACNDHO View Post
                            After a couple years with mine.... NO!
                            We also have a full size Ranger crew but if we could only have one it would be the 6x6!
                            Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
                            "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

I just went out of my way to get a 2015 6x6 sxs, i love it.
                              Josh
                              Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Comment

With a 2016 I would not be able to get a warranty buying used? That might stop me.
                                Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X